Junior sizes

classichic

Super Star
Jan 27, 2012
Somewhere
Are junior clothing different sizes to adult clothing sizes? Or are they just clothing aimed for young women but run same sizes as adult clothing?

The reason I ask because I first thought the latter but I just read online the sizes are different. I'm confused as we don't get junior clothing here in the UK. So if the sizes are different, which are good junior brands for skinnies? And what are sizing equivalent or is there a size chart comparison?

Is juniors the same as kids? If so, they do stock them in the UK - I know H&M have them, and last time I was in New Look - which tbf, was at least 18 mths ago - they still had a junior line too. Usually they are sized according to age. I buy quite a lot of basic vest tops from H&M kids and because I'm pretty narrow on top (I wear my weight more on bottom) I can get anything from age 8 - 10 in tops. I also have a pair of pale pink denim shorts from them and got those in age 11.

I think in the US juniors are sized according to age, or at least the one pair of pyjama shorts I got from K-Mart (shhh :oops:) in Florida were sized that way.

In terms of the difference in size between adult and kids/junior - I think the bigger kids sizes are basically just UK 8 - 10. I am pretty sure I could wear age 14 tops even at a BMI of 19, and so figure they must be a UK 8 and that age 16 is prob a UK 10. It's worth considering buying juniors for staples like vests, plain tees, denim shorts etc. because they're cheaper as certain taxes are taken off. Only drawback is it's hard to avoid all the glitter and butterflies and loveheart appliques they splat on it all :meh:

Ignore all this if I am totally barking up the wrong tree and US juniors is something else entirely!

Is juniors the same as kids? If so, they do stock them in the UK - I know H&M have them, and last time I was in New Look - which tbf, was at least 18 mths ago - they still had a junior line too. Usually they are sized according to age. I buy quite a lot of basic vest tops from H&M kids and because I'm pretty narrow on top (I wear my weight more on bottom) I can get anything from age 8 - 10 in tops. I also have a pair of pale pink denim shorts from them and got those in age 11.

I think in the US juniors are sized according to age, or at least the one pair of pyjama shorts I got from K-Mart (shhh :oops:) in Florida were sized that way.

In terms of the difference in size between adult and kids/junior - I think the bigger kids sizes are basically just UK 8 - 10. I am pretty sure I could wear age 14 tops even at a BMI of 19, and so figure they must be a UK 8 and that age 16 is prob a UK 10. It's worth considering buying juniors for staples like vests, plain tees, denim shorts etc. because they're cheaper as certain taxes are taken off. Only drawback is it's hard to avoid all the glitter and butterflies and loveheart appliques they splat on it all :meh:

Ignore all this if I am totally barking up the wrong tree and US juniors is something else entirely!

no hun, in the US they have adult, junior and kids. And some shops are aimed for juniors? like Hollister, Forever 21 I think? But here Hollister and Forever 21 is considered adult clothing?
I think so a little confusing whether it's aimed at young adults or whether they have diff sizes. From what I've seen they have kids into 2 or three sections, baby, toddlers and big kids like 7-16. As far as kids size in US always avoid kids size 12 up for me. Size 14 and 16 are often bigger than size 0 from what I've seen.

no hun, in the US they have adult, junior and kids. And some shops are aimed for juniors? like Hollister, Forever 21 I think? But here Hollister and Forever 21 is considered adult clothing?
I think so a little confusing whether it's aimed at young adults or whether they have diff sizes. From what I've seen they have kids into 2 or three sections, baby, toddlers and big kids like 7-16. As far as kids size in US always avoid kids size 12 up for me. Size 14 and 16 are often bigger than size 0 from what I've seen.

ah okay! You're right that in the US the kid's sizes seem bigger than in the UK. I'd say their age 14-16 is prob like a US 4 or even 6 :confused:

As people have said, we don't exactly have juniors in the UK, but Zara Kids in the older ranges (10-14 I think) do tend to fit quite well, especially for tops and jumpers, and don't look too juvenile. I have some really nice summer dresses from the kids section - and of course children's clothing doesn't have VAT so it's even cheaper!

I think I confused some people. :oops: I meant does junior sizes differ from regular adult sizes in the US? or whether it's just clothing aimed at juniors with adult sizing?
sorry, i know the UK doesn't do junior sizes.

A lot of shops in the US have sections: womens, kids, juniors in their department stores like
Macys
Nordstrom
Bloomingdales

I think I confused some people. :oops: I meant does junior sizes differ from regular adult sizes in the US? or whether it's just clothing aimed at juniors with adult sizing?
sorry, i know the UK doesn't do junior sizes.

A lot of shops in the US have sections: womens, kids, juniors in their department stores like
Macys
Nordstrom
Bloomingdales

From what I've noticed, junior sizing is very different. It seems to be aimed at more petite folk. I didnt know this initially and panicked when I was checking out the regular sizing and everything was either to big or too long for me. My husband stepped in to steer me towards the petite/junior section. So to the best of my knowledge petite sizing is what I would think is more comparable to international sizes...that is a 2 is really a 2 or etc. Its the regular sizing here which I think is insane. To note, kids/ teens in the US also head for the junior section here.

Junior sizing is different. I'm an XS in juniors, but I'd need like a XXS or XXXS in women's clothing. Of course, there are a lot of adult women who shop at places like F21 or H&M, both clothing stores I personally love because there is so much clothing catered to small ladies like me. I can also fit in certain kids' clothing, but I don't buy kids. Not sophisticated enough for me.

A few stores here in Canada have juniors clothing.

Sizes are 00, 0, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 instead of 2, 4, 6, 8, etc.

Size 5 is roughly equivalent to size 4 I think. My sister wore 00 which was a kids size 10-12.

A few stores here in Canada have juniors clothing.

Sizes are 00, 0, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 instead of 2, 4, 6, 8, etc.

Size 5 is roughly equivalent to size 4 I think. My sister wore 00 which was a kids size 10-12.

You're right, generally a 00 in women's is a 0 in juniors, a 0 in women's is a 1 in juniors, etc. - it does differ by brand (as does women's clothing sizes), however I used to work for Hollister and Abercrombie (which are part of the same company), and Hollistet runs junior sizes, whereas Abercrombie has women's. The 00 at Abercrombie corresponded to a 24" waist, and at Hollister, the 00 was 23", and the 0 was 24".

One thing that I've noticed is that size proportions seem to be slightly different- I have a long torso so I probably notice this more, but many junior tees hit at my hip or slightly above, while the same brand in adult sizing hits slightly below. The biggest difference I noticed was in abercrombie kids/A&F shirts (I know... it was a phase... :run:), where there seemed to be a 3-5-in. difference in length

One thing that I've noticed is that size proportions seem to be slightly different- I have a long torso so I probably notice this more, but many junior tees hit at my hip or slightly above, while the same brand in adult sizing hits slightly below. The biggest difference I noticed was in abercrombie kids/A&F shirts (I know... it was a phase... :run:), where there seemed to be a 3-5-in. difference in length

Juniors clothing tends to be made for a more childlike body, so due to the fact that kids normally have smaller torsos and no boobs yet, the shirts will be shorter. (This is extremely annoying for me seeing as I have a long torso and am pretty tall.)