"girls".. Please tell me you agree with me

dani

Rookie
Jan 24, 2012
I can't stand that serie!! Like seriously, it makes women look so dumb... It's supposed to portrait real life.. I dont know about you, but I have never acted or seen anyone who is remotely like those girls... it's just denigrating.

Also the way they show the protagonist body... I get it, not every woman looks like a model... but that just looked disgusting.

If you haven't heard about it here's the trailer of season 1

I tried and tried to watch this but couldn't so no idea what the show is about. Just couldn't get into it. I'm still wondering what the fuss is :confused:

Oh my god @classic chic and @dani I totally agree this show sucks so much! It was touted in the uk as the new sex n the city, I got really excited, then I watched it and was massively disapointed! Its so bleugh, its neither realistic or aspirational!

Last edited by a moderator:
*cough* 13lb overweight my ass!!

This needs filing under shit-tastic average to overweight girl wants to feel normal and accepted in modern 'merica.

Oh my god @classic chic and @dani I totally agree this show sucks so much! It was touted in the uk as the new sex n the city, I got really excited, then I watched it and was massively disapointed! Its so bleugh, its neither realistic or aspirational!

It happened to me too!!! I was so excited, I've heard from many sources how good the show was (eg man repeller)... and then i hardly make it through 2 episodes

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoy because I went to school and camp with people like this.

Omg! I swear wanted to do a post about it a few days ago after watching last episode..
Everything about this serie is :disgusted:
- the utter Stupidity of each main caracters (who show Zero intelligence, class or self respect and are supposed to be representative of the lambda Nyc girl..?!)
- the lack of plot
- The way they purposly dress the "main girl" fat body in the most tight and unfitted clothes! (the fat acceptance in this girl is Too Damn High.. )
We get it, she's "Fat and Proud" :nopity: ...they need to stop showing us all her fat rolls in every possible way..

Reactions: 1 user
Omg! I swear wanted to do a post about it a few days ago after watching last episode..
Everything about this serie is :disgusted:
- the utter Stupidity of each main caracters (who show Zero intelligence, class or self respect and are supposed to be representative of the lambda Nyc girl..?!)
- the lack of plot
- The way they purposly dress the "main girl" fat body in the most tight and unfitted clothes! (the fat acceptance in this girl is Too Damn High.. )
We get it, she's "Fat and Proud" :nopity: ...they need to stop showing us all her fat rolls in every possible way..

You have spoken for me :highfive:

what bothers me the most is the lack of self respect on those girls!!! It gives a bad image of our gender

Never watched it... but I know for sure it will never be the new SATC. Simple because all (fabulous) women in SATC are women we aspire to be, not woman that are supposedly just as normal as we are.

Never watched it... but I know for sure it will never be the new SATC. Simple because all (fabulous) women in SATC are women we aspire to be, not woman that are supposedly just as normal as we are.

Trust me, you dont want to be like any of the characters in Girls :nervous:

I have mixed feelings about Girls. On one hand I like it because it does depict (somewhat realistically) the challenges that many people in the generation born between, I don't know, 1984- 199? faces. Hannah's problem in Season 1 with making her internship transition into a job; the difficulty of letting go of a "serious" college relationship; maintaining friendships as you get older; living on a much smaller salary than you have grown accustomed to; avoiding making crap decisions that work in the moment; etc., etc., etc...

On the other hand, I dislike the show because the characters don't seem to be able to rise above their challenges in any meaningful, let alone inspirational, way; it seems like "stagnation" is one of the show's biggest themes. For example, Hannah leaves one relationship that doesn't satisfy her for another without learning anything about what really makes her happy or what she wants in a partner. This is crappy writing (remember all that stuff from English class about compelling characters being those that grown and change?) but also presents an uninspiring message to an already uninspired generation. Sometimes the show documents mediocracy in a way that seems to glorify it. The show similarly documents/ glorifies Hannah's fear of expressing any meaningful, lasting agency in her own life- almost to the extent that I would call Hannah an anti-feminist character.

People can and do talk smack about SITH but at least we all wanted something that those girls had- Miranda's job, Charlotte's polish, Samantha's sex, and/or Carrie's shoes. In Girls there's just nothing to aspire to.

I have mixed feelings about Girls. On one hand I like it because it does depict (somewhat realistically) the challenges that many people in the generation born between, I don't know, 1984- 199? faces. Hannah's problem in Season 1 with making her internship transition into a job; the difficulty of letting go of a "serious" college relationship; maintaining friendships as you get older; living on a much smaller salary than you have grown accustomed to; avoiding making crap decisions that work in the moment; etc., etc., etc...

On the other hand, I dislike the show because the characters don't seem to be able to rise above their challenges in any meaningful, let alone inspirational, way; it seems like "stagnation" is one of the show's biggest themes. For example, Hannah leaves one relationship that doesn't satisfy her for another without learning anything about what really makes her happy or what she wants in a partner. This is crappy writing (remember all that stuff from English class about compelling characters being those that grown and change?) but also presents an uninspiring message to an already uninspired generation. Sometimes the show documents mediocracy in a way that seems to glorify it. The show similarly documents/ glorifies Hannah's fear of expressing any meaningful, lasting agency in her own life- almost to the extent that I would call Hannah an anti-feminist character.

People can and do talk smack about SITH but at least we all wanted something that those girls had- Miranda's job, Charlotte's polish, Samantha's sex, and/or Carrie's shoes. In Girls there's just nothing to aspire to.

...word.

I would have to classify myself as "mixed feelings" too. It really varies from episode to episode, but I tend to like the storylines that aren't too Hannah-heavy. I think Lena "lost" most of her viewers with "One Man's Trash." Too much Hannah. In so many ways.

Also, for those of you who are regular viewers (notice I didn't say "fans" ;)), who are your favorite characters? I like Shoshanna and Jessa for entertainment reasons, and I hate to admit that I'm fascinated by the Marnie story lines, but I am. I'll pretend it's not for totally shallow reasons.

I don't like lena dunham face and attitude so I haven't bothered to watch it.. plus it seemed that the story line is quite lame too.. def not my cup of tea

I do like some aspects of the show and like you said, there were a couple things that resonated with me as well, i.e. maintaining friendships as you get older, etc.

The last episode I watched, which was "Hannah-heavy" was the one where she spent the entire time at a Doctor's house. I actually thought it was a really well done episode and helped explain her, I guess motivations, a little more clearly.

I love Shoshanna's and Jessa's characters the best, they seem like polar opposites and say some/do some of the weirdest shit which makes me laugh. Sometimes I wish I could be more like Jessa and just do and say whatever the fuck I felt like at any given second. I both hate and admire people who can do that, for various reasons.

The one thing that completely bugs me, which has been said before, is they way they style Hannah ... I mean, sweet lord, get her to wear clothes that fit properly! :superpuke:

Oh thank GOD! I thought I was the only one. Everyone I know rants and raves about this show, I watched a few episodes and maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance but I thought it was entirely meh.

Also, it's incredibly shallow and certainly not my main reason for not enjoying the show, but if I'm going to watch a fictitious program on TV, I prefer to watch one where the main characters are actually aesthetically pleasing.

i have watched it all and i enjoy it on a surface level, but oh my jesus christ i could not dislike lena dunhams character any more. if she were someone i knew i would spend my life calling her up on her shit.

I haven't seen the show but I just stumbled across an exceptionally stupid quote by Miss Dunham on how she doesn't want to look like a VS Model. Because obviously she feels good looking like this:

L-Dunham-03142013-1.jpg

:wtf:

More on skinnyvscurvy: http://www.skinnyvscurvy.com/lena-dunham/lena-dunham-model-look-it-big-burden-public.html

I haven't seen the show but I just stumbled across an exceptionally stupid quote by Miss Dunham on how she doesn't want to look like a VS Model. Because obviously she feels good looking like this:

L-Dunham-03142013-1.jpg

:wtf:

More on skinnyvscurvy: http://www.skinnyvscurvy.com/lena-dunham/lena-dunham-model-look-it-big-burden-public.html

ahaha i read that too and laughed so much!
I haven't seen this show but it reminds me of a conversation I had regarding watchine soaps such as Coronation street..
me: 'why would you want to watch ugly people on the telly?'
friend: 'maybe we can relate to them more'

:confused: give me aspiration and escapism any day!!!