Karl Lagerfeld has passed away at 85

abominable_princess

Rising Star
Aug 10, 2012
(Wasn’t sure if I could make a thread on this but he doesn’t have his own thread according to the search bar)

Business Insider reports:
“The iconic fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld is dead, French news site Pure People reported on Tuesday.

The German-born couturier and photographer reportedly died in hospital in Paris on Tuesday after being urgently admitted on Monday night. He was 85.

He was best known as creative director of Chanel.

The cause of his death is not known. His health came under speculation recently after he missed two Chanel fashion shows in Paris last month.

Fashion news site WWD also confirmed the news on Tuesday, citing unnamed sources close to Lagerfeld.”

Source: https://www.businessinsider.nl/karl-lagerfeld-dead-french-media-report-2019-2/
French article:
http://www.purepeople.com/article/karl-lagerfeld-est-mort-a-l-age-de-85-ans_a325121/1

• Sad
  • Love
Reactions: 19 users
I am shook! He was one of those immortal figures, as Queen Elizabeth. They just don’t die like that. And just before Paris fashion week... crazy

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users
Said some shit I disagree with and designed some things I’d rather block from my memory BUT no one can replace his impact on fashion. He genuinely changed the industry and was, before anything else, a genius.

My favourite quotes include:
“Sweatpants are a sign of defeat”
“I am physically allergic to flip flops”
“I am very much down to earth. Just not this earth”
“Yes some people say to me, ‘you’re too skinny,’ but never a skinny person says that to me, only those that could do to lose a few pounds.”
“Fashion is the healthiest motivation for losing weight”
“My thing is to work more than others to show them how useless they are”
“I lost 200lbs to wear suits by Hedi Slimane”
“I am rather pro-prostitution. I admire people who do it. It can’t be much fun. Thank goodness for it. People need relief or they become murderers.” :lol:

RIP KARL

• Love
  • Agree
Reactions: 29 users
A true icon, and the king of thinspo quotes:

quote-these-are-fat-mummies-sitting-with-their-bags-of-crisps-in-front-of-the-television-saying-karl-lagerfeld-49-96-74.jpg

I-only-like-what-im-allowed-to-like1.png

307d8c6929e131b01c2e61a00198f8c7.jpg

And my personal favorite:

10KL4-620x414.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
A few more articles with stories about his life, photos, and quotes.
www.nytimes.com/2019/02/19/obituaries/karl-lagerfeld-dead.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

www.gofugyourself.com/karl-lagerfeld-has-died-02-2019

More quotes here: www.vogue.co.uk/gallery/karl-lagerfeld-famous-quotes

Including...

2006 - On staying healthy:
"Vanity is the healthiest thing in life."

2007 - On his feelings prior to a fashion show:
"I have no human feelings."

2007 - On furnishing a home:
"The most important piece in the house is the garbage can."

2014 - On selfies:
"They are this horrible thing where you are distorted. The chin is too big, the head is too small. No, this is electronic masturbation."

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Marine’s

Lily’s

Alton’s

Vlada’s

Claudia’s

There are so many more but these are the ones on my immediate ig feed. And yes, now I’m crying :cry:

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I found a quote on his work ethic from the NYTimes obit particularly interesting:

"Please don't say I work hard. Nobody is forced to do this job, and if they don't like it they should do another one. People buy dresses to be happy, not to hear about somebody who suffered over a piece of taffeta."

What a great and inspiring mindset to have.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Great loss for the fashion world. I was left without words when I found out he passed away, in the way that I am still feeling sorry for the years that could have been filled with his genius. After all only his work will be immortal...He was indeed an unique figure, a symbol, no matter what others say, someone whose face will always be associated with class and elegance. I knew he had a strong personality, and I liked remembering some of his quotes written in this thread. Apart from the accident that determined him to wear sunglasses, I absolutely enjoyed to hear the part where he said that he also likes them because he can afford to take a nap when someone boring is speaking. Rumor or not, it's so Karl.