Holy Grail Bags/I want a Chanel mini

Anna

Rookie
Jan 27, 2012
Share the bags you love or would love to have!

Currently, I am obsessed with owning a red caviar Chanel mini or WOC (wallet on a chain). I'm really more of an understated bag (think Celine clutches) person and don't like Gucci/LV/Burberry bags or even the Chanel GST. I don't even like red. But since I saw Alexa Chung:
alexa-chung-chanel-thumb-435x346-120131.jpg

look-of-the-day-alexa-chung-in-isabel-marant.jpg

I decided I wanted a little red Chanel to wear cross-body. And caviar was more appealing than lambskin (has more character IMO) but after looking around I'm not sure whether I want a mini or a WOC. Either is fine I guess? Anyway it's ridiculous because both are tiny (I like carrying my water bottle) although I'm petite so I don't think it'll look dumb, only I could get a way bigger Balenciaga or Celine at that price.

Read Status Anxiety, Alain de Botton. With any luck, it'll make you realise the irony that you are asking a forum for approval ("either is fine?") to drop a small fortune on something everybody else has, when if you genuinely loved it, you would not care what people thought. Even if you don't realise it, you want it because of what it represents. The reason every girl with a sideshow fashion gig carries one is because Chanel gives them away as a marketing scheme, so that girls like you will be sucked in, instead of spending your hard earned money culturing a distinct identity based on class and subtlety.

There's nothing more elegant than having a taste so refined that you resist trends and establish a style. Don't buy it (or at least for goodness' sake, not red for an heirloom piece). Think about the marketing: Silly Kardashians carry a Speedy and it's reported in Ok!, so Ok! readers imitate, now that their idol has approved it. Chanel flatters its clients by using Diane Kruger and Elisa Sednaoui, then you read it in Vogue. Different, yet exactly the same. A 2.55 is no different than a Speedy, so the reasons you think your taste is too refined for LV/ Gucci/ even the GST still apply here.

It's about the bag, not the brand. But your attachment to branding seems ingrained, so if my real reasoning doesn't convince you, consider this: most people will think it's fake because the girl at the bus stop bought a mass-produced one made in Taiwan for $20 at Topshop.

If you insist on a status symbol to carry your wallet around in, a Tod's D-bag would be more appreciated by those in the know. But those women can be dragons, so I'd give the whole thing a miss and buy a diamond.

Reactions: 1 users
it'll make you realise the irony that you are asking a forum for approval ("either is fine?") to drop a small fortune on something everybody else has, when if you genuinely loved it, you would not care what people thought.
My intention in making this thread wasn't to have people tell me they love it and love my style and approve of me. It was to start a fun (rather shallow) chit-chat on bags with people who want to talk about bags :p also the "either is fine" was since I'm indecisive about which one I prefer.
Now I think maybe this wasn't the right place to have posted what I did... so I'll keep it in mind for next time.

Even if you don't realise it, you want it because of what it represents.
Well since you claim I don't realize it... I don't know what to say. Maybe I don't realize it. Maybe I want a bag to impress people. But "'that which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" comes to mind (Hitchens). I don't think there's actual evidence that I want this bag or any bag to impress people, since that's definitely not how I feel.

There's nothing more elegant than having a taste so refined that you resist trends and establish a style. Don't buy it (or at least for goodness' sake, not red for an heirloom piece).
Eh... I don't know. I'm not a very trendy person, at least comparing myself to people I know. I'm not a fan of fast fashion and own things for a long time, which might be why. In saying that I don't see myself as being "above" all the hype with trends. Trends keep the world (fashion and otherwise) moving. I don't think you should have to "resist trends" but I think it's more about making trends fit your style and not blindly obsessing over all of it. Not entirely relevant, but I will add that although I think some bags look elegant, I don't buy a bag with hopes to transform into an elegant person :grin: if I didn't think that already, I think seeing the Ecclestone sisters would make me believe that anyway. As for the "don't buy it" well I guess that's your opinion.

Think about the marketing: Silly Kardashians carry a Speedy and it's reported in Ok!, so Ok! readers imitate, now that their idol has approved it. Chanel flatters its clients by using Diane Kruger and Elisa Sednaoui, then you read it in Vogue. Different, yet exactly the same. A 2.55 is no different than a Speedy, so the reasons you think your taste is too refined for LV/ Gucci/ even the GST still apply here.
Honestly, I don't care what bags the Kardashians carry. Kim Kardashian has a lot of Birkins and although I do think some of what has made it such a coveted bag is partly because it has become an "it" bag through all the celebrities loving it, it's not like Hermes lovers are Hermes lovers because they want to copy celebrities. In addition, I don't have the opinion that my style is too refined for a Speedy or any other LV. I am not a fan of monogram bags (generally what I see from LV) which is just my personal preference.

It's about the bag, not the brand. But your attachment to branding seems ingrained
I agree with your point that "it's about the bag, not the brand". I'm not sure why you assume that I'm fiercely attached to branding? Maybe my post came off as that way to you but no. There is no designer whom I like everything by and honestly, I wouldn't just like it (or pretend I did) because it was by them.

so if my real reasoning doesn't convince you, consider this: most people will think it's fake because the girl at the bus stop bought a mass-produced one made in Taiwan for $20 at Topshop.
But... "if you genuinely loved it, you would not care what people thought"?

If you insist on a status symbol to carry your wallet around in, a Tod's D-bag would be more appreciated by those in the know. But those women can be dragons, so I'd give the whole thing a miss and buy a diamond.
I don't "insist on a status symbol" :) I'm not familiar with Tod's so I won't comment on that. Plus, I wouldn't get a bag to impress the fashion crowd. Anyway, it's not like there is one item which is universally adored by everyone with style/knows about designesr? And um... buying a diamond seems... irrelevant?

Also, I'm using the "sorry if anything is incoherent I'm sleep deprived" excuse :grin: because I skipped a night's sleep to write an essay (which is due in a week...)

Reactions: 1 users
426px-Marie_Antoinette_Adult41.jpg

I really want this elegant Chanel bag but of course it's a couple thousands dollars which I cannot afford.

So I'm just going to settle for now and buy a black quilted brand of a less expensive brand. I know Guess has a bag similar to the quilting and I also found another brand with an extreme similar bag, it's not a knock off, it's some wholesale thing or whatever.

Btw I love the red Chanel bag! It just pops in colour.

Share the bags you love or would love to have!

Currently, I am obsessed with owning a red caviar Chanel mini or WOC (wallet on a chain).

omg. This is my dream bag, and has been since I was 16. Except I want a jumbo caviar. When I'm rich, this will be one of the first things I buy for myself.

I want mine in soft ivory lambskin... Mmm.

426px-Marie_Antoinette_Adult41.jpg

I really want this elegant Chanel bag but of course it's a couple thousands dollars which I cannot afford.

So I'm just going to settle for now and buy a black quilted brand of a less expensive brand. I know Guess has a bag similar to the quilting and I also found another brand with an extreme similar bag, it's not a knock off, it's some wholesale thing or whatever.

Btw I love the red Chanel bag! It just pops in colour.
Good quality quilted bags go with everything! It's good you have your priorities straight haha I know of girls who are a victim of their purchases and spend too much on bags considering what they actually earn. I hope you enjoy your bag :) and yeah I love the red... even though I don't like/have red anything else (I've never even worn red lipstick)

omg. This is my dream bag, and has been since I was 16. Except I want a jumbo caviar. When I'm rich, this will be one of the first things I buy for myself.

I want mine in soft ivory lambskin... Mmm.
Oh it's the best dream bag ;) my mum has been contemplating getting one for years (still looking forward to "borrowing" it indefinitely haha) but every year she decides on something more "practical". She would never get red though haha and I think she'd get a Reissue 2.55.

Lambskin is so soft and luxurious :luv: it's so classy. But I think I'm too clumsy for it :p

Oh my goodness, we were out with family friends for dinner once, and at a nearby table there was this gorgeous skinny girl, maybe about 25, just in skinny jeans and a button up shirt with a red jumbo and omg she was so stunning and totally my girl crush of the day haha.

I would love to own one. but chanel prices are raising like crazy so I can only dream :nopity:

I was never that into Chanel (I mean I'll take a free one if you want to give it me...) but I go crazy for Chloe. Love the Alice for a sexy Dr. vibe:

alice__le_nouveau_sac_chlo___4526_north_382x.jpg

And the Marcie for everyday:

Prada Saffiano Lux Pyramid Tote Bag

It is $3000. sigh.

Prada-Saffiano-Lux-Pyramid-Tote-Bag.jpg

I love my Chanel mini. It's not an everyday bag because it's tiny (so tiny I can't fit my long Prada wallet in), so I end up with loose cards and cash in it until I find the right mini wallet - thinking either Tory Burch or McQueen.

Although I only own designer/luxury bags, I don't have very many and they've all seen years of use. And I use the everloving shit out of my bags and purses. I believe in quality, not quantity. My $1500 LV Verona PM still looks the same as I got it in 2010, and it goes with all my outfits. I have an LV Palermo PM since 2011 and it holds up really well considering I use it for travel and I stuff an unholy amount into it - laptop, notes, schedule book, shawl etc. My pochette accesoires is my oldest luxury purchase, bought in 2007 while in college, on my waitressing salary, and I still use it today. I can count the number of bags/SLG I bought/received since 2007 within my 10 fingers, and I think the total cost is less than if I had only bought a mountain of cheap, mass-produced bags that last for a few months before the straps break, the fake leather peels and scratches and the hardware gets tarnished.

And I agree with whoever says that you should have your own style and not fall prey to trends. For example, unless your style is wacky and zany and will be wacky and zany 20 years later, don't get the hula-hoop Chanel just because it's trending right now. Then again, don't get a Chanel flap or reissue just because it's "timeless" and "safe" if you don't like it - get something you LOVE and you know you will wear as a (stylish) 50-year-old.

@Anna thats such a cute bag :kiss:

I'm not much of a bag person myself, although I'm trying to train myself (I always buy clothes and forget about the accessories!) so I've been educating myself. After creeping through net-a-porter, I have a few that caught my eye!

(I'm going to be annoying and post links instead of pictures... sorry!)

http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/332146
Marc Jacobs clutch, I think the colours are so awesome, wouldn't it look great with a LBD? :luv:

http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/369169
Sophie Hulme floral shoulder bag, because I'm a sucker for floral prints :oops:

http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/374848
Saint Laurent shoulder bag, its so simple and elegant, just perfect.

and just for fun...

http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/379826
:grin:

and now I'm sad because I can barely even afford a satchel from topshop let alone these beautiful designer things :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I looooove michael kors bags and more specifically:
michael-kors-bag.png

But lately I've been obsessing with these celine bags... they are seriously perfect :luv:
0212-it-bag-of-fashion-week-celine-luggage-tote-fa.jpg

I'll get one good bag once I've finished university and actually get money of my own :p So I'll think about what colour I'll get when the time comes because it comes out in SO many colours and combinations...!

I'm just starting to save up money for my absolute dream bag. I'm a quality over quantity person anyway, but I don't own some real expensive bags - just good quality ones. When I think about it, I regret buying the ones I have, instead I could have saved my money already. I'd pass on every other bags just to get Willow

mulb_2532172a.jpg

I love love bags but only own a few. Damn it they're so expensive. Even a basic bag from Zara is expensive for the quality you get.

Anyways a little tip...designer bag quality have actually gotten worse and prices have been increasing a lot.
Find out where the bags are made. Secondly buy a bag that you really love. If you're spending a lot then you might as well get a bag that you adore. When buying designer bags, if they're sold out (e.g. Chanel/Hermes) don't settle for the next bag (different colour/material/size). Wait, go and get the bag that you want. If you're going to get a designer bag, get it from Harrods/Saks/Harvey Nichols etc, the quality is actually better than the ones from the boutiques (definitely for the Chanel and Prada bags).

I can't decide whether to get a Chanel Jumbo black or another Chanel medium flap (beige). I love the medium but as mentioned earlier I don't use mine that often because it's so small and can't even fit my wallet in whereas the jumbo is a more practical choice but I don't love it as much as the medium. But it's growing on me, before I hated that size.
Oh and I love the Celine bags but they're quite heavy. :(

Reactions: 1 user
Even though they are becoming a little overrated, I still helplessly want a Celine :( they're the ultimate massive bag, and at this point, seem like they have become a classic
tumblr_mah62cbHj91qhlgbio1_500.jpg

My latest HG bag is the YSL Sac De Jour in navy. Will be selling some nice Prada and Vuitton to get it (plus snuffling around for a decent price), but it'll be worth it! Freja as the model just adds to my lust.

45204620ig_13_f.jpg
2663_1_BIG_45204620.gif

I love love bags but only own a few. Damn it they're so expensive. Even a basic bag from Zara is expensive for the quality you get.

Anyways a little tip...designer bag quality have actually gotten worse and prices have been increasing a lot.
Find out where the bags are made. Secondly buy a bag that you really love. If you're spending a lot then you might as well get a bag that you adore. When buying designer bags, if they're sold out (e.g. Chanel/Hermes) don't settle for the next bag (different colour/material/size). Wait, go and get the bag that you want. If you're going to get a designer bag, get it from Harrods/Saks/Harvey Nichols etc, the quality is actually better than the ones from the boutiques (definitely for the Chanel and Prada bags).

I can't decide whether to get a Chanel Jumbo black or another Chanel medium flap (beige). I love the medium but as mentioned earlier I don't use mine that often because it's so small and can't even fit my wallet in whereas the jumbo is a more practical choice but I don't love it as much as the medium. But it's growing on me, before I hated that size.
Oh and I love the Celine bags but they're quite heavy. :(
You must have an amazing bag collection. :luv:
Also, do you know why the bags from Harrods/etc are supposedly better quality than the ones from boutiques? I don't think I've ever picked up on that.