Lily Rose Depp

Well, that's their environment. Your parents are in the entretainment industry, you watch them work, you see how society praises them, you are attracted to that type of job.
I will blame it on our celebrity obssesed culture. If being an engineer or a teacher was as praised as being an actor or a musician you would see how that industry grows.
my dad was in tech and i don't rush to do the same--you don't expect normal people to follow suit with their family's profession, so why should celebutantes? Maybe I'm jaded from where i grew up but i have no sympathy or respect for any of these kids--all nepotism and coddling, little effort, lots of vanity

Reactions: 8 users
Sidenote--does it not depress/annoy anyone else that every single celebrity child (ok not all, but let's be real, it's a vast majority) follows suit and goes into film, modeling, or some other "it" industry, where they will earn money and fame with virtually no effort-the day i see an actor's child as a doctor, lawyer, humanitarian, engineer, research scientist, teacher.....anything that actually benefits society....

It doesn't annoy me. I've met some of these kids as well - and as I expected - they are never as happy as they try to portray. A few know that "no one of importance" actually gives a shit about them (they are simply shiny products, commodities); the others are idiots who think the world revolves around them :eyeroll:. It's a sad life really, and I pity the young ones who try to emulate them. I always joke to my friends that this is nature's way of revealing the weak to us. Anyway if tech keeps accelerating at the pace that it is now , I think we will have much bigger things to worry about than celebrities. And I honestly hope we do.
Lol I know I sound a little nuts!

I don't particularly loathe celeb culture, but as we've mentioned time and time again on the forums, our society has lost the "art of art". We seem to be more interested in creating and manufacturing celebrity deities’.

Your post reminds me of Jack Gleeson's speech at Oxford; it's worth watching.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Sidenote--does it not depress/annoy anyone else that every single celebrity child (ok not all, but let's be real, it's a vast majority) follows suit and goes into film, modeling, or some other "it" industry, where they will earn money and fame with virtually no effort-the day i see an actor's child as a doctor, lawyer, humanitarian, engineer, research scientist, teacher.....anything that actually benefits society....

it's kind of always been that way. This really isn't anything new. Like back in the Golden Era of Hollywood, if your parents were famous then you were too.

Reactions: 1 user
it's kind of always been that way. This really isn't anything new. Like back in the Golden Era of Hollywood, if your parents were famous then you were too.

Yea back then they gave birth to kids with potential, most strove to be at least half as good as their parents. And no one was obsessed with talent-less kids. You simply can't compare that era (though it had it's own faults) to whatever this is.

Last edited:
To a point. It's easy to see how modeling and film are fruitless industries, but I don't find art or music to be at all. There's not a soul who would say music hasn't affected them. What bothers me the most is when someone wants to involve themself in ever industry, only to be shitty in them.

I understand the logic behind these comments, but how many people would not want a life that came easy? I'm all for any backfire, but IN reality, who would want to choose a difficult life when they know nothing else? Sure, we believe lives like that are near useless, but that's only because we know how life is outside of it and they don't.

Because someone's parents are famous does not mean someone is born talented, but it also doesn't mean they don't have talented. They're only born into that immediate entitlement.

I think that being a public figure can be just as important as a doctor, but yeah like @FrançoiseEllyn says it isn't fair to compare them. Films and the film industry has a major impact on people and that is very important and also very dangerous. Most famous people use their notoriety to try and bring social change and I really don't see an issue with that...it gets the public interested.

I do understand where you are coming from @espressoenthusiast, I'm sure most of these kids are really entitled brats. I am studying and putting in hours of work everyday to probably end up being some assistant, whereas these kids don't even need to go to school and are automatically a household name. That is really painful. However, if I had their access I would do the same in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 1 users
The general population is not going to even compare it to a career as a doctor, teacher, or scientist. I'm not saying it's unimportant, but they're hardly comparable.
Haha but you weren't comparing it to a career as a doctor, teacher, or scientist. You were comparing it to a career as an artist or a musician..

Anyway, more on topic, I saw Lily-Rose a bit around PFW, at some after parties, spoke to her in fact. She's sweet, seems reserved, just hung around with her friend, and is really little. Wears a lot of makeup though.

Reactions: 6 users
The general population is not going to even compare it to a career as a doctor, teacher, or scientist. I'm not saying it's unimportant, but they're hardly comparable.

Haha but you weren't comparing it to a career as a doctor, teacher, or scientist. You were comparing it to a career as an artist or a musician..

To be honest, I didn't get the comparison either. Fashion is art? Film making is art? How does that differ from music or being a traditional 'artist'? Sure you have people like Kanye and Kim dabbling in 'fashun', or instagram 'models' who wish they were models, but you also have shitty musicians and artists who are just so painfully bad, they would be better off finding a different career. When any creative medium is great, it has the potential to make a huge impact. If you don't think fashion is art or that it can make a significant impact, maybe you're following the wrong 'models'/'designers'. Just look at any top model's portfolio or any top designer's collections.

To be honest, I didn't get the comparison either. Fashion is art? Film making is art? How does that differ from music or being a traditional 'artist'? Sure you have people like Kanye and Kim dabbling in 'fashun', or instagram 'models' who wish they were models, but you also have shitty musicians and artists who are just so painfully bad, they would be better off finding a different career. When any creative medium is great, it has the potential to make a huge impact. If you don't think fashion is art or that it can make a significant impact, maybe you're following the wrong 'models'/'designers'. Just look at any top model's portfolio or any top designer's collections.

Perhaps an unpopular opinion but, if you're going to make this comparison, the actors and/or models are not the ones who are making the contribution or inducing an impact. You don't celebrate a canvas or a guitar or a recording studio, after all.

Reactions: 2 users
While not necessary for survival, art is one of the most deeply human creations, and it could be said to be essential to the definition of being human. Fashion is an art not just in the clothes but in the editorials and the photographs and the shows, and the models are an integral part of that. The values of creativity versus functionality cannot and should not be compared.

Reactions: 3 users
She looks super young in those @Nymph ...hard for me to view her as thinspo because she looks like a child in makeup

Well, she is super young (16 years old, if I'm not wrong) but since unfortunatly I'm very childish face-wise I can only dream about the "mature" look for now, but I totally get what you mean!

24275866_9452407.jpg

On an unrelated note, Vanessa :luv: