How do I improve my style?

O

Olivia

Basically I want to improve my style. I have always been very interested in clothes but find it hard to put oufits together and wear the clothes I want to. So I was wondering if someone could create a list of some basics that I should have. You know the must haves. Also I would appreciate any tips on how to dress and accessorise. Thank you :) x

I agree, I think first you need to decide what kind of dresser you are
Also, go to your closet, pick out 5 things you wear the most - that you would wear almost every day, if you could - and build upon that
Go shopping & buy the staple kind of pieces you can wear with everything.
The generic ballerina flat, the skinny jeans, the top that can go with any kind of pants and the bag that would compliment anything , if you don't have them already :)
And I think organising your closet, giving away stuff you don't wear anymore would really help before a shopping trip!
Enjoy ;)

Quality instead of quantity! Don't buy lots of cheap stuff that doesn't fit you perfectly (after it was in the washing machine one time), it is way better to spend some money on high quality basics.

You might also like this link:

http://www.thechicfashionista.com/fashion-tips.html

Btw i think you can get lots of great ideas from fashion mags but it is most important to develop your personal style :).

Bookmarking this thread - I have NO sense of style but I think that's got to change!

Also, get a fashion icon! Someone who's style you love. It can be a celebrity, a friend, an Old Hollywood starlet, a model, a blogger...
You can get a lot of inspiration there.
Also, try to find out which body shape are you (apple, pear, hourglass or banana) and accentuate your best features and hide your flaws. For example, a pear would want to flatter her slim torso but flatter her big hips and thighs.

I have a lot of clothes that are black or neutral/earth tone colours that I can wear together and it'll always be a good match. But that's also because I've never liked wearing colours. My friends used to tease me and say that I looked goth, just because I'd wear a pair of black skinny jeans with a black polo neck sweater, which is not the case at all. I like to think that my style resembles what models wear :p so I usually keep it very simple. As we say, less is more!! Although some people swear by their accessories, and that's what make their style unique, so I guess you have to find what works for you.

These are examples from the "model street style" thread, to show you what I mean :) Things that I would definitely wear.
n2.jpg

lily-aldridge.jpg

street9.jpg

I have a lot of clothes that are black or neutral/earth tone colours that I can wear together and it'll always be a good match. But that's also because I've never liked wearing colours. My friends used to tease me and say that I looked goth, just because I'd wear a pair of black skinny jeans with a black polo neck sweater, which is not the case at all. I like to think that my style resembles what models wear :p so I usually keep it very simple. As we say, less is more!! Although some people swear by their accessories, and that's what make their style unique, so I guess you have to find what works for you.

These are examples from the "model street style" thread, to show you what I mean :) Things that I would definitely wear.
n2.jpg

lily-aldridge.jpg

street9.jpg

I love model style too! So I try to keep it fairly simple I think I will try to gain inspiration from some of their looks :) Thanks

:p

Idk if this will help but if I ever need some inspiration I go to this model street style tumblr for a little inspiration it's called modelsandstreetstyles.