Leggings as pants/trousers, 'classy' or 'trashy'

S

SkinnyMeansPretty

Went grocery shopping with my mum today and this really chubby girl was wearing the thinnest pair of leggings ever with a short top. Aand! She was wearing a thong :(

'twas tres eww

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that if you are going to wear leggings as pants, you should do it with a tunic or shirt that hits mid thigh. Otherwise they definitely look trashy.

Reactions: 1 user
The only time I wear leggings is when I exercise at home. But I'm fat, so...

If a girl has a nice, slim body - tunic is OK. I saw a bartender girl wearing (almost see-through) leggings and tiny crop top the other day. Yes, she did have the amazing body, but still... On the other hand, she was getting loads of tips... :run:

Trashy. But it makes me giggle every time I see underwear or a little more of the girl's behind. How can they leave the house like that??
I've only seen two people wear it nicely, and one of them said I could definitely pull it off, so I brought one. Tried it on like a 1000 times at home and thought no, I can't wear this out even with tunics or long tops, it just feels a little bare to me and it's still sitting in my drawer with the tags on. Worst money ever spent. :smash:

I read an article in Vogue a few years back that if you're going to wear leggings you need to make sure your top covers your bum. So tunics, oversized jumpers, etc- great. Otherwise....trashy.

Trashy. But it makes me giggle every time I see underwear or a little more of the girl's behind. How can they leave the house like that??
I've only seen two people wear it nicely, and one of them said I could definitely pull it off, so I brought one. Tried it on like a 1000 times at home and thought no, I can't wear this out even with tunics or long tops, it just feels a little bare to me and it's still sitting in my drawer with the tags on. Worst money ever spent. :smash:

Yeah... I got a pair of leggings from my male cousin as a part of a joke. (Mostly because I hate them:)). I tried to wear them, I really did. I still do. But I hate how they cut my legs and I feel awkward and less feminine in them. I have nothing against opaque tights, though so I think I will use my lovely leggings in winter with nice boots :)

Well I do wear them. Mostly in the summer and I always cover my butt with a long tunic. And I wear them at home when I'm not going out because they are so comfy :luv:

I always shudder when I see fat girls with their bare butt. Aaand often you can see their cellulite through the leggins. That is even worse. At the gym there is this girl. She's not skinny, not fat and she is wearing a leggins in the classes. You can see through it and she also wears a thong. Everyone can see it. I am always thinking I should tell her… ?:hmm:

Some leggings are really thick and in that case, I think it's fine. Not fine in a fashion sense but fine in the "I went to the gym earlier and now I'm just running errands" kind of way. I think thick black leggings holds in fat better than nothing, so I guess I would rather see fat people in in those rather than shorts or dresses. As long as there is no bare tummy showing and the leggings are purely for comfort, it's fine.

That being said, I don't wear leggings anymore. For awhile I wore leggings as pants and that's how I got to my high weight. I didn't notice myself getting fatter and fatter because all of my clothes fit exactly how they did when I was smaller! /sigh

Once at work I saw an OBESE girl wearing leggings as pants, and they were so stretched that they weren't 100% opaque. I SAW EVERYTHING. It was pretty horrifying.
I actually have one pair of leggings I can/do wear as pants, but they're made of a thick material, so they just look like pants that don't have pockets.
Specifically these ones:
VersaceCU_1.jpg

I'm pretty careful with what I wear them with though, because I don't want to look like all the other trashy girls with legging-pants.

In my mind: you are trashy beyond trash is you wear thin leggings without something long enough to cover your ass.

Not even skinny people can pull off that look, but 99% of those who wear it anyway are about 20 pounds overweight (even above average standards) and... just. Nonono.

Something thicker, like jeggings, are a different story since they are basically tight jeans.

I vote for trashy.

Whenever I see people wearing leggins in public, it´s that sort of people you DON´T WANT TO SEE in leggins or anything skin tight - mostly mid-30 women with about 20 lbs too much.
As if anyone, even skinny girls, could pull the leggins look off :meh:

I have to admit when I was like 10 I wore them with denim skirts :)wtf:)
Whatever, I think I've already posted this somewhere but I really hate them if they are not really really "opaque"
The only leggings I would wear would be some printed leggings but I haven't really found a pair that doesn't look trashy or "hipsterish" :rolleyes: and only with long shirts/tunics

Whenever I'm at home just relaxing I'm either in leggings or sweats but I would NEVER wear leggings in public unless it was to hot yoga or the like. I actually have a friend who wears leggings quite frequently but she is very skinny and small and she always wears a huge tunic/dress-shirt/sweater over them and it's quite nice and makes her look even more fragile. Other than that I cringe whenever I see this trend.

Oh! I forgot to add--NEVER and I mean NEVER wear leggings that don't cover the length of your leg. Save the cropped spandex for working out. Just seeing people's calves exploding from their thighs out of nowhere...:wtf:

Oh! I forgot to add--NEVER and I mean NEVER wear leggings that don't cover the length of your leg. Save the cropped spandex for working out. Just seeing people's calves exploding from their thighs out of nowhere...:wtf:

Oh my god, agreed! I forgot about those 3/4 leggings. I think they are the bane of fashionkind.