Kiernan Shipka

T

theannase

Kiernan Shipka from the Mad Men series...
She has been praised for her awareness in fashion; some go as far as to call her an ikon.
I tend to disagree, they say she dresses like her age, but i still think she dresses like a grown up lady. (especially with that hair of hers).

Anyways, what do you think of her in general?

Last edited by a moderator:
i didn't know who she was until i recently read about her on suri's burn book, and i think its made me bias to liking her a bit especially after seeing this photo of her next to that annoyin one from modern family
tumblr_m5mbfpYRrG1qmik36o1_500.jpg

I only know her because of suris burn book but I think she's adorable.

Kiernan-Shipka-Fan-Girl-Press-Line-Los-Angeles-Film-Festival-Red-Carpet-Fashion-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-TLO-5.jpg

I know she's young but her back is lovely and bony here. Her legs look like they could use some work, but she's such a lovely actress I can't be too harsh.

Reactions: 1 user
Can we stop making threads about CHILDREN? She is 15 years old, she doesn't need 'work on her legs' or need her body analyzed by us. This is gross.

Reactions: 2 users
couldnt' agree more---she's far too young to have a thread commenting on her weight or body

Reactions: 2 users
Can we stop making threads about CHILDREN? She is 15 years old, she doesn't need 'work on her legs' or need her body analyzed by us. This is gross.

Agree 100%. I think Kiernan is beautiful and incredibly polished for a 15 year-old, but commenting on/analysing her body is highly inappropriate.

Reactions: 1 user
Someone reported the thread so here I am. I'm not sure what to do here so let's have a conversation. When I saw the first couple pictures (which I deleted), I instantly said, whoa, too young for this game. Then I see someone later on say she is 15, and now I'm not so sure. Why? Well, I'll answer with a question: why is it OK for y'all to be criticizing the hell out of (or fawning over) 13 and 14 year olds in the model section but a 15 year old actress is off limits? I agree CHILDREN should be off limits but adolescents are a gray area. Also the vast majority of model "new faces" are 14-16 and I doubt almost anyone here thinks they should be off-limits. Then again, they are models not actresses and it's a different deal. I need to ask SG what she thinks.

I want to have a discussion, not shut it down. Maybe it has to just be "I know it when I see it" sort of rule, or "use your fucking head" rule, not a numerical or categorial rule. I. Don't. Know. :(

@Skinny Gurl

Reactions: 7 users
Someone reported the thread so here I am. I'm not sure what to do here so let's have a conversation. When I saw the first couple pictures (which I deleted), I instantly said, whoa, too young for this game. Then I see someone later on say she is 15, and now I'm not so sure. Why? Well, I'll answer with a question: why is it OK for y'all to be criticizing the hell out of (or fawning over) 13 and 14 year olds in the model section but a 15 year old actress is off limits? I agree CHILDREN should be off limits but adolescents are a gray area. Also the vast majority of model "new faces" are 14-16 and I doubt almost anyone here thinks they should be off-limits. Then again, they are models not actresses and it's a different deal. I need to ask SG what she thinks.

I want to have a discussion, not shut it down. Maybe it has to just be "I know it when I see it" sort of rule, or "use your fucking head" rule, not a numerical or categorial rule. I. Don't. Know. :(

Really good point. Immediately after posting that I thought the thread was inappropriate, I had the same thought re: commenting on young models. I wonder if the reason my gut reaction to a Kiernan thread was "she's a child, it's inappropriate" was because I've watched her grow up on Mad Men and, although she's 15, she's very much presented to the public as a young/child actress? Conversely, my perception of young models is simply that they're working adult models, regardless of whether they're 14 or 21. I guess it all comes down to the power of perception over reality.

Of course, none of those musings provide a definitive answer to your question! I agree that it's a grey area. Interested to hear what other members think.

@Anonymous Bullcock I never thought about the fact that so many models on here are around 16 years old, or were at some point in their photos (that we share). I do think that actresses are generally a bit of a different story though, especially when they were known to play kids on tv. Just my own opinion here, but then again, if i don't like it, i don't have to contribute

Then again, they are models not actresses and it's a different deal. .

I realised before I posted that a lot of models are children and we critic them here. I think the main difference is that models who are 15 are choosing to do a job which requires them to be skinny while having other particular physical features. Models that we post here are usually potraying an image that is much older ( you don't see publicity for teen clothing with Vlada skinny models). I think commenting on a persons physical appearance when their job is based solely on how they look is more acceptable and inevitable, however I think (and I am) much kinder in regards to the younger models because I don't feel good calling a 15 year old fat.

A 15 year old actress on the other hand is doing a completely different job, which has little to do with a specific look and more to do with the skill of the person. Judging that child based on factors that are nothing to do with their work is uncalled for and hurtful.

I think it is a little like saying a 15 year old ballerina is overweight. She can't do her job and her teachers/coaches will tell her if she is gaining, but you wouldn't tell a 15 year old that is working in a dress shop that she is gaining (unless you are a giant bitch) because it is completely uncalled for and has no relevance to what she is doing.

All that being said, I don't think that if you are underage and a ballerina or model then you are fair game. I think we should all try to be more respectful when it comes to children, and save the bitching for CarawheresthebuffetDelvigne.

@magrissima Don't be sensitive. I'm pretty sure no one was/is bitching about Kiernan.
The comments, with the exception of Olen's, were directed to her style, how adorable and cute she is, etc. Even then she did mention how young she is, and what a lovely actress she is.

Also, one has to take into account that the majority of these threads (young actresses) were created by girls very close in age or the same age as the actress.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

^ She wasn't exactly a model or an actress. She's only just now dabbling in the acting/modelling/whatever business.
Sure, they have distinct looks and give off different vibes, but why is it okay to have discussions about Lily (and others). I do feel weird commenting on this thread, only because she looks so young.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I realised before I posted that a lot of models are children and we critic them here.

I know English is not your first language but I do not agree with the word "children" for teens. "Minor" maybe but we're not talking about legal stuff. In my mind a "child" is much younger, like undeveloped. And in a few dictionaries I just looked in, it's the same, "before puberty" and things like that. I see you're in Italy where if I remember right they are "good to go" at 13 or 14, so I guess "children" are screwing over there? :eek:

A 15 year old actress on the other hand is doing a completely different job, which has little to do with a specific look and more to do with the skill of the person.

No, wrong. If you think looks aren't super important for a young actress to succeed you are living in a dream world. Yes skill is important but looks are extremely important. It's not as different from modeling as some ppl think, yes looks are less important for actresses than models, but skill is important in modeling too. Oh and who are you again? You have three posts all year before this one (and like five all last year) so your opinion is kinda :blahblah:.

Back to the subject, AB was right that the 2012 pictures of Kiernan she was def too young for us to be critiquing. But I looked at some recent pictures of her and I say fair game. I just think with actresses it's a case by case thing. If you look at someone and they aren't even developed yet then it's obviously not right. Just use your brain!!

With models my rule is simple. If they are signed to an agency, they are fair game, case closed. You sign with a modeling agency knowing full well what it entails, and managing your body is a big big part of it.

If everyone wants to bitch and complain about how the world is, and cry about how you don't think actresses should have to look good, then that's superduper, but take it somewhere else. I've heard it all. Maybe join a dramatic society and recruit ugly, talented people to your production. Good luck with that!

Same with the fashion world. Fashion agencies sign girls very young, and for good reasons. If you don't think they should, go start a petition on Tumblr or whine on TFS.

Both industries are not perfect but they're way more good than bad. If you want to bitch about them and the reality then do it somewhere else. If you want to discuss celebrity and model bodies and looks then that's a big part of what we do here. If you see a thread and you think she is too young, PM one of us or, better yet, maybe have the grace and class of @espressoenthusiast and do like she said "if i don't like it, i don't have to contribute." :highfive:

Reactions: 7 users
Sorry for bumping an old thread - but Kiernan is 18 now, so...

She’s really slimmed down as she’s gotten older and I think she’s looking quite good. She’s like a skinny version of Emma Watson!

Thoughts?

D05EA145-F166-4BB6-8DDB-5CDE7F7D29F8.jpeg

265C7B7B-F46C-46D9-B8B5-F259B5453B82.jpeg
A8869D7F-0B84-459D-91A3-776E82BC4633.jpeg
DB4556C9-E603-4D04-8BE4-CA6E7765F1E0.jpeg
95855D37-7A8D-48EE-9272-2F00610704FE.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

She’s really slimmed down as she’s gotten older and I think she’s looking quite good. She’s like a skinny version of Emma Watson!

Thoughts?

View attachment 25948
View attachment 25949 View attachment 25950 View attachment 25951 View attachment 25952
She's honestly a bby queen and I love her, I'm really looking forward to her doing the Sabrina the Teenage Witch reboot! I think it'll be so good and she really suits the style.

Also, her instagram is amazing, she's a really well-adjusted, talented young woman and she appears to have the best relationship with food. She definitely goes for really healthy, high-quality dishes rather than the trash that you assume younger people eat because of their 'pre-20s' metabolism. It's just so good to see someone who's been working for so long already be so healthy, happy, and still so full of potential!

Reactions: 3 users

Thoughts?

View attachment 25948
View attachment 25949 View attachment 25950 View attachment 25951 View attachment 25952
A+++ for the update. I love it when established members bring shit forth from the depths of the SG forums. I remember seeing this thread way back when I was still waiting for membership approval!

That being said, she looks absolutely fantastic. So much better than a few years ago, which is kind of surprising for developing metabolisms. I think it's great that she has such a healthy relationship with food (or seems to, at least).

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users