Leggings as pants/trousers, 'classy' or 'trashy'

I think it looks super cute when a model pulls some leggings over her teeny tiny hips and can pull it off with just a t shirt

However it's not something I can EVER see myself doing, even when I'm super skinny, just too much on display, too much potential for :nervous: camel toe

Only on tiny hips just like you all said :meh:
I have to wear them on PE and it just looks so :superpuke: I find them very trashy in any case and they kind of make your leg look even worse :wtf: I always get that feeling.

Personally, I would never wear leggings as pants, even if I had perfect legs. While some girls can pull it off, the majority who wear them like that are super-trashy/fat/slutty/etc... it's kind of like a defining characteristic, a negative stereotype attached to girls who wear leggings as pants.

I was ar vet with my dog and I saw a girl in leggings with uggs and that long tight shirt and she was so fat. Dou could actually see cellulite through them!! Id never wear them .-. Horrible

Teenages in Australia insist on wearing leggings as pants and it is not pretty. It seems to be some sort of misguided trend, especially with the plus sized teens. So many of them have worn their beloved leggings so much that they are threadbare over the ass and you can see there skanky underwear through them :facepalm:. They also loved to wear them with disgusting dirty sand shoes. :superpuke:

Ok I feel better now.

There is a girl that works in the same law firm as me and she wears tights EVERYDAY as pants. She's been here for over a year and that's all she wears.
She's not even fat she's average, she could be wearing normal clothes but noo...
Here I'm wearing suits and dresses to work everyday and she's dressed for McDonalds
:superpuke:

I think it really depends on your bodyshape. Some really skinny girls may pull it off, but idk.. I still find it sort of tacky. I see girls everyday who are average + with big bums who wear really small tights (think Nicki Minaj..) and I'm just like..

picture.php

... :superpuke:

@BiracialGal I felt the very strong urge to finish that sentence for you. I know it's impolite and I apologize, but I had to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teenages in Australia insist on wearing leggings as pants and it is not pretty. It seems to be some sort of misguided trend, especially with the plus sized teens. So many of them have worn their beloved leggings so much that they are threadbare over the ass and you can see there skanky underwear through them :facepalm:. They also loved to wear them with disgusting dirty sand shoes. :superpuke:

Ok I feel better now.

Amen! While I definitely think that the right girl can pull them off, there are just too many variables for them to be acceptable as pants. I see far too many big girls wearing them with a cropped sweater, showing every dimple on their body and a very good view of the Hello Kitty-printed underwear they picked out that morning. If I ever wear them, it's with a long shirt that covers my butt.

... :superpuke:

@BiracialGal I felt the very strong urge to finish that sentence for you. I know it's impolite and I apologize, but I had to.

Haha, it's okay. I meant the picture being the end of the sentence, as it was sort of my reaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely trashy.

Although, as someone who lives in the midwest, I wear my leggings quite a bit in the winter under dresses/skirts. Opaque tights just don't keep my legs warm enough. Sometimes, I'll layer the leggings under my jeans for extra warmth, but that's usually only when I'm going to be outside in the cold all day long. Frankly, they're more utilitarian to me than fashionable.

This! Sometimes cold winter weather asks for unfashionable choices :( i do always make sure the leggings are completely black and 0% transparant though xD

You have to be absolutely tiny with no pudge to pull it off. Honestly, when being used in place of pants- they aren't very flattering on anybody.

Only if you're jogging outdoors or at or on your way to or from the gym or yoga studio. And "by on your way," I mean no detours to the grocery store, coffee shop, or your kid's school or daycare.

I might even say that you shouldn't even wear leggings with dresses or long t-shirts if you're past your early twenties. It seems to me like a very young high school or college-aged trend, like Ugg boots.

Yes. Depends on your age. Fine on high school girls and maybe early college, after that not really.

OMG. I see this all the time on campus. It is so not fetch. I don't completely hate it on thin girls, but SO many big girls wear leggings as pants. And they are usually shiny (because they are too small) and transparent. You can often see their cellulite through them too... I think they wear them because they have troubles fitting into normal trousers ;)

But seriously... LEGGINGS. ARE. NOT. PANTS.

"Thin privilege is being a girl who is not necessarily thin and wearing a tight dress that complies with dress code at school (with tights underneath!) and being held in the deans office until your mom can bring you jeans while any thin girl that wears the same dress doesn’t even get a slap on the wrist."
-thisisithinprivilege.tumblr.com

Aside from the site and the problems i have with it, this post is a wonderful example of how fat+tight clothes (leggings, tights, tight dresses) is a big NO xD even old people (school dean) agree!

Skinny people however -can- wear it.

Trashy. If it's really cold I'll wear leggings under pants, and I wear them around the house, but never outside - that would be like wearing sweatpants or pjs or something.

Plus, it's nearly impossible to eliminate underwear lines or avoid cameltoe. :wtf: