Instagram Models (NOT models & their Instagrams)

http://www.boredpanda.com/truth-behind-instagram-social-media-not-real-life-essena-oneill/
18-year-old internet sensation Essena O’Neill had been making thousands of dollars modeling on Instagram and sharing her pictures with almost 580,000 followers, but all that changed last week. The Australian deleted 2,000 photos from her account and changed the name to “Social Media Is Not Real Life.” She has since re-captioned many of the remaining photos to reveal the “truth” behind them, and launched a new website, “Let’s Be Game Changers.”

“Without realising, I’ve spent the majority of my teenage life being addicted to social media, social approval, social status and my physical appearance,” O’Neill wrote in an October 27th Instagram post. “Social media, especially how I used it, isn’t real. It’s a system based on social approval, likes, validation in views, success in followers. It’s perfectly orchestrated, self-absorbed judgement.”
anti-social-media-lets-be-game-changers-essena-oneill-2.jpg

anti-social-media-lets-be-game-changers-essena-oneill-9.jpg

How annoying. I'm so tired of people claiming social media is fake, and blah, blah, blah attention and validation. Just because you used it in such a way doesn't mean the rest of the world does. On some of my SM accounts, I have less than a hundred followers, and that doesn't bother me. I post pictures for my friends or myself. If I don't get a single like or comment, who cares?

Reactions: 2 users
How annoying. I'm so tired of people claiming social media is fake, and blah, blah, blah attention and validation. Just because you used it in such a way doesn't mean the rest of the world does. On some of my SM accounts, I have less than a hundred followers, and that doesn't bother me. I post pictures for my friends or myself. If I don't get a single like or comment, who cares?
I agree, she is just a spoiled rich brat who's changing one falsity wuth another for the sake of attention. She simply got the hint that being against "fake" social media and "extreme" body standards is the new cool.

Ugh reading about this Essena O'Neill stuff today really struck an annoying cord with me! I have what some people would consider to be a decent online following - it isn't like what she makes it out to be, not for me anyway! Sure, you can work with companies and get lots of emails offering things like that, but you don't have to accept them... no one pressured her to do these things she is apparently so horrified with! :cautious: Personally, I'm selective with collaborations and things like that, I only will work with labels I already love or ones that really appeal to me (plus, it has to be something I think my followers will be interested in and want to see :)). The whole 'beware of what people promote' thing is definitely not true in all cases. People I'm acquainted with and friends with online are all genuine in their promotional and brand collaboration activities, only promoting things they truly like (and not selling out!)! Maybe that is more-so not the case with the 'fitness' side of Instagram that Essena was a part of.

She clearly has a great deal of her self worth invested in her online activities, and is making the sweeping generalizations that anyone who is active with blogging and social media is just like her and that it is all 'fake' - no at all true. I just be myself with my blogging/Instagramming because it's fun, why bother putting up this fake front that she seems to think everyone does? Ain't nobody got time for that!! :spazrun:

And for me being involved in fashion, social media is a great thing to have! As with any creative field its a great way to share your work, spread the word about events and get involved with things. I don't get what she's harping on about how she *could* have pursued writing or something artistic had it not been for Instagram... It's not like you can't do fun creative things while enjoying posting on social media, haha! Why not do both?

Basically I was reading through articles about this all over Facebook with this facial expression - :wtf:
Haha ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Ugh reading about this Essena O'Neill stuff today really struck an annoying cord with me! I have what some people would consider to be a decent online following - it isn't like what she makes it out to be, not for me anyway! Sure, you can work with companies and get lots of emails offering things like that, but you don't have to accept them... no one pressured her to do these things she is apparently so horrified with! :cautious: Personally, I'm selective with collaborations and things like that, I only will work with labels I already love or ones that really appeal to me (plus, it has to be something I think my followers will be interested in and want to see :)). The whole 'beware of what people promote' thing is definitely not true in all cases. People I'm acquainted with and friends with online are all genuine in their promotional and brand collaboration activities, only promoting things they truly like (and not selling out!)! Maybe that is more-so not the case with the 'fitness' side of Instagram that Essena was a part of.

She clearly has a great deal of her self worth invested in her online activities, and is making the sweeping generalizations that anyone who is active with blogging and social media is just like her and that it is all 'fake' - no at all true. I just be myself with my blogging/Instagramming because it's fun, why bother putting up this fake front that she seems to think everyone does? Ain't nobody got time for that!! :spazrun:

And for me being involved in fashion, social media is a great thing to have! As with any creative field its a great way to share your work, spread the word about events and get involved with things. I don't get what she's harping on about how she *could* have pursued writing or something artistic had it not been for Instagram... It's not like you can't do fun creative things while enjoying posting on social media, haha! Why not do both?

Basically I was reading through articles about this all over Facebook with this facial expression - :wtf:
Haha ;)
I really enjoyed your rant! :highfive:
People go to greath lenghts these days to justify and give heroic appereance to their weaknesses.
They are so braaave for calling out on the fashion industry, or social media of whatever thing they suck at! :bs:

Reactions: 1 user
She had a very public emotional outburst. If your work makes you feel empty and unfulfilled, you should seek out a more meaningful occupation if you have the means to. Many, many people work jobs that they hate and that definitely don't fulfill them. I'm sure they'd love to get paid $1000 for posing in a bikini instead of scrubbing toilets for $8 an hour, but they don't get to do that. It's good that she realized that what she was doing made her feel so unhappy so she can change it, but it was unnecessary to broadcast this "revelation" the way that she did. She's young, she has both the time and resources to pursue what ever she wants and she could have just announced that in a reasonable manner to her followers and moved on. Instead she decided to go crazy and claim social media is "evil" and "brainwashing" people.

Reactions: 3 users
I really enjoyed your rant! :highfive:
People go to greath lenghts these days to justify and give heroic appereance to their weaknesses.
They are so braaave for calling out on the fashion industry, or social media of whatever thing they suck at! :bs:

Hehe I'm glad you enjoyed reading my ranting! :p :blahblah:
I don't usually ever get bothered by anything enough to rant, but this totally got on my nerves, haha! :spazrun:

Poor little rich kid. Let's all pity her and talk about it.
She's just another annoying brat

Reactions: 3 users
I'm so sick of people like her telling everyone how social media is and why it's wrong when it's just their own skewed approach to it that was unhealthy.

A lot of people I follow take photos of places they visit and I love seeing stuff like this. It's an amazing thing that social media allows you to see images from friends around the world. Not everybody spends two years ruining every good time they should have had by posing hard all day, most people take a few snaps and then get back to what they were doing, much as they would have done with an ordinary camera. This Esenna is an idiot.

Reactions: 2 users
I love how she's complaining about social medias while using a social media and getting even more attention (and money since she has a YouTube channel too) than she had before lol.

As a [real] model, SM really freaks me out. Our Instagram handles are attached to our page on our agency's site. At castings, they will ask for our handle--more followers, more [free] advertising. I'm terrible at it. I feel like a weird narcissist taking selfies at the gym. I went through handfull of model's instagrams and found that, on average, a successful model-SM posted about 9 photos a week with about 80% of the content being pictures of themselves (some were as high as 90%, but not many lower than 65%).
Maybe it's just me, but I find all of these "models" so vain and annoying it kind of disgusts me--I always wonder how long a single picture posted takes to come into fruition, how much grooming these women do on a daily basis, and how they must think of themselves. Confidence is great, but when it arrives at this level, fueled by anonymous appraisal and "followers" I think it becomes destructive and unattractive. Beyond that, my whole family (my nieces/cousins, some of whom are my age) are obessed with these "models," even more so than *real* models because their "whole job is just to be skinny and pretty and travel everywhere with their boyfriend--cough alexis ren cough-- and get told they're pretty omgggg". I think having this many fake models on instagram clouds out the reality of actual modelling, and makes it appear so idyllic and accessible to the average teen, which makes it so popular. One of my cousins, who though definitely slim and pretty, is nothing special and is only 5'4-5'5 somehow thinks she has a shot at being a famous actress or commercial model now, just because of these girls, as long as she posts pretty enough pictures. It's super deluded, and I know they aren't the only ones. I think having women like these as role models, whose pseudo fame and fortune will go as quickly as they came, are horrible for girls in an era where women actually DO have options, career paths, and identities aside from their appearance and desirability (which expire after around age 25, let's not kid ourselves here). Why aren't there any examples of women with top careers or in graduate school, and of their busy lives on Instagram (those pretty, average, and otherwise)? Oh right--it's because they're actually DOING something with their lives and aren't just lounging about photographing all of the cool free things they got.

Haha ;)
You two are so smart!

When you go on model's instagram, what kind of content do you like? Everyone here seems sensitive to how narcissistic it can be but that particular method is by far the most successful. I post a lot of books that I am reading and cats and it really hurts me as a model and I know I need to change---but this change would be very artificial. I don't think people want to see my 'real' life.
Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 users
When you go on model's instagram, what kind of content do you like? Everyone here seems sensitive to how narcissistic it can be but that particular method is by far the most successful. I post a lot of books that I am reading and cats and it really hurts me as a model and I know I need to change---but this change would be very artificial. I don't think people want to see my 'real' life.
Thoughts?
this is also something thats been bothering me lately. theres a girl in my agency that started modelling around the same time as me this year. while she already had a huge sm following (10k+ on instagram) to begin with, because she posts several photos of herself every day (whether theyre selfies, test shoots, jobs, etc.) her popularity has exploded (almost 40k on instagram, and constantly getting offers for jobs, test shoots, etc. through instagram). on the other had, i began with 200-300? followers and now still only have slightly over 1000, because similarly to you i prefer to post pics ... that dont constantly include my face. personally i also prefer to follow people on instagram that post photos other than just their selfies, so even thoguh i initially anticipated my friend's endless stream of photos now im just bored.
so i have a dilemma: completely exploit myself and get more work/popular/followers, but go against my beliefs and interests? or continue doing what i do and pray to the model industry gods that there is someone out there who understands me and will take me under their wing??

this is also something thats been bothering me lately. theres a girl in my agency that started modelling around the same time as me this year. while she already had a huge sm following (10k+ on instagram) to begin with, because she posts several photos of herself every day (whether theyre selfies, test shoots, jobs, etc.) her popularity has exploded (almost 40k on instagram, and constantly getting offers for jobs, test shoots, etc. through instagram). on the other had, i began with 200-300? followers and now still only have slightly over 1000, because similarly to you i prefer to post pics ... that dont constantly include my face. personally i also prefer to follow people on instagram that post photos other than just their selfies, so even thoguh i initially anticipated my friend's endless stream of photos now im just bored.
so i have a dilemma: completely exploit myself and get more work/popular/followers, but go against my beliefs and interests? or continue doing what i do and pray to the model industry gods that there is someone out there who understands me and will take me under their wing??
31263365.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Thoughts?

I'm sympathetic to professional models putting images of themselves on instagram because being photographed is such a key part of their work. It's the same as me taking photos of my drawings and posting them. Most people don't tend to call you narcissistic for photographing stuff you've drawn or painted but it sort of is, really. I think also, it is clear that agencies must be insisting on a social media presence. Again, design agencies insist you promote yourselves so I have always assumed model agencies put pressure on models to update their profiles.

I like it when models take a mixture of shots that give some hints about their life and which are mixed in with images of themselves which aren't always selfies but often shots from shoots or with friends. I think Zhenya has a very nice instagram; she doesn't seem vain or self obsessed, but you see from the shots exactly why she is a model and it provides an intriguing look at little snippets of her life. I think she has found a nice balance between promoting herself and showing a more personal side. https://instagram.com/zhenyakatava/?hl=en

Last edited:
Thoughts?

I enjoy a good mix of their work/backstage/print/outtakes, style/skinnispiration, general lifestyle (books/home-spa type stuff is always fun, landscape/nature stuff, some very minimal food), and silly/endearing things they are doing or identify with (dubsmash, gifs, quotes).

I think if it's always just the model in selfie after selfie, it's really annoying. But if it's the model's work and style and gym time for part of it, mixed in with a healthy dose of "here is my actual personality" then I find I'm more engaged. Maybe, in addition to posting books, you could post quotes that you like, or pictures that remind you of something you were reading? From what I see around SG, you are interesting and intelligent, and people will want to see that. And while the whole selfies/posting pictures of your work/backstage/outakes, might feel artificial, it's about compromise. Also, don't underestimate the power of feeling shy (if that is what it is), because that can be captivating in itself if it come across on film. :)

Anyway, I know first hand how uncomfortable it is to do things that feel so unnatural. Good luck! Because you seem to work very hard and you deserve the success. :kiss:

Reactions: 4 users
I am ashamed to say that I used to be an "instagram model" of sorts.... Companies sent me shit and payed me to post pictures of it to share with my many followers. I deleted my instagram account a few months ago when I realized just how stupid it all was. There are so so so many of these types of instagram "models" here in hawaii. It is completely the norm for high school and college girls here to have thousands of followers and post pictures of their asses on the beach 24/7. To be completely honest, it was nice getting free clothing/swimwear/beauty products and getting paid to pose and post with them, but eventually it just gets ridiculous. It feels like you're living some sort of fake double life... you get obsessed with making everything into a posed photo-op rather than just enjoying the moment.

It feels like you're living some sort of fake double life... you get obsessed with making everything into a posed photo-op rather than just enjoying the moment.

This reminds me of a girl in my class. How misleading pictures are I mean.
On instagram she looks so fun and happy and enjoying her life. However, when I speak to her the conversations are about
- a) how lonely and unhappy she is (do they show on her pictures????)
- b) getting a boyfriend (to take pictures with)
- c) her bad grades (which distract her from getting better pictures)

Do you remember when that video came out of Ian Somerhalder to his fans and how the girl cared more about getting a picture with him than enjoying the fact he was right in front of her. It was like that with her.

Thoughts?

I always like to see photos of their interests and hobbies! And their own fashion style - photos of what they're wearing, cool hairstyles and makeup that they do... things like that which give a sense of who they are beyond just their lovely looks :D