Marine Deleeuw

Zaful swimwear? :facepalm:Next stop on this train (or should I say train wreck?) is Flat Tummy Tea or Sugar Bear Hair endorsements. Let’s hope she’s not going that broke.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

From her insta stories today.... she really is looking very average. She’s gaining some muscle tone (I guess?) but her waist is so much less defined, and she just looks so much bigger than her skinny runway days :confused:

she just looks so much bigger than her skinny runway days :confused:
Idk, I don't really have a problem with the way she's maintaining her figure now. The ultra-skinny runway look isn't maintainable for most models- Vlada, Snejana, Sasha Luss have all gained- and Marine still looks good, and good for her that she's getting toned. She isn't doing much HF anyway these days so it's better that she's still skinny in a maintainable way than if she gained a ton of weight and got flabby. Her lifestyle is health-centric and inspiring (if not kind of annoying on Instagram). She's not the killer thinspo still that some people here make her out to be, but I think she's doing just fine.

Still could do without the dumb IG body checks though.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Idk, I don't really have a problem with the way she's maintaining her figure now. The ultra-skinny runway look isn't maintainable for most models- Vlada, Snejana, Sasha Luss have all gained- and Marine still looks good, and good for her that she's getting toned. She isn't doing much HF anyway these days so it's better that she's still skinny in a maintainable way than if she gained a ton of weight and got flabby. Her lifestyle is health-centric and inspiring (if not kind of annoying on Instagram). She's not the killer thinspo still that some people here make her out to be, but I think she's doing just fine.

Still could do without the dumb IG body checks though.
Yes, that’s a good point. She’s no longer one of my favourites or thinspo (mostly my point in my last post), but she clearly has a clean and healthy diet and takes fitness seriously. While she may not look tiny anymore, the more fit look does suit her imo. And honestly, that’s a much better outlook than a lot of other previous skinny’s have nowadays.

I am getting increasingly irritated by her presence in stories, does she realize she looks completely and utterly ridiculous doing all these body checks videos?!

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
I am getting increasingly irritated by her presence in stories, does she realize she looks completely and utterly ridiculous doing all these body checks videos?!
That and the documenting every part of her day. Like it's one thing documenting events, photoshoots, fun moments with friends, but her stories are just mundane daily shit and seem borderline TMI. "Walking to Whole Foods because I missed the train! Purchased a watermelon, 3 bags of lettuce, and 4 sweet potatoes! Now I'm drinking an iced tea, walking to yoga! Here's what I'm having for dinner tonight." Someone should get her a diary or something..

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
That and the documenting every part of her day. Like it's one thing documenting events, photoshoots, fun moments with friends, but her stories are just mundane daily shit and seem borderline TMI. "Walking to Whole Foods because I missed the train! Purchased a watermelon, 3 bags of lettuce, and 4 sweet potatoes! Now I'm drinking an iced tea, walking to yoga! Here's what I'm having for dinner tonight." Someone should get her a diary or something..

What's bizarre is that it seems very at odds with her previous idgaf, blasé attitude as can be witnessed from 6:50 in this video. I'm assuming that was filmed more than a year a half ago and someone can change vastly, however it's funny to think it's the same Marine that was going to bore us to death with her daily ethical shopping sprees.

Love how nice the translations were to what she was actually saying, ('he was very boring' --> 'il m'a vraiment trop fait chier' (he really pissed me off, and at 7:10 in place of 'leave me alone' she said 'dégage putain laisse-moi vivre' (fuck off let me live))

• Agree
  • Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Edit: this was totally 7 years ago, it said it multiple times in the video :supershame:nonetheless funny to see the transformation

her previous idgaf, blasé attitude

It's a lot easier to have a blasé attitude when the world is your oyster. I can't imagine it's easy as a HF model when your friends in other lines of work are finally spreading their wings for the first time, while you feel washed up and cast aside in favor of a new crop of younger, skinnier, *fresher* faces. I think what she's up to on SM these days is, at heart, not that different from Snejana's antics: a plea for relevance.
37374020902_a3a988cd53_b.jpg

I don't dislike her face, but regardless of how much it's affectation and how much just resting triste face, Marine always has a melancholic look, even when she's smiling. Sure, urbane tormented-artist chic might be a thing, but I'm not sure what exactly she's supposed to be selling with a face like that. Blazers/trench coats? Cigarette holders? Artsy trinkets of the sort found on Etsy? Should she star in an advertorial for an indie bookstore?

Despite her really nice boobs, she's never featured in a VSFS afaict, whereas tons of models--including classically beautiful (rather than cute-sexy) ones such as Natasha Poly--can make the glitz 'n' glam bubblegum-pink pageantry work for at least one night. Which is sort of to say, while doing VSFS and swimwear aren't equivalent, they have a number of similarities--including needing to come across as 'fun' and 'carefree'--qualities one doesn't get from Marine. Not surprising that she isn't getting to promote higher-end swimwear brands. (Or really, much of anything.)

There are ways to transition out of modelling gracefully; I hope (if she doesn't resurrect her HF career) she finds one.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Ha! I also have a melancholic face (we even look alike, a bit) and your post really made me think.
I never was selling anything but now when I think about it, looking sad all the time is disadvantage in our extroverted, bubbly society :hahano:

It's a lot easier to have a blasé attitude when the world is your oyster. I can't imagine it's easy as a HF model when your friends in other lines of work are finally spreading their wings for the first time, while you feel washed up and cast aside in favor of a new crop of younger, skinnier, *fresher* faces. I think what she's up to on SM these days is, at heart, not that different from Snejana's antics: a plea for relevance.
37374020902_a3a988cd53_b.jpg

I don't dislike her face, but regardless of how much it's affectation and how much just resting triste face, Marine always has a melancholic look, even when she's smiling. Sure, urbane tormented-artist chic might be a thing, but I'm not sure what exactly she's supposed to be selling with a face like that. Blazers/trench coats? Cigarette holders? Artsy trinkets of the sort found on Etsy? Should she star in an advertorial for an indie bookstore?

Despite her really nice boobs, she's never featured in a VSFS afaict, whereas tons of models--including classically beautiful (rather than cute-sexy) ones such as Natasha Poly--can make the glitz 'n' glam bubblegum-pink pageantry work for at least one night. Which is sort of to say, while doing VSFS and swimwear aren't equivalent, they have a number of similarities--including needing to come across as 'fun' and 'carefree'--qualities one doesn't get from Marine. Not surprising that she isn't getting to promote higher-end swimwear brands. (Or really, much of anything.)

There are ways to transition out of modelling gracefully; I hope (if she doesn't resurrect her HF career) she finds one.
Who cares if she has a melancholic face? It is ridiculous to say it doesn't sell. If Nobis wasn't choosing to retire she would keep booking forever. Aymeline, Freja, Kasia...it is crazy to suggest melancholy doesn't sell.

• Agree
Who cares if she has a melancholic face? It is ridiculous to say it doesn't sell. If Nobis wasn't choosing to retire she would keep booking forever. Aymeline, Freja, Kasia...it is crazy to suggest melancholy doesn't sell.
Agree with this completely. A lot of people (myself included) prefer a more melancholic face: After all, Vlada and Kate Moss don’t exactly look bubbly and cheerful now do they? Yet both were extremely successful due to their unique looks (heroin chic anyone?). I do think Marine is a bit old to book many major runway shows, but just because she doesn’t suit brands like VS this doesn’t mean she can’t book other jobs.

Agree with this completely. A lot of people (myself included) prefer a more melancholic face: After all, Vlada and Kate Moss don’t exactly look bubbly and cheerful now do they? Yet both were extremely successful due to their unique looks (heroin chic anyone?). I do think Marine is a bit old to book many major runway shows, but just because she doesn’t suit brands like VS this doesn’t mean she can’t book other jobs.
To add to this I think that a melancholic face can actually be an advantage for a model if she isn’t looking to book super commercial jobs (like VS)... If you look at most HF ads and editorials they tend to favor “melancholic” faces as they usually look much more elegant.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

I don't think we are referring to the same thing. By 'melancholic', I don't mean just the absence of stereotypical VS attributes like 'bubbly'. I mean something specific to Marine, an almost moist-eyed balefulness that permeates her seemingly every look. I brought up VSFS because a) there was discussion above about her third-rate swimwear campaigns; and 2) it is not a bad litmus test IMO for how much of a blank slate a model can be (see example of Poly, or if you like, Anja and many others).

Elegance. Ennui. Sultriness. Can Marine convey any of those without a (liberal) tinge of wistfulness? Mossy's 'heroin chic' CK underwear ad. Freja's (or Abbey Lee's or anyone's) Le Smoking. Sub in Marine and how would those work? (The latter...almost, but not quite?)

For a generic example of something that is entirely different from VS, consider a Cartier campaign. I contend that all of the girls you've mentioned between you two would work better than Marine. All to different effect--Vlada vs Freja, for instance--but all with a certain refinement *sans melancholy* that is conducive to such an aspirational image/message.

I thought her work for Free People a few years back was bang-on (as in, probably no one would have been more suitable, by a long shot), but in general...dunno. I'd be inclined to say The Kooples or Zadig&Voltaire, but they seem to be into loud florals and laughing girls these days.

Also, none of this is a statement on what I think Marine 'deserves' or whether I think she's a 'good' model (I wouldn't mind seeing her doing better); I am merely trying to make a connection between her (very distinct) look and her (recent) success/opportunities.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Oh honey no.... I know this horse is beyond dead but seriously how does she not feel embarrassed to be posting shit like this??

• Agree
And she doest look that good...? (though by no means bad)

The looks she gives us are as dull as her Instagram stories

She has a pretty face, a beautiful xylo and not much more to offer. Neither over- nor underrated imho.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user