Man Repeller – "Meet Mina White, Director for IMG Models, on Size Diversity"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Kelly, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Kelly

Kelly Worker Bee

https://www.manrepeller.com/2018/09/mina-white-img-models-interview.html

2. proseccoprincess

proseccoprincess Worker Bee

I always find it kind of annoying when people equate plus size models with "diversity" in the industry. A model's race, sexual orientation, gender identity, disabilities, background, appearance characteristics (anything from freckles to vitiligo) is something that she can't change, which is why this kind of diversity is a good thing and ultimately benefits consumers, as well as the public, as we gain appreciation for different and unusual types of beauty. A model who is 50 pounds heavier than sample size does not fall into this category, as no one is "naturally" overweight. Mina is quick to lump in "curve" models with general diversity without really elaborating or considering the distinction between the two.

As humans, we have the capability to make our bodies extremely skinny, and extremely fat. Sure, people are built differently, some people may be curvier, have wider breasts/hips, have trouble losing or gaining weight. However, first of all, we see this type of body diversity even with sample size models- some girls are rectangle shaped while others have more of an hourglass figure, some girls have a more athletic look whereas others go for the "waif" look (either "naturally" or just through heavy restriction without much exercise), some girls have larger breasts and hips and therefore book more lingerie/swim jobs while others are more flat and book more artistic/high fashion jobs. "Plus size" is not a unique body shape, it's just what happens when you eat too much and don't get off of your couch.

That's why this article sort of annoyed me. Mina spoke about the need for "size diversity" in the industry, but why? Editorial and runway modeling is not supposed to be for everyone. The clothing looks better on skinny girls and it's much more convenient for designers to make one sample size. The majority of the population do NOT look like runway models- it's not just fatties who don't identify with them. A consumer is most likely shorter, less attractive, heavier but not necessarily plus sized- think sizes 2 through 10- and just generally doesn't look like the models she sees on the runway. The point is- models are attractive, and that's why they look good in the clothes. The average plus size girl does not look like Ashley Graham, just like the average skinny girl does not look like Kaia Gerber.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 3
  3. christinechina

christinechina Worker Bee

I mean, no matter how many “curvier” girls book jobs, I’ll still always see skinny as beautiful :mclap::seeya:

If people want “”””curvier”””” models, fine. But don’t expect me to like them :meh:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Skinnybubbly

Skinnybubbly Worker Bee

When will these people get it through their heads that modeling is meant to MODEL the damn clothes? It’s supposed to be like seeing the clothes on a fucking hanger only it is put on a body so you can see it in movement..in its natural form. We don’t need your curves filling them all the way in to the point where we can’t see the original shape of the clothing....
    I understand models are needed for plus sized companies and what not but can they please for the love of God stop reaching for high fashion jobs and expecting to be put in Victoria’s Secret!

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. FailedSupermodel

FailedSupermodel Worker Bee

Here's my rant about size diversity in the modeling industry.
    In order to get accepted into the United States Military
    you must:
    -Be between the ages of 17 and 40 (but you don't hear anyone complaining about the military being AGEIST)
    -Be in good health (but you don't hear people complaining about the military excluding people of poor health)
    -Have never suffered from any kind of mental illness (again, no one complains about the military excluding people with mental illnesses)

In order to join the military, you must meet certain requirements. If you do not meet those requirements, you cannot join. The Military shouldn't have to cater its requirements to match your needs. The military doesn't need quantity, it needs quality. Just like modeling.
    It sucks that my age permanently disqualifies me from modeling and it sucks that my depression permanently disqualifies me from the military, but that is life. You cant be apart of every club!

You don't hear people saying MENSA is shaming to those with low IQ's
    You don't hear people saying the body building industry is shaming to those who aren't naturally muscular.
    People seem to understand that these groups aren't for everyone and that's OK.

So why is the modeling world different? Is it because the modeling world is dominated by stunning skinny women? Is it because our society is still sexist and has to police what we women can and cannot do with our bodies?

I think people who complain about modeling requirements are.. special snowflakes. And slightly misogynistic. You are not owed or entitled acceptance in this industry just because you want it. And our bodies don't exist to please you.
    If anything, just to appease the snowflakes, give them there own separate models.com type website. Have your own corner to yourselves and leave us alone... Larger bodies aren't meant for HF like Skinny Bubbly said. Models aren't supposed to make you feel good about yourself, they're supposed to display clothes.

im so nervous about this comment oh my god

• Love Love x 3
  6. proseccoprincess

proseccoprincess Worker Bee

If I could react to comments I'd give this every positive rating that exists:bow:

• Love Love x 1
  7. christinechina

christinechina Worker Bee

I agree, fundamentally, with what you’re saying, but I would also argue that the military’s requirements make sense in that the people in the military are supposed to be be protecting other people/the military has a very important place in security, safety, etc. Like, modeling is all well and good, but I’m not sure you can compare it to being in the military. Both are tough jobs, but I would say that what people do in the military has a bigger chance of actually impacting people’s lives (for the better or the worse). Of course they want healthy people who are at their “peak” ages-these people are supposed to be physically capable of handling the demands that serving in the military entails.

Just to clarify-I do agree with you, this size diversity movement is kind of irritating (like, if you really wanted to “”””represent”””” people, wouldn’t it make more sense to use more average weight than blatantly overweight people? But I digress). I just wasn’t exactly sure that modeling and serving in the military were comparable in the way that you made them out to be.

But at the end of the day, it’s just my opinion and you are all free to disregard it :D

(Please don’t feel like I was trying to call you out in any way, shape, or form-I really wasn’t and I definitely appreciate your contributions to SGF! <3)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. FailedSupermodel

FailedSupermodel Worker Bee

I wasn't trying to make modeling look like a big badass thing that is in some way as badass as the military, i was pointing out how people seem to respect that all other industries and organizations that have requirements. everyone seems to collectively understand that MENSA, the Military and even Bodybuilding are industries that have a set of requirements (that no one seems to bitch about, or not at the same extent as modeling) that you must meet in order to join. I think modeling should be treated the same as mensa and bodybuilding at the very least. its an organization that most arent allowed in (like mensa), it has requirements that most dont meet (like the military), and you have to push your body to the extreme sometimes (like body building).