High quality but affordable basics-where to buy?

Discussion in 'Clothes' started by natashafromrussia, Mar 22, 2017.

1. matilda

matilda Rookie

Filippa K! It'a a Swedish brand and I think that's exactly what you're looking for. A little bit expensive though, but the quality is amazing!

As mentioned, I also recommend COS and other stories.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. coeurV

coeurV Rookie

Abercrombie's skinny denim and shorts (post-rebrand) are extremely underrated. It helps that they're in low demand too; after 2 or 3 rounds of price cuts, I can often pick up all the jeans and shorts I need in a year for $15-30 apiece. Their cuts and washes are tastefully done too (nothing screams tween like acid or other over-processed washes...). I'm a big stickler on rise length, and their high waist jeans actually have 10.5", 11"+ rises even at smaller sizes - quite similar to Zara jeans in that regard, but better quality. In contrast H&M HW skinnies are very affordable, but I also have to size up to US 6 on average for the rise to hit where I like it...

For 100% denim, the only affordable options are Uniqlo, Levi's, or vintage jeans from thrifting or ebay.

A few other posters mentioned Brandy, Madewell, and Gap - they make the best basic T-shirts! The latter two are especially kind to broader shoulders in terms of seam placement.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Seared Siren

Seared Siren Rookie

4. moins

moins Rising Star

• Love Love x 1
  5. thethinwristed

thethinwristed Worker Bee

I second @couerV suggestion for Gap t-shirts, they keep their shape really well.
    Tk maxx for jeans like Levis etc.
    Zara for blazers (but check you can wash them)
    Also Topshop for vests and t-shirts
    Uniqlo does a great Breton stripe top
    For shoes - Clarks do great brogues, and for ballets I like Freed and French Sole.
    For men's clothes I think Gant is great.

6. misscat

misscat Grand Dame

It's the only place I've found that makes a fitted white t-shirt that's thick enough that I don't need to wear a bra with it! (I'm guilty of not hating I'm sorry), this is the best news I've seen in a while, my turtleneck from there pre-death recently got a pen mark on it.

7. Katrine

Katrine SuperStar

Ladies! Does anyone have any experience with Levi's Line 8? I usually ear Levi's Mile High skinny jeans in black, and I need a new pair soon, and line 8 is a bit cheaper.

8. Fairina

Fairina Rookie

Has anyone tried a monthly subscription like stitch fix with good results? I'm terrible at shopping for myself I have no eye for good pieces, but I'm really wanting to improve my style. I still wear my high school clothes. Stitch fix assigns you a stylist, are they any good in your opinion?

9. scotchandrhinestones

Bumping this thread to say that Nordstrom's Zella Live-In Leggings come in a size XXS and, as I found out when my new pair arrived this morning, they are blessedly, comfortably tight on me at a 17 BMI. I'm 5'6 and the inseam is at least 2" too long for me, so moderately taller ladies may fit them perfectly.

They are also totally opaque, reversible and have a credit-card-sized waistband pocket. I wear them daily and highly recommend.

Everlane's size 0 long-sleeved silk blouses are cut for ladies with small arms! Mine are unfortunately pretty muscular and they strain the forearm seams a little. Their cashmere sweaters are accurate according to their siz3 chart.

For jeans, I use eBay. Paige Denim goes down to a non-vanity-sized size 23 and has up to 36" inseams. With patience and saved searches, I've bought a lot of NWT or NWOT pairs at 75% off store price.

10. SecretMelody17

SecretMelody17 SuperStar

I have no experience with Sitch Fix but if you live in the US I know that a lot of stores like Anthropologie and Nordstrom offer personal stylists who assist shoppers for free.

11. SecretMelody17

SecretMelody17 SuperStar

Target is great for socks and basic t-shirts, especially when on sale.