Iconic Handbags?

A skinny girl plus a good handbag=perfection ;) it's all I want in life.
:nod:

Sometimes when I see a girl with a nice bag eating something fattening I tell her not to let her Balenciaga City down.
(Not really, although it's definitely an idea for the future. :sneaky:)

Reactions: 1 users
:nod:

Sometimes when I see a girl with a nice bag eating something fattening I tell her not to let her Balenciaga City down.
(Not really, although it's definitely an idea for the future. :sneaky:)

Tempting though, isn't it? ;)

Absolutely agree. I think the speedy is iconic but there are loads of teenagers with that bag. At uni it's the bigger one, shown in the picture above (especially popular with the Asian girls). And around sale time - I don't think they even do sales but there is always a huge queue (mostly tourists) at Harrods and Selfridges for those monogram bags. They always have security guards and let people go in small groups.
Don't get me wrong, some of the stuff is lovely but because too many people have them it just loses the appeal.

Oh I hate the Monogram speedy and neverfull, all my girlfriends have them IRL and it's just so...meh. The main reason why so many girls have them is because they are the cheapest Vuittons.

I own a Monogram Palermo PM, Damier Verona PM, Vernis Alma in Amarante and Vernis Brea in Blanc Corail. Also a Monogram Pochette Accessoires and Multicolore Keys Holder in black. LV was the first brand I fell in love with (and could afford) so I still have a soft spot for it.

I have an idea for a thread but I'm not sure if it'll fly - why don't we post pics of our handbag(s) and what we carry in them? I love seeing "What's in your bag" posts and I expect that most skinnies have tightly edited accessories/necessities in their bags (unlike fatties, most of whom I know are slobs and their bags are full of trash).

I have an idea for a thread but I'm not sure if it'll fly - why don't we post pics of our handbag(s) and what we carry in them? I love seeing "What's in your bag" posts and I expect that most skinnies have tightly edited accessories/necessities in their bags (unlike fatties, most of whom I know are slobs and their bags are full of trash).

Ha I was actually thinking this yesterday. I don't mind posting mine if people are curious but I don't know if people want treads like these.

I think a thread like that would be cool, but I understand if the majority is not interested.

Ha I was actually thinking this yesterday. I don't mind posting mine if people are curious but I don't know if people want treads like these.
I'd be interested seeing in yours! Hehe, and @lechevrefeuille's too. I don't expect most members to participate in it or anything but many of you girls have a lot more unique or sophisticated style than many girls I see/know IRL, so I'd love to see photos. Besides this is a sub forum for accessories so I think it's relevant. Plus being skinny is part of our lifestyle so I think there must some things about/in our bags that reflect aspects of our "skinny girl lives". ;)

I would also love to see @Skinny Gurl's bag and the contents because I really liked her posts in The Closet in the past. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to 'snoop' and see what is in everyone's bags! I'll show you mine if you show me yours! (that being said, mine is full of receipts, lipstick...and a kindle...not that thrilling but I'll show it!)

On the subject of iconic bags. I went through a phase where I thought I should get one...or at least upgrade to something 'nicer', but I discovered I'm much too utilitarian and need a bag that is going to take a beating...so I really like these comments on bags you ladies own and what is 'holding up' through the year(s)

That being said, this thread is quite useful since I see a few bags that actually do have some potential hmmm......keep the iconic handbags coming!

Question for you ladies which I will pose up here b/c I don't want to start a new thread & you may be able to offer some insight on the topic considering your appreciation for classic bags.

So I have been thinking about buying an "iconic bag". However, if I buy something I actually want to USE it & not be AFRAID of using it. Thus, I have two possibilities, 2nd hand, which will save me some $$ and in some warped way make me less nervous about it b/c it has already been slightly broken in! Or I could just get over it and buy a new bag. However, if it's the latter, then where is the best place (State, or even country) to purchase & not get stuck paying hundreds in taxes?! I occasionally get to travel around & since I'm not in a hurry, I figure I can do some research on where to get the best price for the exact item I like when the opportunity presents itself.

For second hand, I know there is are some websites & consignment shops that I could investigate. However, have any of you ladies bought any vintage bags from a consignment shop or such? I personally would want to see the bag first before purchasing one, but I figure I'll set up some alerts on some reputable websites.

As for my ideal bag, Classichic basically hit the nail on the head in post #1, but I wouldn't necessarily limit my search for a Chanel flap bag (silver hardware!) either. It just depends when I see the 'perfect' bag if it seems to suit me:p

Question for you ladies which I will pose up here b/c I don't want to start a new thread & you may be able to offer some insight on the topic considering your appreciation for classic bags.

So I have been thinking about buying an "iconic bag". However, if I buy something I actually want to USE it & not be AFRAID of using it. Thus, I have two possibilities, 2nd hand, which will save me some $$ and in some warped way make me less nervous about it b/c it has already been slightly broken in! Or I could just get over it and buy a new bag. However, if it's the latter, then where is the best place (State, or even country) to purchase & not get stuck paying hundreds in taxes?! I occasionally get to travel around & since I'm not in a hurry, I figure I can do some research on where to get the best price for the exact item I like when the opportunity presents itself.

For second hand, I know there is are some websites & consignment shops that I could investigate. However, have any of you ladies bought any vintage bags from a consignment shop or such? I personally would want to see the bag first before purchasing one, but I figure I'll set up some alerts on some reputable websites.

As for my ideal bag, Classichic basically hit the nail on the head in post #1, but I wouldn't necessarily limit my search for a Chanel flap bag (silver hardware!) either. It just depends when I see the 'perfect' bag if it seems to suit me:p

Oregon has no sales tax, and it has a Saks Fifth Avenue and several Nordstrom stores ;) Alaska doesn't have sales tax either and it has a Nordstrom in Anchorage.

I don't know about taxes in states. But as far as I know bags are cheaper in Europe than the US (especially for European designers) currently (due to exchange rate). I think London or Paris is the best place. I think Paris has more options for certain designers. But London is is one of the easiest places to find something. Also, in Heathrow there are a ton of stores (it's like a mini mall) so it works out cheaper. I haven't brought any iconic bags from the airport but you save a little on VAT/tax. Not sure either if they sell an icon there (some might not even have them at the airport) but you can probably phone them up and reserve one before you go if you're flying through Heathrow. And if you're buying from the UK or Europe and are an American citizen you can claim back the tax. :)
A

Thanks ladies! Sorry for the late response. I saw these replies but I completely zoned out last time and didn't remember to reply. I also saw the thread: Instant reveal: my latest purchase! by @lechevrefeuille which was helpful too so thank you everyone for the info! One day it will happen... one day....

Last edited by a moderator: