Kaia Gerber

I really have to disagree with what you said about the career feeling “forced and unnatural” for her. Did you see the backstage pics of her posted above? It takes a talented model to make backstage look like an editorial.
I agree, those are some of the most impressive pics of her, but I also think the lighting and photography are fortunate. There are candid pics where she looks rough and not like a model at all. I still think she’s getting undue attention as a ‘supermodel’ and career opportunities she doesn’t necessarily deserve.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I think she looks more youthful in the beauty pic above because it’s probably been retouched.
img%5D
img%5D

These are both recent pictures...
This is going to sound really harsh, but to me she has no appeal as a model with such a lined face (at 17!), and her body doesn’t cut it without a good face (yes, maybe for runway, but not for all the huge campaigns). She’s also only 5’9”. There are other young, skinny models who are beautiful with well-proportioned bodies and faces... Kaia is everywhere right now but I’d rather see them getting the work. And the Karl collection was so unimpressive: she doesn’t seem to have any personal style and lets her stylist confect this tacky “edgy” style that just consists of i.am.gia clothes.
She’s just an average teenage girl. I really believe she should be in school - I wish more celebrity children would take that path. This career feels forced and unnatural and it’s not of any benefit to either her or the fashion industry.
sorry but i couldn’t disagree more. her personal style is irrelevant to her presence as a model and shouldn’t determine whether she deserves a place in the industry imo. i personally find her beautiful, and yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder or whatever but i think we can all agree that she’s got a good bone structure and unique, attractive features which are standard to any good model on the runway. is her face the most captivating i’ve ever seen? no, but does it really need to be? i also disagree about her body. if she is 5’9 (recent photos seemingly suggest she’s grown) then she does an incredible job at appearing 6’ easily. don’t even get me started on her legs. her body is fucking impeccable, easily one of the skinniest in every show she takes on. when you take into consideration her upbringing, age and endless list of connections, the effort and determination she puts into upholding an amazing body and strong presence is astounding. what i’m trying to say is that, whilst other models may outshine in her in certain aspects, invalidating her beauty, talent and commitment because she’s not number one in everything is wrong. she’s been working for barely a year and has plenty of time to prove herself.

• Agree
Reactions: 14 users
her body is fucking impeccable
I have really high standards but I think she needs to tone up and has unattractive proportions. Sorry, I know I’m being harsh, and yes, she should be commended for being skinny.

• Disagree
  • WTF
Reactions: 17 users
There are other young, skinny models who are beautiful with well-proportioned bodies and faces... Kaia is everywhere right now but I’d rather see them getting the work.
Without Kaia would it be some completely obscure, high fashion, edgy, gorgeous new face getting the work or would it be Kendall/Gigi/some other bloated girl with a large enough fan base? Designers seem to currently feel like they need celebrity to market their shows and Kaia works well as a model but also simultaneously has enough of an "it girl" vibe to gather a "celebrity" following. Give me Kaia over the rest any day.

• Agree
Reactions: 11 users
Without Kaia would it be some completely obscure, high fashion, edgy, gorgeous new face getting the work or would it be Kendall/Gigi/some other bloated girl with a large enough fan base? Designers seem to currently feel like they need celebrity to market their shows and Kaia works well as a model but also simultaneously has enough of an "it girl" vibe to gather a "celebrity" following. Give me Kaia over the rest any day.
agree! kaia perfectly bridges between the high fashion, hard working (mega skinny) aesthetic that industry fans appreciate and the los angeles nepo daughter it girl one we can’t escape. her natural versatility is part of the reason she’s so successful- no one (aside from the fatties who wanna see ashley graham do saint laurent) can complain about her.

and also, if @angelalamode you find endless pin legs and a virtually 2d waist unattractive, maybe skinny gossip isn’t the forum for you - may i suggest here?

• Funny
Reactions: 2 users
and also, if @angelalamode you find endless pin legs and a virtually 2d waist unattractive, maybe skinny gossip isn’t the forum for you - may i suggest here?

I’m not agreeing with @angelalamode on kaia but I think she means her waist/ hip ratio is practically 1:1 and any weight gain would be disastrous on kaias frame/ leg shape. However, Kaia is consistent and paper thin so I can’t fault her for what’s out of control.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users
If you have only small knwledge of the fashion industry you have to admire her commitment, especially given her background and the age of nepotism. But when I saw the latest pictures I thought that Gemma could be right... Kaia looks very tired, makes me almost sad for such a beautiful young girl.

I’m sorry (& very aware) that I’ve had such an annoying presence on this thread. I only made my original cranky post because I woke up at 4am, the morning I sat the 2 biggest exams of my life so far, and my pedantic tendencies were coming out. I will probably stay away after this.

I wasn’t planning to reply at all until I was absolutely wounded by this barb: (kidding)
I would never have joined this site if I didn’t think models should look like this:
img%5D

It’s why I believe modelling should be meritocratic and I don’t like when one person’s career is based upon their mother being Cindy Crawford.
I also love how the beauty of a model like Anna is partly due to, yet eclipses the fact that she is skinny (look to her admirable poise, skin, hair, muscle tone, face and bone structure), and I don’t like how Kaia’s skinniness is the only beautiful/interesting thing about her. I joined these forums because of their holistic nature (s/o Skinny Finishing School), and find simply abstaining from food to be the simplest part compared to all the rest.

her personal style is irrelevant to her presence as a model and shouldn’t determine whether she deserves a place in the industry imo.
It is relevant if she’s going to be “designing” a collection with Karl Lagerfeld that is, frankly, an eyesore. She is papped almost daily and girls copy her outfits. She was doing talk shows during her first season. She wants to be more than a model: a celebrity. It is insane to me because there is absolutely nothing captivating about her face or personality. And I wouldn’t have been so critical were it not for the fact that she’s been elevated to this “super” status.

she’s been working for barely a year and has plenty of time to prove herself.
This argument keeps coming up. I find it galling because other models aren’t afforded training wheels. She only has time to prove herself because she has parents who can pay her way to the top whether she succeeds or not, just like the Hadids (may be extra mad about this because Anwar was apparently paid $200k to walk a show in my hometown a couple of weeks ago :meh:).

I guess the problem is that I don’t want to make the tradeoff. I’m still clinging to the good old days of the 2000s HF era. As a sidenote, I have been hearing that designers are beginning to gravitate away from the models-with-followers trend because it generally hasn’t affected sales (have a wild theory that Kendall’s hiatus wasn’t entirely of her own choosing :flower:).

Regarding the “unattractive proportions”, this applies just as much to her face. I’ll just quote some earlier comments from this thread as a reminder:
her proportions don't appeal to me while her face needs more depth which she could get with age.
I don’t think this has changed with age or weight loss. Her arms look disproportionate, weak and soft at every weight and her waist is barely discernible from the front.

That's very true, her ribs look like they practically sit on her hip bones. Anatomically she looks unreal at certain angles:
Ru8op9Z.jpg

img%5D

I don’t think she looks happy, healthy or inspirational.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 20 users
Tbh I agree with almost everything @angelalamode wrote...

I’m sorry (& very aware) that I’ve had such an annoying presence on this thread. I only made my original cranky post because I woke up at 4am, the morning I sat the 2 biggest exams of my life so far, and my pedantic tendencies were coming out. I will probably stay away after this.

I realize a lot of members might disagree like we saw in the last page but it was a bit of a relief for me to read about your opinion on Kaia especially because usually I'm pretty bad at expressing myself in english so I couldn't make a post about it myself... and I don't think you should stay away from the forums just because you have a different opinion about a model and decided to express it.

• Love
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users
@angelalamode may have put it in the harshest terms possible,and I disagree with the whole "needing to tone up" and bad proportions bit (girl has no visible waist, but that's partly because she has no hips to contrast her tiny waist with) Yet, I have to admit, seeing a 17 year old model with nasolabial folds on her face, big bags under her eyes isn't great. Also, let's bear in mind that she has so much more available to her than her peers, including first class flights with a better chance of sleeping, nice hotel rooms, no model apartments, access to good doctors/skincare products/healthy food etc, than virtually every other model her age. The HF lifestyle is harsh, and fashion month beats us down, but hers is obviously much more comfortable than so many before her, who looked far more energetic and far less...idk...unwell?. While of course, Kaia has killer legs, is very skinny (skinnier than a lot of successful models are), and has shown versatility in her work, her look itself is harsh, almost forced looking. I find a face that rough at her age nothing but confusing. Under any other circumstances, I find it hard to believe someone like her would be booking major beauty jobs, campaigns, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: 14 users

what does everyone think? i quite like it

I don't really think she has the face to pull off a dramatic makeup look. Her features and expression aren't striking enough, so she just looks like a kid in her mom's makeup. Maybe if she arched her brows a bit more/went for the "fierce" look it could have been salvaged, or maybe just her overall look is wrong for it. Idk. Not terrible though.

Under any other circumstances, I find it hard to believe someone like her would be booking major beauty jobs, campaigns, etc.
:nod:

what does everyone think? i quite like it

I like her and I like the color scheme, shot, and editing, but the "half-made-up-half-bare" makeup look always reminds me of those social statement photos where some girl is looking intensely into the camera, crushed and hurt by societal norms. They're intended to boost your self esteem or whatever because "nobody's perfect." I have less of an actual problem with the photo and more of a bad association with these contrived attempts to empower women.

Um6QSIT.jpg

bXLDmtb.jpg

But this is just me nitpicking, the makeup wasn't her fault, it's likely a personal association, and I think she looks beautiful!

• Agree
I think she does have the face for a dramatic look. More of the darker smoky-eye and natural shades rather than this multicolor color circus though. Like here with Cindy. (And ah, the resemblance!)

3D710F95-C08A-4430-947C-A08A377940AE.jpeg

I wish they had done the full face for the cover. But then again, if I forget the fact that she is Kaia and I’m a fangirl and just want her to always look her best, this cover is actually really nice and she does her job as a model. She seems to be wearing some awesome pieces too, can’t wait see the full shoot!

Maybe if she arched her brows a bit more/went for the "fierce" look it could have been salvaged, or maybe just her overall look is wrong for it. Idk. Not terrible though.

Yesss, I've been thinking the same! The ''problem'' to me in her face being kind of basic to me is probably her brows. Don't get me wrong, I love the full wild look but if she had more arched brows compared to these droopy thick ones to me her face would look perhaps a bit more captivating.
Her body is still banging though :inluv:
kaia-gerber-new-york-fashion-week-235373-1505262988145-image.700x0c.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Baby intensity!

Also the Karl x Kaia collab got a little write up in the times:
Kaia Gerber and Karl Lagerfeld mix California and European styles for their new collection
By KAVITA DASWANI SEP 13, 2018
Traffic snarled outside the Revolve Social Club on Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles on a Thursday night late last month as a phalanx of paparazzi packed the curb and a bodyguard shielded the entrance to the online retailer’s showroom.

Inside, the scene unfolded with all the conventional L.A. fashion scene tropes: a DJ spun tunes on the rooftop, a bartender served craft cocktails, caterers proffered minuscule canapés and hordes of influencers lined the walls while pouting, posing and content-capturing their way through the evening.

However, in a quiet enclave on Revolve’s second floor, model Kaia Gerber, daughter of Cindy Crawford and Rande Gerber, sat, demure and poised, politely answering questions about her first fashion venture, which probably won’t be her last.

“Hi, I’m Kaia,” the willowy, 5-foot-9, now-17-year-old girl said, extending her hand. (Her likeness to her supermodel mother was more striking in person.) Next to her was a stuffed pink and fluffyplush cat.

“That’s my spirit animal,” she said with a smile.

Gerber had spent a couple of hours that day answering questions about Karl Lagerfeld X Kaia, a new fashion collaboration that was launched exclusively at Revolve in late August. Available at karl.com and revolve.com, the collection consists of 53 pieces — among them are a faux fur coat, a metallic leather skirt, a belt bag, a tuxedo jacket, a jersey catsuit and a leather biker jacket — which, Gerber said, are a synthesis of her California style and Lagerfeld’s consummately European one.

Prices for items in the collection, which also include footwear, sunglasses and jewelry, start at $35 for a phone case and top out at $1,045 for the biker jacket.

The fashion supremo and the ingenue model met for the first time last September during a fitting for Fendi, for which Lagerfeld has long been the creative director. (The German-born designer has the same position at French brand Chanel along with overseeing his self-named brand.) At the time, Gerber was on the verge of her breakout on the international catwalk scene — with her lithe, youthful glamazon silhouette considered a modern and fresh addition to the runways as well as a throwback to those fashion followers who remember her mother’s sway on the catwalks decades ago.

“Karl reached out to me [about working on a collection together], but I pushed it to the back of my head,” she said. “I was like, ‘There’s no way this would actually happen. It’s so sweet they’re thinking of me. But there’s just no way.’”

Lagerfeld and his team persevered. They “had a meeting,” said Gerber, “and I realized how serious they were. We continued, and it kept getting more and more real. And now to see it all in front of me is amazing.”

Some of the pieces from the collection were suspended on a rack near Gerber, while others were set up downstairs on the main floor at Revolve, where guests held up slick, shiny leggings or duplicates of Gerber’s own evening ensemble — a belly-baring cropped jacket and button-front mini skirt.

“We wanted to combine my aesthetic with Karl’s aesthetic,” Gerber said. “I grew up in California and have a very laid back, tomboy style. Karl is Parisian chic. Yet, both of us had the same idea, which was to approach clothes in an interesting way. So, it was like a joining of our two worlds.”

The process, she said, was a rich, educational one. “As a model, you get there [to a fashion show], and the clothes are done. And you just have to put them on,” she said. “But to see what goes into making these clothes, you have a new appreciation for what designers go through.”

The model described the offering as having something for everyone, although, the collection appears to be directed toward the wealthy and young “it girl” demographic.

That fact aside, Gerber and Lagerfeld appear to have a big hit on their hands, given the gushing buzz about the collection — and, of course, the selfies being taken — throughout the showroom. “I couldn’t have dreamed of a better outcome,” Gerber said. “I’m just taking this step by step. I’m in awe that this is happening.”

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
saw this on DM, what do you guys think- writing error or what? IMG has Kaia listed now as 5'9.5 and other reports as 5'10, but here 5'7 seems a bit of a stretch because if so she definitely photographs much taller!
Untitled.jpg

saw this on DM, what do you guys think- writing error or what? IMG has Kaia listed now as 5'9.5 and other reports as 5'10, but here 5'7 seems a bit of a stretch because if so she definitely photographs much taller!
View attachment 27593
I would say that she's about the same height as Vittoria, who is listed as 5'9.5 on The Society's website. But since agencies tend to +/- some height, then maybe 5'9?

• Agree
View attachment 27593
DailyMail tends to not be an accurate source on most things, so I wouldn’t believe it.

Exhibit A:
C1156EBB-E227-4F20-98F1-F8FE38C2EB88.png

Exhibit B:
17E14250-4D99-4D31-8A37-414BFE114DAB.png

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users