Met Gala 2018

None of this is doing it for me.
I was apprehensive about this being the theme, especially with how abundant tackiness is in the industry at the moment, all of the creative industries, really... and honestly, I don't feel I was wrong. I'm wondering if I misinterpreted the concept, though.

There were a few good theme moments (Zendaya), I didn't expect there to be more, regardless of the rich, delicious history of Catholicism.
Some of the dresses were actually quite beautiful, not necessarily on theme, but beautiful creations nonetheless.

You know what, though? I'm disappointed that nobody kissed the ground!

That would be on theme.

Reactions: 1 user
Strictly speaking about the dress/costume, I liked the fact that Rihanna dressed as the pope, and the whole outfit is thorough and impressive. Her body is another story.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
God, Alexa Chung looks amazing. That dress is not fully the theme but beautiful.

• Agree
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Jennifer Connelly :luv:
GettyImages-955761892_master.w768.h1154.jpg

Liu Wen :luv:
GettyImages-955767230_master.w768.h1154.jpg

Bradley Cooper and Irina Shayk
GettyImages-955761398_master.w768.h1154.jpg

Sienna Miller
GettyImages-955758104_master.w768.h1154.jpg

Andreea Diaconu
GettyImages-955754780_master.w768.h1154.jpg

Ming Xi
GettyImages-955752142_master.w768.h768.jpg

Amal Clooney
GettyImages-955735316_master.w768.h1154.jpg

Kate Moss :slinkout:
GettyImages-955750982_master.w768.h1154.jpg

Shawn Mendez and Hailey Baldwin looking like they're headed to Senior Prom
GettyImages-955757896_master.w768.h1154.jpg

I LOVED Frances McDormand's Valentino look. Overall kind of disappointed with the general trend of "vaguely interesting headpiece + boring dress", but this knocked it out of the park for me.
07-frances-mcdormand-lede.w710.h473.jpg
frances-mcdormand-1.jpg

Plus a bonus pic with Lena Waithe, who came through with a fun gay take on the theme:
Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 12.01.51 PM.png

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Can we take a second to appreciate how horrible this outfit is?
It's like a poorly made carnival costume.
I feel like she's trying sooo hard to be "edgy" and "artsy" while looking like a 45 year old housewive who wants to talk to the manager.
I'm over it.

Attachments

• Katy-Perry-2018-Met-Gala.jpg
    Katy-Perry-2018-Met-Gala.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users
7ED2E6ED-8010-44D9-9667-E5E92574EB06.jpeg

Wow I guess I’m the only one that liked Taylor’s outfit. :supershame: It was very minimal and sleek while also following the theme.

E2951AAE-E2E7-4C96-B3B2-D2101EF0BF4B.jpeg

FEEAF59F-FA41-40EE-93C6-CF799765DA93.jpeg

I also love the makeup and hair.
2B513A6C-59FB-4A82-90A4-485BB3072E5B.jpeg

• Agree
  • Disagree
  • Dislike
Reactions: 8 users
I seem to have made disagreeing with you a habit, @NewYorkSkinny, but I don't find the "slutty cardinal" look particularly sophisticated. Naively theatrical more like it. But then again, the same can be said for the majority of the guests. Shoutout to Katy Perry, Rihanna, and Blake Lively for their superlative tackiness.

Re: Bella, I was half expecting she'd just wrap herself in a piece of organza and come as a cherub, but for once she forewent the opportunity to show off maximum skin, even if the caricaturish styling continues. Dior does a better gothic pope, of course, but I guess she's tied her name to Chrome Hearts for now.

CHRISTIAN-DIOR-FALL-2000-HC-34.jpg

Rosie played it safe but looks good imo. Same with Bosworth.

• Agree
  • Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: 9 users
Natasha Poly
Natasha.jpg

Anna Wintour
anna wintour.jpg

Adwoa Aboah
AdwoaAboah.jpg

Mica Arganaraz, Anja Rubik, Anthony Vaccarello, Amber Valletta, Kate Moss, Charlotte Casiraghi, & Charlotte Gainsbourg
MicaAnjaAnthonyAmberKateCharX2.jpg

Anya Taylor-Joy
Anya Taylor Joy.jpg

Emily Ratajkowski
Emily-Ratajkowski-Met-Gala-Dress-2018.jpg

Jasmine Sanders
Jasmine-Sanders-Met-Gala-Dress-2018.jpg

Jennifer Lopez
jennifer-lopez-met-gala-2018.jpg

Rita Ora
Rita-Ora-Prada-Met-Gala-Dress-2018.jpg

Natasha Poly
View attachment 24095

Anna Wintour
View attachment 24096

Adwoa Aboah
View attachment 24097

Mica Arganaraz, Anja Rubik, Anthony Vaccarello, Amber Valletta, Kate Moss, Charlotte Casiraghi, & Charlotte Gainsbourg
View attachment 24098

Anya Taylor-Joy
View attachment 24099

Emily Ratajkowski
View attachment 24100

Jasmine Sanders
View attachment 24101

Jennifer Lopez
View attachment 24102

Rita Ora
View attachment 24103
Em Rata’s dress looks like those shiny foils I wrap my low-kcal sandwiches in...

• Funny
Reactions: 3 users

I'm probably in the minority here but I really liked Cara's look. I love the confession box reference and something about the lines just please me (though it definitely didn't translate as well in motion or in certain poses). The pastel pink hair really irks me because I feel like it could have been fantastic as a plum or warmer hue to match her makeup (which I also loved despite her skin breaking out).

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users
I'm probably in the minority here but I really liked Cara's look. I love the confession box reference and something about the lines just please me (though it definitely didn't translate as well in motion or in certain poses). The pastel pink hair really irks me because I feel like it could have been fantastic as a plum or warmer hue to match her makeup (which I also loved despite her skin breaking out).

I liked it as well... for the most part anyway. I really liked the concept/confessional reference. I think where the panties hit her at the hip, and the skirt hit her at the waist, with the overlapping cage bit in the middle, threw her proportions off. It really shorted her legs (which aren't exactly long to begin with) and lengthened her torso in an odd way. I'd like to have seen it with entirely the cage pattern (nude illusion) or the usual high waisted panty - the weird black brief in the middle broke things up in the wrong way. The head/face piece was clever, both as a confessional reference, and as a way to help hide the breakout.

Reactions: 1 user
Thoughts overall: This year was considerably better executed than last year on average...there were a lot of crowns,sure, but it was at least not horribly misunderstood for the most part. Personally my winners of the night were Zendaya, Kate Bosworth, an Lily Collins, with all of the gucci looks (lana del ray squad and nick cave and his wife) as runner ups. Sure, LDR looked ridiculous, but it was really epic, especially as an ensemble. Diane Kruger looked great (almost her best ever) but it was pretty off theme and seemed a bit lost). Most men, as usual, were boring as hell. Losers in my opinion are always those who completely avoid the theme (cindy crawford, doutzen, lily aldridge, and kate moss were particular wtf's) but the overall losers for me were Taylor Hill and Shaliene. Both looked like they ordered their costumes on amazon prime the night before, and Taylor's was like a misunderstood cheongsam. Bad. At least this year was more fun than it has been in quite some time.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: 9 users
Well that didn't take long - of course the DailyMail can always be counted on for this sort of thing.

Sins against style! Shailene Woodley leads the list of worst dressed fashion nightmares at the Met Gala in a Tin Man-esque dress, as Zoe Kravitz rebels against the religious theme by wearing NO underwear
  • Shailene, 26, looked more like a soldier than a star in her silver ensemble, which resembled a suit of armor
  • Meanwhile 29-year-old Zoe Kravitz wore an incredibly risque dress that featured a waist-high slit
  • Frances McDormand, 60, and Rita Ora, 27, both hit a bum note in their bizarre headdresses
  • Other celebrities who landed themselves on this year's worst dressed list include Doutzen Kroes, Bella Hadid, Cynthia Erivo, and Eiza Gonzalez
  • Kate Moss, Amber Valletta, and Lara Spencer all wore sky-high hemlines that were slightly inappropriate given the theme of the night, Heavenly Bodies: Fashion & The Catholic Imagination
Full article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5701453/The-worst-dressed-Met-Gala-2018.html

Well that didn't take long - of course the DailyMail can always be counted on for this sort of thing.

Sins against style! Shailene Woodley leads the list of worst dressed fashion nightmares at the Met Gala in a Tin Man-esque dress, as Zoe Kravitz rebels against the religious theme by wearing NO underwear
  • Shailene, 26, looked more like a soldier than a star in her silver ensemble, which resembled a suit of armor
  • Meanwhile 29-year-old Zoe Kravitz wore an incredibly risque dress that featured a waist-high slit
  • Frances McDormand, 60, and Rita Ora, 27, both hit a bum note in their bizarre headdresses
  • Other celebrities who landed themselves on this year's worst dressed list include Doutzen Kroes, Bella Hadid, Cynthia Erivo, and Eiza Gonzalez
  • Kate Moss, Amber Valletta, and Lara Spencer all wore sky-high hemlines that were slightly inappropriate given the theme of the night, Heavenly Bodies: Fashion & The Catholic Imagination
Full article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5701453/The-worst-dressed-Met-Gala-2018.html
don't know how short hemlines are somehow against theme.... they meant catholic imagination (is sin not a part of that) not catholic nunnery

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users