How to organise your clothes!

F

fatbarbie

Some tips about how to organise your clothes and say goodbye to your messy wardrobe where you never find anything! I hope you like it ;).

• Edit your wardrobe. Get rid of anything that is permanently stained, irrevocably torn, or too big. Then add anything you haven’t worn for two years to the pile.

• Invite a friend or family member whose opinion you trust to act as a critic of your entire wardrobe. Discard accordingly.

• Divide your wardrobe into winter and summer clothes. Make sure at the end of each season that clothes are clean, pressed, mended and packed away until they are needed again. This will free you up to see what you really need now.

• Fashion editors keep the boxes that their shoes came in, stick a Polaroid of the pair on the box and stack boxes like a shoe shop. Easy to see, neat to store.:luv:

• Buy essentials in multiples - have enough underwear, tights and socks for two weeks.

• Hang up your clothes every night, put your shoes away, and put your dirty laundry in the laundry basket. Then lay out your clothes for the next day, making sure they’re clean and pressed.

• Have two laundry baskets - one for whites, one for coloureds. It’s time-consuming to sort the weekly wash, and even more time consuming to deal with clothes that have run due to not being correctly divided.

• Do a wardrobe plan - almost like a weekly menu. Have enough combinations for a two-week rotation to allow for cleaning. Then stick your plan on your wardrobe door.

I'm a real freak neat when it comes to clothes. My wardrobe is organized by colour and type of clothes (e.g: cardigans at the very end on the right). I know where is everything, that way when I'm looking for something, it doesn't take me an hour to seek a pair of pants for instance (even those are organized into specific piles -light coloured, darker jeans, neat/more "proper pants", casual, black pants -I LOVE those, I have so many in different styles, loll, etc.) :sneaky:)! And most of the time I know what I'll be wearing in advance so that, then again, I don't spend too much time wondering in front of my wardrobe.

Yes, I like to stay very organized too! Thanks for the tips :)

(the only thing that doesn't work for me is putting away seasonal clothing.. I like to sometimes wear summer clothing in the winter and winter clothing in the summer.. just depends on the weather and where I'm going)

I'm a real freak neat when it comes to clothes. My wardrobe is organized by colour and type of clothes (e.g: cardigans at the very end on the right). I know where is everything, that way when I'm looking for something, it doesn't take me an hour to seek a pair of pants for instance (even those are organized into specific piles -light coloured, darker jeans, neat/more "proper pants", casual, black pants -I LOVE those, I have so many in different styles, loll, etc.) :sneaky:)! And most of the time I know what I'll be wearing in advance so that, then again, I don't spend too much time wondering in front of my wardrobe.

Can you come and take charge of my wardrobe?

Can you come and take charge of my wardrobe?

Hmmm, I'd have to cross the ocean for that :p
But seriously, try it out and if it may be a bit harder to maintain at first, you'll soon get used to it: it's SO much more practical and easy on the eye than a messy wardrobe ;) And as I said, it's easier too to get dressed and have a fab style more quickly :grin:

Great tips! I am very particular about order and neatness and these tips are perfect :) I especially love the shoe idea I will give it a try :grin:

Some tips about how to organise your clothes and say goodbye to your messy wardrobe where you never find anything! I hope you like it ;).

• Edit your wardrobe. Get rid of anything that is permanently stained, irrevocably torn, or too big. Then add anything you haven’t worn for two years to the pile.

• Invite a friend or family member whose opinion you trust to act as a critic of your entire wardrobe. Discard accordingly.

• Divide your wardrobe into winter and summer clothes. Make sure at the end of each season that clothes are clean, pressed, mended and packed away until they are needed again. This will free you up to see what you really need now.

• Fashion editors keep the boxes that their shoes came in, stick a Polaroid of the pair on the box and stack boxes like a shoe shop. Easy to see, neat to store.:luv:

• Buy essentials in multiples - have enough underwear, tights and socks for two weeks.

• Hang up your clothes every night, put your shoes away, and put your dirty laundry in the laundry basket. Then lay out your clothes for the next day, making sure they’re clean and pressed.

• Have two laundry baskets - one for whites, one for coloureds. It’s time-consuming to sort the weekly wash, and even more time consuming to deal with clothes that have run due to not being correctly divided.

• Do a wardrobe plan - almost like a weekly menu. Have enough combinations for a two-week rotation to allow for cleaning. Then stick your plan on your wardrobe door.

I'm such a freak I'm already doing all of this and my clothes are all organized by colour/ sleeve lengths, type of tops etc. However, I don't choose my outfit the night before. If it's clinics then i wear smart clothes but if I just have lectures or an easy day then a quick scan of the weather through the window.

I love you

I just moved so this is the perfect post for organizing my closet. Nothing too imposing or overwhelming, but really practical tips for being orderly.

Thanks!

Curious... how do you guys keep your t-shirts?
I used to fold them and keep them in drawers. But it was a hassle to search for a specific tee and the drawers would become messy very fast, plus the shirts would get creases. So I started hanging them. It is supposed to be bad for the shape of the tee, but I love to open the doors of my closet and see my tshirts all lined up by color:)

Curious... how do you guys keep your t-shirts?
I used to fold them and keep them in drawers. But it was a hassle to search for a specific tee and the drawers would become messy very fast, plus the shirts would get creases. So I started hanging them. It is supposed to be bad for the shape of the tee, but I love to open the doors of my closet and see my tshirts all lined up by color:)

I hang all my jeans for this reason, however I don't have room to hang the t-shirts so I categorise them in different piles. I also put the design/jersey tops and plain ones into separate drawers so that I don't confuse them.

I take out and refold everything regularly otherwise drawers are a nightmare!

@cokediet I fold my tees like you might see in a store... I'll try and explain: fold both sleeves behind at the shoulder seams, then fold the bottom of the shirt up to the top, then fold the new bottom up to the top again so you have a neat little envelope. Then the trick for keeping them tidy in your drawer when you are trying to find the right shirt...

Put your tees in your drawer like papers in a file! Since they are folded the above way they fit just fine and you can see the front center of every shirt when you open your drawer!

I hope that makes sense...

Last edited by a moderator:

brb building a time machine and not throwing away all my shoe boxes. but seriously, my shoe closet is embarrassing--it's literally just a pit of shoes. i've looked online for storage solutions but they all are gross/plastic-y ones.

The shoes idea is really good, I'll have to try it. Also, the laundry basket one is very helpful, thanks!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk