"I'm A Child Anorexic"

Yulia

Worker Bee
Jul 24, 2012
Has anyone seen this documentary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysb7J5nnY9M

It's about an in-patient clinic for young girls struggling with anorexia... I reacted very strongly to some of the tactics and ideas the clinic espouses. It seemed that they were doing an enormous disservice to their patients (feeding them high-fat foods but evidently very very few fruits or vegetables; telling the girls that 'anything related to food is non-negotiable'; acknowledging that their patients developed eating disorders because they were trying to gain control over their lives... but meanwhile limiting virtually all autonomy and taking all control away from them). It was also disturbing to see them force feed their patients peanut butter and cream. What the hell?! That's just disgusting and unhealthy.

Anyway, what do you all think? Perhaps those of you with experience at clinics and rehabilitation facilities have different perspectives? I'm just really struggling to see how some of these strategies are psychologically sound...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
It's cause the woman who runs it can't cook! It's foul :/

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

I agree, I saw it a year or two ago and completely disagreed with their tactics. They seemed to only care about getting the girls weight up at any cost, rather than dealing with underlying issues or teaching healthy eating. I don't think their methods could be recommended ones :S

I don't like the way the treatment was handled either, and if I had to go there I'd flip out. Chips, chocolate, fries are unhealthy, regardless of whether or not you have an eating disorder. That's teaching the girls bad eating habits, when they could be teaching them how to eat healthy foods. When you eat shitty food, you feel bad about your self/self image.

I'm currently suffering from and eating disorder (apparently) and it's hard enough just having to go to occasional counselling appointments. I don't know how I'd cope in a place like that. They do it completely wrong in my opinion, they should start by giving the patients regular portions of normal healthy food and slowly increase the amount as their confidence and attitude towards eating improves. Also Dr Dee Dawson doesn't run it any more I think, it's been taken over by a private care company (but I think fees can still be payed by health insurance or even the NHS if it's a very serious case)

I'm currently suffering from and eating disorder (apparently) and it's hard enough just having to go to occasional counselling appointments. I don't know how I'd cope in a place like that. They do it completely wrong in my opinion, they should start by giving the patients regular portions of normal healthy food and slowly increase the amount as their confidence and attitude towards eating improves. Also Dr Dee Dawson doesn't run it any more I think, it's been taken over by a private care company (but I think fees can still be payed by health insurance or even the NHS if it's a very serious case)

Are you sure being in SkinnyGossip while having an eating disorder in your age is the right choice for you/your health?

Please be very, very careful. This has me worried.

I agree with @stardust and @SFsun, it's definitely important to be careful and make sure you are okay! SG never encourages self-harm but if you are currently suffering from an eating disorder, you may not have the right mentality for it and you're very young! Any self-harm may end up effecting you really badly in the long run!
Take care of yourself

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with @stardust and @SFsun, it's definitely important to be careful and make sure you are okay! SG never encourages self-harm but if you are currently suffering from an eating disorder, you may not have the right mentality for it and you're very young! Any self-harm may end up effecting you really badly in the long run!
Take care of yourself
I said 'apparently' because I'm pretty sure it's just my parents overreacting. They seem to think that just cos I want to diet I've got an ED :wtf:

Last edited by a moderator: