"Jennifer Lawrence body shames you more than you might have realized."

Apr 20, 2013
Toronto
This article was all over my Facebook wall tonight:

http://jennytrout.wordpress.com/2013/12/11/jennifer-lawrence-body-shames-you-more-than-you-might-have-realized/

Some sentiments I agreed with:

"First of all, consider her quotes. She would rather look chubby on screen, but like a person in real life. This is a message of positivity only for people who consider themselves chubby, and it comes at the expense of women who are thin. Maybe they’re thin because they’re sick. Maybe, they just like being thin, or they’re naturally slender. What this quote is saying is that these women aren’t people. I want to know, internet: at what percentage of body fat do women earn the right to be people?"

"simply feeling bad about your own weight doesn’t give you license to shame the bodies of women who are thinner than you are, or the choices of women who are fatter than you are."

"What’s even more troubling is that this mythos of the body-image warrior that the internet has created for Jennifer Lawrence has allowed her to say some pretty shitty things without much consequence. As long as she’s the down-to-earth, quirky, “body positive” weirdo, we can let bisexuality erasing and transphobic comments slide?"

There were also some comments that made me :roll eyes:

I'd love to hear some skinnies' opinions on it. The bitchier the better. :twisted:

For interested parties, the aforementioned shitty things that JLaw has said:
http://yourfaveisproblematic.tumblr.com/post/45661326649/jennifer-lawrence

I agree, she's a lot more troublesome than people think.
Here's another link that touches on her dumb words/offensive comments.

http://aimmyarrowshigh.tumblr.com/post/36649725368

Personally I think she's insecure about her own body and uses that as a defence mechanism, so she openly talks about her weight and says she's happy with it while really hating it. If she was so secure about herself and was truly comfortable being a chubby actress she wouldn't have slimmed down recently. It's one thing to hate your own body, it's another thing to hate on other peoples bodies and choices just because you're unhappy. She should stop pushing her anti-thin, body shaming, fat pride bullshit onto her fans because it is more problematic than she thinks.

Personally I think she's insecure about her own body and uses that as a defence mechanism, so she openly talks about her weight and says she's happy with it while really hating it.

Agree 100%. People that go on and on about how they're fat and happy, and they love and embrace their bodies are usually the ones that suddenly show up fifty pounds lighter, claiming they did it for, "their health, not because of any outside pressure." Just admit it; you were fat and unhappy, so you decided to become skinny and happy. I don't think many people are ever truly satisfied with their weight, whether they think they're too fat or too thin, so I wish the media would stop pushing this image of, "Every celebrity that is fat loves being fat! Don't worry about being a lardass!"

Thank you. I can't stand the shit which frequently leaves the mouth of this person. Yes, I'm still kind enough to allow her the right to be a person.

Most shocking is, that so many people think (and even tell me?!) she's adorable, because she's so funny and open and smart and carefree. - She's not. She's just rude and impolite und talks stupid, senseless stuff all the time. I don't know who gave her the free ticket to bash others and than being loved for it.

The reason why people love her is because she says these things and more than half of our (average) society probably agrees with everything she says. Its another excuse for them to not care about their body.

Oh well, Jennifer Lawrence doesn't work out, loves to eat, and thinks being curvy is awesome! Another reason for me to be gluttonous.

Because of this, people don't really take her comments in the distorted way they are actually being insinuated.

Our world is so ignorant!

Reactions: 1 user
The reason why people love her is because she says these things and more than half of our (average) society probably agrees with everything she says. Its another excuse for them to not care about their body.

Or reason why it's okay to shame other people they secretly envy.

Honestly, the hamplanets are never happy with anyone who is less than 300 lbs. :rolleyes: I think that Jennifer Lawrence is what the modern single digit size American woman wants to see, because they are relatively thin (compared to the lardos) and don't want to feel pressured to being thinner than they already are.

She is viewed as funny, which is what most people enjoy reading about online, which is why we have so many gifs on tumblr about her silly escapades. I don't view her as a bad person, or a body shamer, or anything of that sort. I view her as someone who makes a living by getting people to enjoy watching her, and she does it well. She has a huge following and is helping people feel better about themselves, which is a good thing in the long run. Most people are very insecure, and gaining some confidence about one's looks is important for self-esteem.

I think that the hamplanets are just put out that she's not really "fat enough" to be considered truly obese and "it's not fair" that she can claim to eat as much as she does (and we know that she doesn't eat all the time or else she would be a growing fatty) whilst they are eating that much and still beyond overweight.

/endrant

The food talk and body shaming this girl keeps dishing out is getting so fucking old.
I hate that people justify unhealthy habits because of Jennifer and I think that more than anything is not something to be proud of. To be in her position of power and to be advocating something that is killing your country is disgusting and unscrupulous.

No Jennifer, you don't have to be fucking skinny, and being skinny isn't a walk in park FYI, but to openly promote and justify a lifestyle such as that to "impressionable" young people, or Middle America or whatever is just as bad. She isn't promoting a normal sized body, she is promoting knowingly trashing your body. McDonalds being a killer isn't underground knowledge.

Lets just wait 10 years from now, when she wants to lose weight because she's fat, bloated and no longer being hired because she's not "fresh faced", wonder if she'll say no to a diet?

@Lillakosti wow that link. And I totally agree with you. She's clearly very insecure and taking it out on skinnies everywhere.

@Fremdschämen Yup. 100%.

@Amorematico Oh, I totally think it started as marketing. "Oh, me? I'm just a pretty oscar winning actress that gets everything I want. BUT I'm not skinny and don't want to be so LOVE ME cuz we da sameee!" Ugh. :superpuke:

@Andie Right? Everyone I showed this to IRL was like "Oh. I love her. I think she's funny/quirky." ... No.

@Xsmall Again, I totally agree.

@CallipygianRunner I agree that it's nice that she's making average women feel good about themselves, but why does it have to be at the expense of other body types? That's what doesn't sit well with me.

Lets just wait 10 years from now, when she wants to lose weight because she's fat, bloated and no longer being hired because she's not "fresh faced", wonder if she'll say no to a diet?
:roll eyes: Exactly.

@espressoenthusiast :nod:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like her in the movies she's in and she's funny in interviews, but I hate hearing her talk about food and bodies. For someone who is always promoting her own fatness she can sure be a bitch when it comes to other people for being skinny or even fat. For example: her saying she didn't want/like to kiss Christian Bale because he gained weight for his part in American Hustle. She gains weight in real life and everyone has to accept that but God forbid anyone else lose/gain weight. :facepalm:

I'm so so sick of reading/hearing from her about bodies and weight etc. What makes her the voice to listen to when it comes to body image and weight??

Boring, fat-thighed loudmouth.

Try a bit of fasting and meditation, Jennifer, then you might think of something interesting to say.

I just have to wonder how much she's spewing out is truth. I know when I'm feeling fat or anything I make jokes about eating a pizza to everyone. She's so fucking hypocritical because anyone can see that she works out a lot (Hayden Panettiere type muscle) so she excuses that with talking about her intake. I just can't believe that she's comfortable with herself because she makes too too many comments about her weight and appearance yet she changes her hair every single week. This article just says so much of what I've been thinking about her, and honestly when I look at her I see my formerly-bulimic self so much it's not even funny. I'm not insinuating that she has an eating disorder I just feel like anyone who talks that much about eating fries probably isn't just eating fries. It's fries and pizza and peanut butter cups and coke and anything else you can find. I'm only saying this because that was what I did.

Also, the way she talks about her health isn't a good example for young girls any more than seeing someone as thin as Vlada. They shouldn't think that they can eat anything and everything and be a size 6 any more than they should think they should eat nothing for a size 0. And I strongly refuse to believe that skinny models encourage young girls to not eat, I've never really understood that, they really only encourage you to be the best version of yourself.

I just have to wonder how much she's spewing out is truth. I know when I'm feeling fat or anything I make jokes about eating a pizza to everyone. She's so fucking hypocritical because anyone can see that she works out a lot (Hayden Panettiere type muscle) so she excuses that with talking about her intake. I just can't believe that she's comfortable with herself because she makes too too many comments about her weight and appearance yet she changes her hair every single week. This article just says so much of what I've been thinking about her, and honestly when I look at her I see my formerly-bulimic self so much it's not even funny. I'm not insinuating that she has an eating disorder I just feel like anyone who talks that much about eating fries probably isn't just eating fries. It's fries and pizza and peanut butter cups and coke and anything else you can find. I'm only saying this because that was what I did.

Also, the way she talks about her health isn't a good example for young girls any more than seeing someone as thin as Vlada. They shouldn't think that they can eat anything and everything and be a size 6 any more than they should think they should eat nothing for a size 0. And I strongly refuse to believe that skinny models encourage young girls to not eat, I've never really understood that, they really only encourage you to be the best version of yourself.

When do models say, "HEY KIDS. I NEVERRRRRRR EAAAAT."

It's always (fatass) adults who are like, "Do you see that thin/slim girl/model? She looks like she could really use a greasy burger. She looks hungry. I bet she NEVER EATS. SHE MUST BE STARVING RIGHT NOW."

Even that doesn't make a kid "anorexic". It just further pushes the notion that skinny = don't eat. :rolleyes:

When do models say, "HEY KIDS. I NEVERRRRRRR EAAAAT."

It's always (fatass) adults who are like, "Do you see that thin/slim girl/model? She looks like she could really use a greasy burger. She looks hungry. I bet she NEVER EATS. SHE MUST BE STARVING RIGHT NOW."

Even that doesn't make a kid "anorexic". It just further pushes the notion that skinny = don't eat. :rolleyes:

Ugh I know, even on HL's instagram pictures (like where she mentions her diet) people are telling her that they want to feed her ice cream and greasy food. It's like people assume that you're miserable if you're not constantly stuffing a pizza or greasy burger or something into your face.

Also, that if you're skinny you're hungry.

I really can't believe how she continues to say shit about refusing to refusing to change her body for a role. If she was just glorifying being average looking, I wouldn't care at all, but the way she talks about her weight in regards to the characters she plays is so insulting to other actors. I thought doing a movie with Christian Bale would have taught her some tact but nope.

Look at the line up for this year's award nominees. She's the only one who didn't make any sort of change (weight or otherwise) for her role.

I'd love it if she started spewing this nonsense on the red carpet at the Oscars near Matthew Mcconaughey and Jared Leto.

I also reaaaally want to see a picture of her with Sandra Bullock. Her terrible habits are already showing in her face- she's only 22 (!!!) but her face is getting haggard. Meanwhile Sandra is almost 50 and looks like a goddess. Them posing together would be amazing.

I like her in the movies she's in and she's funny in interviews, but I hate hearing her talk about food and bodies. For someone who is always promoting her own fatness she can sure be a bitch when it comes to other people for being skinny or even fat. For example: her saying she didn't want/like to kiss Christian Bale because he gained weight for his part in American Hustle. She gains weight in real life and everyone has to accept that but God forbid anyone else lose/gain weight. :facepalm:

Oh Gosh I hate that.

Many actors gain and lose weight because they take their job fucking seriously, they are passionate about the role. Here she is , a new comer all acting all high and mighty , when there are actors who've lost and gained half their body weight to give an accurate portrayal of the character. Of course talking about her role in H.G. If she continues on like saying how she'll never lose weight for a role, I'm sure there are many newcomer actors who will gladly take her roles