Karmen Pedaru

A girl from Kehra who has been raised by her grandmother since the age of five is separated from the top spot of the fashion world only by six girls.
Curly haired and big, a bit ufo-ish eyed Karmen was a restless child. Enthusiastically, she ran around the small and safe Kehra but the most brisk actions took place at her granny's doll corner. She could spend hours there. Karmen changed the clothes of the dolls, with the help of her grandma they always sewed the new clothes. It was interesting to see how changing the clothes almost gave you a whole new doll.
Later, the dolls were replaced with the animals - Karmen put the clothes on to all their pet cats and dogs, photographed them and put the photos to the albums.
Just the same happens to herself right now.
When Karmen was five, her mother died and Karmen and her doll collection moved to her grandmother's place. Granny gave Karmen a doll stroller and still in the elementary school, Karmen used to walk around with her doll stroller.
That's how Karmen's granny, an Estonian and literature teacher of Kehra school who has been in this position for 50 years, remembers Karmen's childhood.
In school, teacher Pedaru is known as a big fan of theater who always took kids to the theater - as for now, Mrs. Pedaru has seen the ballet "Swan lake" for 25 times.
Grandmother used to take her grandchild Karmen with her to the theater - until one day they happened to be in the same theater with Estonian model agent Margit Jõgger. During the break, Jõgger came to Karmen and asked if she would be interested in modeling.
Karmen said she was. And even though her granny felt a guilt at the beginning because Karmen got into the business and was sad as Karmen only finished the 10th grade in school, she now doesn't regret a thing. We can think that maybe Karmen's grandmother's big passion for theater was a push that helped Karmen to become a face of Michael Kors and Gucci, that her face helps to sell Hugo Boss's products and Jimmy Choos perfumes. And now she's also the face of Mango.
And that her 5 feet 11 grandchild is a number seven model in the world. The most desired Estonian.
Weddings in Rome
Last year, in December 14th, Elo-Mai Pedaru and Karmen's father, Teet, stand together in a modest wedding ceremony of Karmen and her Italian boyfriend Riccardo Ruini, in Rome. After the registration, when grandmother went to Karmen's home, it was full of tulips, roses and orchids - all sent by Karmen's employers. Grandmother felt as if she was in a luxorious flower store.
Grandmother believes that Karmen's success is accomplished by a tremendous willpower. As before meeting Jõgger, Karmen couldn't care less about lipstick. She was a dedicated sports chick.
In the 5th grade Karmen got excited by sports and started soccer ball, handball and basket ball trainings. Karmen was a goalkeeper of Kehra's football club Piraaja and was chosen to an U19 national team.
"Karmen's life went between the trainings. In the weekends she went to competitions. She has long legs and she did good in running" her granny says. Karmen trained in a county level running competitions and got 30-40 medals, she took all of them to New York with her.
Grandmother describes how Karmen gave everything in 100 or 400m run - she had to get the medal! She whether died trying but she had to get the prize.
Then came rollerskating and usual skating, but her feet keep growing and there was always a need for new shoes. Karmen used to ride a bike and during the summers she kept herself fit with swimming. Her granny says that Karmen is a good swimmer. During the summer and breaks from competitions she swimed all the time, there are three swimming spots near their house.
And when a sports girl like Karmen made it to the runways, she stood out among the other skinny girls with her very muscular body. Karmen was reprimanded because of her "too muscular arms". When you look at the photos of Michael Kors' latest campaign you can notice Karmen's "too fit arms".
Karmen confesses to Ekspress that she doesn't too sports anymore, she only goes running from time to time. She has a "lucky body" because she doesn't have problems with weight and she stays slim without starving. She eats lots of fruit, vegetables and fish, very little meat and she loves Japanese and Indian cuisines. Karmen says that after a party she can be a bit swollen, which she says is quite normal.
Eesti Ekspress

Interview with Karmen:
Are models too thin?
K: Yes, models are thin. I don't think people want to see advertising campaigns with fat women. People say how skinny we are, yet, at the same time they are trying to be like us, models. I want to be thin. I couldn't even think about being bigger.

Which is more important - a pretty face or a good body?
K: It depends on a model. If you are a lingerie model you have to have a beautiful face and body. For a HF model it is not that important, but you have to be interesting! There are so many models who bodies are like whatever and also their faces, but they are on top.

What is you most beautiful body-part?
K: My favorite body-parts are my legs. I just like my legs.

Who are the beauty ideals?
K: I don't really know. Jane Birkin for sure, when she was young, and Audrey Hepburn. Now Angelina Jolie, maybe.

Who is a beautiful woman?
Individualities are what make woman beautiful. For example, Lara Stone may have a big gap between her teeth but for me she's beautiful. And Kate Moss who has short legs and now a perfect look but she's still pretty. I don't like ordinary women. As a model I admire Kate, Christy, Naomi etc. You admire people who have reached such level.

Karmen doesn't like comparing. Our Estonian girl has been compared to Kate Moss but she says she no ones new! She's Karmen. She's not an icon yet but says she hopes she becomes one.
Karmen has fallen down on a runway few times. It sucks the most when you break a heel. She says she has fallen but it was rather funny. Of course it would suck to fall in a lingerie show.
Karmen says she doesn't mind see through clothes because her job is to sell clothes and make people believe these are the clothes they have to buy. It's not her to decide what make up she wears or how her hair is done. If she has to wear see-through clothes she will do it.
Karmen says she chooses very carefully the ad campaigns because it is not good when you front every campaign, it becomes boring.
Out from work she tries to be anonymous - she doesn't have Twitter nor Facebook. Karmen does not want people to outside the industry to know anything about her. For her, the worst part is pushy fans who came to the airports early in the mornings and want to take photos.
Karmen who lost her mother in her childhood, has many fears, the biggest one is losing someone close. Last year she has been together with Riccardo, whom she met at a shooting of Gucci campaign. Their love grew out from friendship and Karmen Pedaru became Karmen Pedaru Ruini. Her name is not changed in her passport yet, but not for long.
"the proposal came from our first dinner, hehee," Says Karmen, "but officially in Ibiza in last August". The "Yes" word came easily. She knew he was the right. They had worked together for many times before they got together. Karmen's husband is an owner of an advertising company REM and a creative director of many brands like Valentino, Bulgari, Gucci, Cerruti etc.
Karmen travels about four times a week and works 14 hours a day. Sometimes more. How does she find time for love in such a busy schedule? "if I couldn't find the time, I would do something to get this time" she says.

Do you imagine yourself as a mother?
K: Yes, I have thought of children. But I still have some more years for that. As for now, I enjoy us being just together with my husband.

Being in a big world for long time, Karmen confesses that she misses herring with sour cream and boiled potatoes. She last visited Estonia in May but her homes are in Rome and New York.
Sometimes Karmen is texting with her football buddies from Kehra to as how they are doing. She always has two phones and she always answers the calls from agency, family and husband.
Karmen is a citizen of Estonia but for a question if she would ever come back to live in Estonia she answers - "You will never know".
Eesti Ekspress

iVwR1Oal.gif

ohSKEskl.gif

D7yGdSul.gif

WkE5Ewfl.gif

h8IZ5zil.png

Are models too thin?
K: Yes, models are thin. I don't think people want to see advertising campaigns with fat women. People say how skinny we are, yet, at the same time they are trying to be like us, models. I want to be thin. I couldn't even think about being bigger.

:bow: for having the balls to say what everyone is thinking.

It's like she missed the meeting where everyone agreed you're supposed to lie about this stuff...:lol:

:lol:

Damn, I wish more models missed those meetings. Specifically, those with the topics ''don't reveal diet plan'' and ''don't talk about drugs in the industry'', I'd give a toe to find out more about that stuff.

Dsquared² F/W 2013
karmen2.jpg

abwyosNf.jpg

I don't know if it is just the dress or what but she looks terrible. :disgusted:

^Her face looks terrible because of how hard she's sucking in her cheeks, and her upper body looks terrible because it is terrible. IDK if her chest is muscular or her boobs are saggy.

aneZ9ru.jpg

Dsquared² F/W 2013
karmen2.jpg

abwyosNf.jpg

I don't know if it is just the dress or what but she looks terrible. :disgusted:

WHAT THE FUCK ! This girl, is so my girl crush, i love her masculine beauty and in my dreams I make out with her !

But there you go those dreams are over. She looks old and her arms are too big and her breast is like licking the floor !

Please my love, come back ! You are my one and only saphic dream :oops: !

Flair Cover and Editorial March 2013 by Katja Rahlwes [Continued]
142743-800w.jpg

142744-800w.jpg

142746-800w.jpg

142747-800w.jpg

142748-800w.jpg

142739-800w.jpg

Pop Magazine Cover S/S 2013 by David Armstrong
150585-800w.jpg

For as muscular as she can look she can also look incredibly fragile and slender in certain clothing especially skinny jeans.

@Nanoushkaïa It designates a cover photo that has been previously used on another/other magazine(s). For example you will see the same cover of said celeb with the original story on Elle US then a few weeks/months later Elle France, Elle Romania, Glamour etc etc etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user