High quality but affordable basics-where to buy?

Hi ladies,
Haven't seen a similar thread, feel free to chastise me if there is one, etc.

I am currently looking to revamp and downsize my wardrobe, rebuild it with timeless classic pieces, then add on some beautiful designer pieces as time goes on.

I have been having trouble finding truly high quality items that aren't ridiculously overpriced though. And the ever overturning fads and quick, disposable fashion trends really aren't my style. I would rather own simple, timeless pieces that I wear for years to come.

Uniqlo seems to have the concept I am looking for but their quality is dreadful. Same goes for most other stores.

Wondering where you ladies get your basics from: the plain but well-fitting tops, simple trousers, tee shirts, cardigans, cashmere sweaters, scarves, etc,etc. Even underwear and intimates.

I realize that peoples' ideas of "affordable" differs, but hopefully we can get lots of input from members with varied budgets in order to be helpful to everyone on these forums!

Reactions: 1 users
Thrift shopping is my best friend. Obviously it can be very hit or miss, but I've found many designer pieces at very low prices. I get the majority of my plain T-shirts from Brandy Melville. Almost all of my underwear is Hanky Panky, which is $20-$23 for a thong, which some people find stupid but they are the most comfortable things on the entire planet.

Hope this helps!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
I hope some of the vips can reply to this. I see pictures of models going to castings and I always wonder where their clothes are from. I can never find super fitted basic good quality clothes. :cry:

Reactions: 2 users
As you mentioned, Uniqlo is very hit-or-miss for me. I love their knitwear, but their t-shirts and tank tops are so thin almost to the point of being see-through! Madewell is good for top quality basics that you plan to get a lot of wear out of, but they are quite a bit pricier. I get a lot of staple t-shirts, chinos etc from the Gap, and I love their sales, but their sizing can be huge!

Typically I buy most of my clothes second-hand or thrifted, usually at designer resale stores (Crossroads is great, if they have those where you are). Often I pick up pieces that are still new with tags, or left over samples (great if you have trouble finding smaller sizes in other stores), so you can get brand new high quality stuff for typical high street prices, especially when it comes to wardrobe staples. Just like with normal thrift stores, selection is usually best in fancier areas.

I go to outlets like Nordstrom Rack, TJ Maxx for my underwear needs - I am a Calvin Klein bra addict, but I hate to pay full price. Also, the outlets tend to have the less common smaller band sizes.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard good things about Everlane!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Thrift shopping is my best friend. Obviously it can be very hit or miss, but I've found many designer pieces at very low prices. I get the majority of my plain T-shirts from Brandy Melville. Almost all of my underwear is Hanky Panky, which is $20-$23 for a thong, which some people find stupid but they are the most comfortable things on the entire planet.

Hope this helps!

I've also found some amazing stuff in second hand clothing stores - it takes a bit of effort and commitment to find good items and can be frustrating to sift through all the crap, but it's one area where being skinny is a huge advantage because sometimes people donate clothes they bought thinking they would slim down enough to wear them.

I don't do second hand shops anymore because I moved somewhere which doesn't have any good ones so now I buy a lot of stuff from Ebay. I weirdly found it was a great place to get Isabella Oliver maternity clothes recently; as there's a finite amount of time that people wear these things for, there's a lot of great items for sale which were only worn once or twice.

Last edited:
  • Useful
For me, buying white and black tees, makes most sense in either Zara og H&M. The quality is not TOP, but I like to buy new, especially white, tees after maybe 1 year (because of stains, washing, yellow marks etc.)
I find my jeans in Levi's, Lee, Wrangler or similar. Here, thrift shopping is great, if you have any good shops in your area.

Love love Everlane! Also American Apparel sometimes has fantastic basics -- they're shutting down US stores so everything's on sale right now, too.

I hope some of the vips can reply to this. I see pictures of models going to castings and I always wonder where their clothes are from. I can never find super fitted basic good quality clothes. :cry:

models get most of their clothes directly from the brands they work for (catwalk, etc) that's mostly how they get paid

I remember myself wondering (long time ago) how come all of them with all these expensive designer bags :lol:

Last edited:
Anyway, for good basics I recommend COS (that's where all my basic wool turtlenecks are from)

some time ago, all of their basics were good quality but nowadays you gotta have an eye of everything and touch to see how good it actually is. Some things are worth it, some are absolutely not

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
For me, buying white and black tees, makes most sense in either Zara og H&M. The quality is not TOP, but I like to buy new, especially white, tees after maybe 1 year (because of stains, washing, yellow marks etc.)
I find my jeans in Levi's, Lee, Wrangler or similar. Here, thrift shopping is great, if you have any good shops in your area.

I love buying tank tops at H&M! About a year ago, they were on sale for $2.90 each and I bought...about 15 of them:p. They've held up really well. Unfortunately, I usually hate the rest of their clothes.

Wow, just took a look at Everlane. This is exactly what I was looking for!! Hopefully their clothes fit well :luv:Thanks so much, everyone!

Best of luck! If you shop with them regularly, they eventually start sending you tons of promos, exclusive events (at least here in NYC), pop-up shop opportunities, etc :)

• Love
I'm a huge fan of &otherstories. It's a company of the H&M group (don't let that scare you off) and they do good quality basics. I also love their jewelry and shoes. http://www.stories.com/nl/
Also agree on COS - great quality. The fits are often quite boxy, though.