Marilyn Monroe

A

AmorFlaco

I searched and I don't believe there's a thread on her... so I'll start one. Her life was very hard and her weight controversial. Ever heard "Marilyn Monroe was a size 16". Do you believe that? Truth is her weight fluctuated a lot. She was probably on drugs though...

tumblr_l837zamiXz1qclffjo1_250.jpg

408286.1010.A.jpg

tumblr_lc7e2jwACp1qzhpn8o1_500.gif

But she was also a little slim at times...

Marilyn-Monroe-10.jpg

marilyn-monroe-20080107-359600.jpg

tumblr_lv9972ExAM1r6bnr5o1_400.jpg

marilyn-monroe-in-gentle-1-1.jpg

I don't know why people consider her to be so iconic. She does nothing for me :/

She was a size 16, yes,
BUT THAT WAS NOT A MODERN DAY 16.
the biggest she ever was was a UK12-14 (modern)
which is a US8-10.
she was never that big, just very curvy.
i don't really care for her.
very fake, very ditzy, very blonde. doesnt do it for me...

Ditzy, self-assured, chubby-ish blonde who was sexualized in every photo... Kate Upton? Is that you?

(I say these things partly as a joke, but if all those random quotes that she supposedly said are true, she wasn't the brightest and most humble little lady).

She definitely wasn't skinny (I heard she was a U.S 12 or fourteen) but she was very proportionate. None of that lower half that looks twice the size of your lower half :mad:

I don't know why people consider her to be so iconic. She does nothing for me :/

She was a size 16, yes,
BUT THAT WAS NOT A MODERN DAY 16.
the biggest she ever was was a UK12-14 (modern)
which is a US8-10.
she was never that big, just very curvy.
i don't really care for her.
very fake, very ditzy, very blonde. doesnt do it for me...

Ditzy, self-assured, chubby-ish blonde who was sexualized in every photo... Kate Upton? Is that you?

(I say these things partly as a joke, but if all those random quotes that she supposedly said are true, she wasn't the brightest and most humble little lady).

^^^ YESS!

Why isn't she in takedowns!!!! :mad:

Sorry I don't like her.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, I believe she was pregnant in that "classic" white bikini picture that big girls love to tout as "ICONIC PROOF THAT CURVES ARE BEAUTIFUL".

You can see it in her eyes, she's miserable in the heavier pictures.
Hell, I'll go so far as to say she was miserable most of her life. I don't get why girls (looking at you Lindsay Lohan, Megan Fox) romanticize her to the point of worship. She's not a goddess, just an icon.
She was a symbol of her time. Now she's dead. End story.

I guess those of you who don´t like her, it´s partly because she´s often referred to by fatties who use her as an excuse for bringing on the good old "curves" and "real woman" argument.
Which is irritating, because Marylin was curvy for sure, but not in the way the term is misused nowadays. She didn´t deserve to be a mascot for chubby chicks who need to hide behind a famous person.

Reactions: 1 user
^^^ YESS!

Why isn't she in takedowns!!!! :mad:

Sorry I don't like her.

Marilyn had a disturbing childhood, unsuccessful marriages and she died when she was only 36 years old – to sum it up, she had a very lonely and sad life, so what exactly is the point of this “takedown”? She is dead, end of story.

Reactions: 1 users
Marilyn had a disturbing childhood, unsuccessful marriages and she died when she was only 36 years old – to sum it up, she had a very lonely and sad life, so what exactly is the point of this “takedown”? She is dead, end of story.

What pity. I didn't know that. In fact, the only thing I know about her is from others & how much people LOVE to mention her, everywhere I go as if she was someone of great influence.

I wanted her in takedown because of how live people still perceive her as the icon of perfect beauty & body, even though she presented herself with quiet distastefulness.

Though, I'd suggest this thread to be in the "Pity" section, except there isn't one.

exactly why this isn't in the takedown section. the reason i started this thread is to make a point of how lame the excuse "Marilyn Monroe had curves, too!" is.

no you don't "have curves", you're just fat. people who say that annoy me.

I guess those of you who don´t like her, it´s partly because she´s often referred to by fatties who use her as an excuse for bringing on the good old "curves" and "real woman" argument.
Which is irritating, because Marylin was curvy for sure, but not in the way the term is misused nowadays. She didn´t deserve to be a mascot for chubby chicks who need to hide behind a famous person.

Actually no, I never liked her, even before I was exposed to the self love fatty movement using her as an excuse. I don't find her attractive and find it disturbing that people see her as a role model after what her life consisted of. Should I feel bad for her? Maybe. But she isn't a role model, icon, thinspo, or anything that I look up to.

The more I read about Marilyn Monroe, the more I adore her. I do think she was very sexy, but that doesn't all have to do with her looks. The times have changed and so has the view of the perfect body. Why I love her though is that she seems to have been a truly kind hearted women who managed with some very real forms of depression yet was able to really be a bright light to many.

Also, I believe she was pregnant in that "classic" white bikini picture that big girls love to tout as "ICONIC PROOF THAT CURVES ARE BEAUTIFUL".

You can see it in her eyes, she's miserable in the heavier pictures.
Hell, I'll go so far as to say she was miserable most of her life. I don't get why girls (looking at you Lindsay Lohan, Megan Fox) romanticize her to the point of worship. She's not a goddess, just an icon.
She was a symbol of her time. Now she's dead. End story.

And she is not role model either... I relly don't get why girls look up to her... what is there to admire?

Audrey Hepburn was a size 8 and Grace Kelly was a size 10. Size two and four of today. So when fatties say: "Marilyn was a size 16!" you can tell them that a size 16 of the 1950's was the equivalent of a size 10 today. Not skinny, but not fat either. Also, taking in mind that she was very proportionate...
I never liked Marilyn's attitude. She was a diva, had no class, acted pretty much like the Kim Kardashian of the 1950's and she was a drug addict. Also, she was a bad actress who arrived late on set and made Gregory Peck refuse a movie proposal because he didn't want to deal with a dumb blonde. I heard that Marilyn had a high IQ, but degrading yourself and making people think you are dumb is one of the stupidest things you can do.

Marilyn was the daughter of a schizophrenic mother and who's father was not in her life at all. As a result of this she ended up in the foster system for most of her childhood and had to leave at least a couple of foster homes due to sexual assaults and/or attempts by men in her life beginning in pre-adolescence which most likely contributed to her adult oversexualization and depression. She married a boyfriend two years before she was even legal to avoid ending up a ward of the state again when her guardians were moving a declined to take her with them. She was a homemaker and he enlisted in the Marines and was shipped off. Clearly this marriage disolved and and she eventually became the figure we know. What most people don't know is that she was far from dumb and was an avid reader and diarist, concerned herself quite a bit with her diet and excercise routine (which in our time would be clearly lacking but in her time females weight lifting at all was rather unheard of) and desperately wanted to be a mother but was never able to carry a pregancy full term. She was surprisingly unmaterialistic and size-wise she was actually tiny.

from Shape.com
According to her dressmaker, she was 5’5 ½ and fluctuated between 118 and 140 pounds, with measurements that ranged between:

Bust: 35-37″

Waist: 22-23″

Hips: 35-36″

At either weight (118 and 140), Marilyn’s body mass index would fall within the normal 18.5 – 24.9 range – the numbers work out to 19.3 on the low end and 22.9 on the high end (I know BMI is flawed, but without knowing her body fat percentage, it’s the only viable estimate of weight status). Even at her heaviest, Marilyn was by no means overweight.

Simon Doonan wrote an article about his experience sorting and showcasing the items from her estate and was shocked to find that her clothes were too small for regular bustforms, they had to have special one made:
http://mobile.slate.com/articles/ar...marilyn_monroe_fat_her_secrets_revealed_.html

Her "diet and fitness" routine:
http://www.withamymac.com/news/2011/02/14/marilyn-monroe-fitness/

marilyn-monroe-9-exercise.jpg

An article about her love of reading complete with the list of (I believe) all 400 titles she had in her library at the time of her death:
http://www.booktryst.com/2010/10/marilyn-monroe-avid-reader-writer-book.html?m=1

anc.00151.017.jpg

A Vanity Fair article about the secrets her diaries, notes and letters reveal about her life:
http://m.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2008/10/marilyn200810

Her Wikipedia, if you want to know more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Marilyn_Monroe&mobileaction=toggle_view_desktop

I, personally, view her as a rather tragic figure/cautionary tale instead of a role model but I definitely think she was beautiful and fascinating. I think that the thing about her that captures people is that even though her onscreen persona was always the dumb, ditzy blonde there was an inherent sweetness in her and all of the struggles, flaws and issues she had give her a very tangible realness. Same thing that I think makes Britney Spears so popular.

As far as this thing with people wanting to make her the poster girl for the "curvy" movement with their "She was a 16!!!" bull crap, all I can say is, ignorance is bliss. She was a tiny woman and no fatty will ever have her figure. It's not even realistic. It's unfair to hold anyone up to the standard of a genetic anomally. Her figure is no more attainable for most people than a supermodel's. Peeps need to stop worrying about convincing anyone else that there is just ONE look that is beautiful and better and start worrying about working with what they have and becoming the best version of themselves. Whatever that may be. Live and let live.

TL;DR - Sorry this is so long.

Reactions: 2 users
I used to really like, and be inspired by, Marilyn Monroe. And then I realized she is simply used by large girls to justify their "curves." Don't like her so much anymore.

She is not my favorite but I don't really think it's fair to hold people from the past up to today's standards. She was a pin up girl who wanted to be a star, and was willing to do what she had to do to get there at that time. And she was successful. Nowadays people do far worse for much less.