Life After Vogue - Interview with Lucinda Chambers

curlycue

Worker Bee
May 8, 2012
Uh, LA, I guess?
Full Article

Vestoj has edited the article from it's original form to remove details surrounding her firing (that it was quick, unannounced to her current editor or HR, etc.), but otherwise relatively intact.

Some interesting quotes from the article to mull over and discuss:

There are very few fashion magazines that make you feel empowered. Truth be told, I haven’t read Vogue in years.

For this, I actually agree. I haven't read Vogue in years either. I'll flip through the editorials when I see interesting ones, but the articles have gotten so utterly bland and boring. Another terrible interview with Kim Kardashian-West *yawn*. Oh look, an blatheringly adoring review of Raf Simon's latest Calvin Klein collection. It's tone-deaf. I'd love actual, thoughtful critique of shows, clothes, and models. Vogue is so entrenched within the industry, it's hard to imagine they'd change.

Maybe I was too close to it after working there for so long, but I never felt I led a Vogue-y kind of life. The clothes are just irrelevant for most people – so ridiculously expensive. What magazines want today is the latest, the exclusive. It’s a shame that magazines have lost the authority they once had. They’ve stopped being useful.

This I have a bit harder time with. I certainly don't live a Vogue-y kind of life. While I'm in the 1%, I don't buy the latest couture or must-have bag. But I do love the way it looks. I love the air of it, even if I'm not going to go do it. It's functional, living art. It's use is in the presentation of art.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Am I the only one who finds this article really poorly executed? I saw the original version, too, and it's far from saucy, nor does it actually outline the promised life after the magazine. If anything, it reads like an incoherent meditation on Lucinda's career in fashion... not particularly relevant to the general audience.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Am I the only one who finds this article really poorly executed? I saw the original version, too, and it's far from saucy, nor does it actually outline the promised life after the magazine. If anything, it reads like an incoherent meditation on Lucinda's career in fashion... not particularly relevant to the general audience.

Couldn't agree more. I thought most of what she said was bollocks to be perfectly honest.

I did find it interesting that she never once mentioned good journalism as being important to the success of a magazine, just droned on about 'influence' in the last paragraph. It might explain why some of their articles read like a cut and paste job someone did for their blog with pinterest as the primary source material.