Instagram Versus Reality

Being a wistful old fart, but could the age of insta-whoring comes to a screeching halt sooner than later PLEASE. Imagine a world where the popular thing to do is give off an off-the-grid vibe and where people cherish a bit of mystery.
This.

Today I saw someone post essentially a nude to her feed. Nudity and artistic expression is one thing, a bathroom selfie for 1000+ followers to see is another...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I know this girl. We're eskimo sisters.

That's where my "six degrees of separation" always comes from :naughty: Her ex boyfriend also follows me on Instagram that's how I found out about her.

@sabine Always one step ahead of me ;) thanks for posting those articles, super interesting to read

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I think for rich kids in the LA area it's not uncommon for wealthy parents to pay for nose jobs and lip fillers early, which I think is fucked up too. According to a gossip forum site, someone said their friend Madison Beer (extremely wealthy, associated with Justin Bieber, instafamous teen) befriended Sahar and Kelsey and actually paid for their surgery... I have no idea the validity of that, but clearly they've all gotten some work done, somehow, but facetune a ton too.
hell, i'm from LA and I knew a girl who's parents bought her a *BOOB* job at 16

• Sad
  • Gross
Reactions: 5 users
It's so frightening to me that these girls get so much work done at such a young age. It is quite remarkable how aged these insta models (Gigi, Bella, Kendall, the Baldwin included) look. I'm 24 and I look much younger than a lot of these 16-20 year olds.

Fillers are meant for people who have wrinkles, lines, etc. I just don't understand why they think injections and procedures are smart at such a young age. Who wants to look 10+ years older than they are?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
It's so frightening to me that these girls get so much work done at such a young age. It is quite remarkable how aged these insta models (Gigi, Bella, Kendall, the Baldwin included) look. I'm 24 and I look much younger than a lot of these 16-20 year olds.

Fillers are meant for people who have wrinkles, lines, etc. I just don't understand why they think injections and procedures are smart at such a young age. Who wants to look 10+ years older than they are?

This is an interesting point - I don't really get why you would want to look older, at least not personally. It destroys the natural effortless look that honestly after you pass a certain age you would kill to have. We as a society need to enjoy that lack of wrinkles and fine lines and fully appreciate how amazing it is to be able to walk out of the house with no makeup and have the skin we do.

Not to get philosopical but I think it's relevant - we spend so much time preparing for the future (or just trying to avoid reality) that we don't enjoy the stage of life we are in now

• Agree
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

Fillers and botox can help if you have wrinkles and other signs of ageing, but they can also completely remodel a face. These girls look 10 years older, but before they looked like completely unremarkable 19 year olds, now they look like a far more striking 30 year olds. I don't like the look either, but haven't filled in non-existent wrinkles, they have altered the structure of their faces.

The 'instagram face', which every girl seems to have at the moment, is a combination of cheek bone and tear trough fillers which give the appearance of high cheek bones. They are getting fat removed from just under the jaw line and chin, plus some fillers on the jaw line, giving a much sharper look. They almost all ways have a nose job. They have lip fillers obviously, but they also get fillers around the mouth which supports the edges of the lips. I suspect lots of them have threads which raise their eyebrows slightly.

You can change a relatively plain face, without great bone structure, into something quite striking, and I have seen people use these products really effectively and naturally.

Only time will tell how this will work out for them in the future. Most of these things have only been commonly used for the last 7-8 years, so we can't be sure what the results will be from long term, prolonged use.

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 4 users
hell, i'm from LA and I knew a girl who's parents bought her a *BOOB* job at 16

It's crazy you can just pay money to have elective surgery on your child, and it's crazy there are people who would do that, and it's crazy that doctors are willing.

My family is from a country with very advanced plastic surgery because many people have been mutilated in a civil war there. Very sad that medics with the skill to rescue people's dignity and place in society after an attack or accident would rather use their knowledge to monetise a teenager's insecurity :(

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
All these instagram girls are basically clones of each other. Some have slightly bigger curves, some blonde, some brunette... but they all look so similar.

https://instagram.com/p/BTevxAVjcEn/

The sad part is that is not only the outside appearance that is almost identical, but if you look at their feeds they all post the exact same kind of shots, go to the same kind of places, buy the same brands, have look-alike clone friends. I just don't understand how they don't get this unease from their lack of individuality?

Also, funny thought: Yesterday I was reading an article about how China is developing and pushing a system for safe payments using face-recognition technology, and I immediately thought about all these clones with the same "Instagram Face". How would that work in this case? Also would the face scanning be with or without the tons of make up they wear on a daily basis to look like a Kardashian mutant?

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
All these instagram girls are basically clones of each other. Some have slightly bigger curves, some blonde, some brunette... but they all look so similar.

IDK, the top girl stands out to me because her arms look like Saveloys

a0YAa3u.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: 2 users
Here's one that goes the other way around. One thing that always shocks me is how TINY Fiona Briseno is in person. On Instagram her body appears extremely average... in person her legs are probably HALF the size of mine. On Instagram though...

Here's one that goes the other way around. One thing that always shocks me is how TINY Fiona Briseno is in person. On Instagram her body appears extremely average... in person her legs are probably HALF the size of mine. On Instagram though...

Ikr?
This video is horrible, but the one in which she's wearing a bra and shorts is so good! And on some other photos, I can see how tiny she is, too! Great thinspo for me!

She's in my agency. I think they just decided that she was going to be more of a swim/ miami girl rather than a NYC girl- hence weight gain. Funny because I was having the same thoughts.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I will leave it here, her own thread is somewhere in the nirvana, and not worth a bump; popped up in my timeline, it looks like the transition to look like YETanotherInstamodel is complete:

before:
Jayxoda.jpg

now:
SGPOyfR.jpg

• Sad
  • Funny
  • WTF
Reactions: 8 users