Gwen Stefani

she's definitely my "grown up" body inspiration--i don't really see it feasible for me to stay thin thin as an adult, especially after kids, given the career I want, the amount of time i'll be busy, etc. She looks really healthy, happy, and fit. Great look overall--and her skin is amazing (in person too, i've been lucky enough to catch a glimpse at whole foods a time or two)

Barring any catastrophic medical mishaps that require bedrest etc you'll probably be fine after you have kids because you're taking care of yourself now. Most of my friends who were body conscious before they had kids looked really good afterwards as well because they didn't gain a ton of weight while they were pregnant and kids are active little things. Most people I know didn't really change much from giving birth; you could have predicted the ones who were likely to stay overweight.

Gwen's always been super body conscious. I remember reading an interview with her in around 1997 where she constantly talked about needing to work out and check her diet. She's actually a lot slimmer now than she was in the 90's; one of the reasons I find her quite inspiring if I'm honest.

90s-style-icon-gwen-stefani--large-msg-139508598253.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I would like to see her experiment a bit more with her look. The platinum blonde hair with a red lip looks good, but she's had the same look for the last 15 years!

Reactions: 1 user
My friend is on The Voice and has her for a coach, she's really cool in person and seems to actually care for her team members :)

she's definitely my "grown up" body inspiration--i don't really see it feasible for me to stay thin thin as an adult, especially after kids, given the career I want, the amount of time i'll be busy, etc. She looks really healthy, happy, and fit. Great look overall--and her skin is amazing (in person too, i've been lucky enough to catch a glimpse at whole foods a time or two)

:)
Thank you for sharing.

She's incredible. Two babies, a divorce, working THAT much on music - solo and band, clothing line, tv show. I'm sure there are more I have forgotten.

Amazing skin? Great personality? Oh my she's even more sensational.

She's 46 and will look fabulous at 50. Remember Madonna at 50? Gwen will blow her out of the water.

Last edited:
:)
Thank you for sharing.

She's incredible. Two babies, a divorce, working THAT much on music - solo and band, clothing line, tv show. I'm sure there are more I have forgotten.

Amazing skin? Great personality? Oh my she's even more sensational.

She's 46 and will look fabulous at 50. Remember Madonna at 50? Gwen will blow her out of the water.

You forgot the 3rd baby;)

"I hate talking about it, but it's true. "I've always been on a diet, ever since I was in the sixth grade. It's an ongoing battle and it's a nightmare. But I like clothes too much, and I always wanted to wear the outfits I would make. And I'm very vain."
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20034601,00.html

I love that she said what most of us are thinking, and didn't sugarcoat it. It's not always easy, and no one really likes dieting, but we do it because we want to look and feel good. More people could do with admitting to a little vanity.

"I hate talking about it, but it's true. "I've always been on a diet, ever since I was in the sixth grade. It's an ongoing battle and it's a nightmare. But I like clothes too much, and I always wanted to wear the outfits I would make. And I'm very vain."
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20034601,00.html

"but I let myself cheat once or twice a day with a cookie or pizza."

When she works out that much a cookie is what? 80-150 calories. I'm sure she goes for the healthy ones too :)

I remember an interview she did where she showed the journalist her school picture and said she never wanted to get fat again. I thought it was grade 8 but I guess it was 6.

Barring any catastrophic medical mishaps that require bedrest etc you'll probably be fine after you have kids because you're taking care of yourself now. Most of my friends who were body conscious before they had kids looked really good afterwards as well because they didn't gain a ton of weight while they were pregnant and kids are active little things. Most people I know didn't really change much from giving birth; you could have predicted the ones who were likely to stay overweight.
Completely OT but I've been taking care of 3 sick, poopy, and puking cats this week (1 cat and her 2 baby kittens**), and just the sheer stress of running around making sure they are eating and don't puke on my furniture had me skipping multiple meals. I can imagine children, especially your own, being 1000x worse. If you were a good mother, you theoretically would spend extra time on taking care of yourself and not gorging on food.

**cats are not mine - they are fosters from the shelter and will be fixed once they are healthy.

Completely OT but I've been taking care of 3 sick, poopy, and puking cats this week (1 cat and her 2 baby kittens**), and just the sheer stress of running around making sure they are eating and don't puke on my furniture had me skipping multiple meals. I can imagine children, especially your own, being 1000x worse. If you were a good mother, you theoretically would spend extra time on taking care of yourself and not gorging on food.

**cats are not mine - they are fosters from the shelter and will be fixed once they are healthy.
I feel like you are always taking care of kittens :lol:

Haha, yes...looking after sick cats sounds remarkably similar to looking after young babies. Actually for the first month after my son was born I didn't get to finish a single meal because something always happened to interrupt me after the first mouthful and even now I don't really get much time to sit around because there's so much work involved in keeping him fed and washed.

Not only that, but older kids need tons of exercise as well; I actually started running regularly a few years back because my son wanted to run everywhere and it seemed like a better idea to do it with him than to relentlessly be telling him to slow down or something.

I feel like you are always taking care of kittens :lol:
Noo last time we fostered was almost a full year ago!! But I gotta admit, I still haven't met a kitten who didn't love me :luvluv: I'm just extra lucky (kidding here) that both litters are/were sick which is more lucky for them than me, since I can somewhat extrapolate what I know despite not being a vet, and monitor them closely. Oh and administering meds to kittens is a bitch. These little guys frothed and foamed for a good 20 min yesterday and left puddles of drool eeeverywhere. Whereas the mother cat just gives me evil eyes and the silent treatment. :lol:

Now back on topic... it's not really body shaming if you're talking about yourself (and it's true). Reminds me of the "if you're fat what ammmmmm I???!?!" You're fatter, obviously.