How realistic is it to be a fashion model at 5'7?

I dont think it would be really realistic at that height. It would work if you are very lucky or a Cara type (aka joke) who's family fame or anything can make it possible but otherwise even with a pretty face, theres always better with all the competition around . But thats a guess i dont have any example of models who made it below 5'8 in the HF

I dont think it would be really realistic at that height. It would work if you are very lucky or a Cara type (aka joke) who's family fame or anything can make it possible but otherwise even with a pretty face, theres always better with all the competition around . But thats a guess i dont have any example of models who made it below 5'8 in the HF
Sasha Pivovarova. In an interview she says she's 5'7 but doesn't have issues finding work. But unless you have a face THAT striking and are more than comfortable in front of a camera, you won't find work except for Instagram girls.

Reactions: 1 users
Sasha Pivovarova. In an interview she says she's 5'7 but doesn't have issues finding work. But unless you have a face THAT striking and are more than comfortable in front of a camera, you won't find work except for Instagram girls.
Oh i didnt knew that ..i know shes on the shorter side but never thought 5'7. Thank you :grin:

Do you have a link to this by any chance? Thought we established earlier in this thread Sasha wasn't short but if she's stated it herself I'm curious to see the interview or read it

Do you have a link to this by any chance? Thought we established earlier in this thread Sasha wasn't short but if she's stated it herself I'm curious to see the interview or read it

@skinnieminnie I should have cited it before, but it's right here!

Interviewer: "What do you like most, and least, about yourself?"
SP: "I'm a bit short for model, 1.78m, but it's never been a real problem. I like my eyes."

I had asked my friend that was with me how tall that was, but I double checked online and it's 5'8!

Okay update because I'm wickedly confused: my whole conversion methods must be really different because other places I'm reading 5'10? And wouldn't she still be considered fairly tall then?

I googled 1.78m in height and inches and the first result was 5'8, but there a few scattered links below that say 5'10 now? Can someone help me out? I also compared her to when she stands next to Gemma who is 5'10 and she's definitely shorter, but I don't want to be blabbing if the measuring tool wasn't accurate!

I googled 1.78m in height and inches and the first result was 5'8, but there a few scattered links below that say 5'10 now? Can someone help me out? I also compared her to when she stands next to Gemma who is 5'10 and she's definitely shorter, but I don't want to be blabbing if the measuring tool wasn't accurate!
I think she is around 172~175 max but thats just a guess and yeah when you google 178 in inches it gives 5'8 and then when you google 5'8 in cm it gives like 173 something?

I think she is around 172~175 max but thats just a guess and yeah when you google 178 in inches it gives 5'8 and then when you google 5'8 in cm it gives like 173 something?
It would surprise me that if she actually is 5'10 like the measurement told me, why she would then say she's not tall for a model. It didn't add up.

SP: "I'm a bit short for model, 1.78m, but it's never been a real problem. I like my eyes."

I had asked my friend that was with me how tall that was, but I double checked online and it's 5'8!

Okay update because I'm wickedly confused: my whole conversion methods must be really different because other places I'm reading 5'10? And wouldn't she still be considered fairly tall then?

Thank you for the link!! I was just interested because there was a conversation about it a few pages back! I don't know anything about conversions embarrassingly so I can't help figure it out - if her stats are listed on her thread I would trust that height is correct as SG has low tolerance for incorrect measurements (especially for someone like Sasha!)

Not sure about the interview bit, but 1.78m is not 5'8". If you convert it on google it'll say 5.8399 feet or whatever but that's not 5'8" because the decimal system is base ten whereas there are 12 inches in a foot for whatever reason. So 1.78m is a little over 5'10". IMG says she's 5'9", and they definitely wouldn't advertise her height as lower than what it really is, and her thread says 5'8.5". So I'm gonna guess that 5'8.5" is right because it is a bit short for a model and is just a little lower than what her agency says.

Reactions: 4 users
2.54 cm = 1 inch
So if she is 1.78m as she states, that puts her just barely above 5'10 inches. My assumption is that she's exaggerating a little bit, but either way she's still way taller than 5'6-7" as was previously (falsely) asserted.

Why are we still discussing this though? I thought we already concluded that 5'7" = high fashion NO, commercial possibly.

Reactions: 4 users
The industry generally allows one misgiving if you're otherwise ideal and it's not too much of a major thing. Like if you're remarkable tall and thin, but your face is plain or average, you still have a shot of doing well. Or if you're an inch or two under the required height, you could still have a career if your face is exceptional and you're super skinny. So there is always the possibility, it just depends on whether your other assets compensate enough to forgive what you lack

Don't forget: if you're fat and plain but come from a famous family, then you can also model. (Eg. Kendall Jenner, Cara, Gigi).

Reactions: 2 users
I absolutely agree that it's not very realistic to be a model at 5'7.

But I still disagree with most of you girls on this one.
Is being a model your biggest dream? Would you do everything to become a model? Would you rather be a commercial catalog model than no model?
If your answer to all of these questions is yes, go ahead and try it. Be prepared to get rejected, but try it nevertheless.
There's nothing worse than a dream you haven't even tried to make reality.

(That being said, don't let this get in the way of another more promising career. When in doubt, choose excellence over mediocrity.)

The only thing worse than not chasing your dream is chasing after a completely unattainable dream in the deluded hope that one day, you'll make it.

The only thing worse than not chasing your dream is chasing after a completely unattainable dream in the deluded hope that one day, you'll make it.
Exacly! Furthermore, there are many other ways to work in the fashion industry if you don't have what it takes to be a model. :naughty:

Anja Konstantinova, Zippora Seven, Amanda Norgaard, Devon Aoki, Camille Rowe, Charlotte Free, Laetitia Casta, Bambi Northwood-Blythe, Audrey Marnay, Camille Rowe... Certainly not saying it's ideal, and yes, most of these girls resort to commercial work after a few seasons on HF, but there are plenty of examples of successful models under 5'8" (under 5' 7" even). Especially in this day and age where unique traits are being lorded by the industry more and more, particularly in reference to print modelling, it's really not such a great deal-breaker any more so long as you have the face and body for it.

Reactions: 1 users
To elaborate a bit further - I don't really know why I'm pushing this point, Devil's advocate I guess - between the IMG London new faces and mainboard page, there are a surprisingly large number of girls listed as under 5'8" (13 on the main board alone), and at least 30 that hit JUST on 5'8" who I wouldn't be surprised to find are actually below - I can assure you the large majority of them are done growing. However, they all look fantastic so therefore can compensate for what they lack in height. Egs below..

And that's just one agency (one that doesn't have to worry about resorting to hiring short girls to fill their books)

0b9f0ff3-ee41-4735-8b4b-788573e593af_thumb.jpg
2be0a435-e8af-4d24-aab9-873c76a77d8b_thumb.jpg
3a9cac68-3d82-471e-8b6a-43774942c4e3_thumb.jpg
6ecf8bb1-bc1d-4a84-93aa-8476943f6359_thumb.jpg
09d1a18d-fe09-49e1-9581-dab21ff7afb8_thumb.jpg
45bf5305-be00-4a68-bb86-5862b3f069c6_thumb.jpg
77d92998-97ae-4b8e-bc1e-3ecd1440a6f4_thumb.jpg
3956a13b-4178-4314-a654-f45d9b35cc98_thumb.jpg
04221cf7-7e82-465e-a4da-cc2178c36613_thumb.jpg
dff11325-ecf0-4405-994d-41e78c2bcfb8_thumb.jpg

Reactions: 3 users