"girls".. Please tell me you agree with me

@Liz, I agree that it is stupid, but more than that it is sad and a horrible reflection of the sort of culture we live in when a self-professed 'feminist' says something like this: "Not being the babest person in the world creates a nice barrier." Um, first of all, I don't believe that, I think its just too hard for her to lose the weight/she is addicted to junk food or whatever and this is a handy excuse, but nonetheless, why hasn't saying something like that created an uproar? What sort of a sick society is this where a woman may feel that she needs a 'barrier' in the form of FAT (or ugliness, or whatever) to deflect unwanted attention/creepers/other potentially scary things? I find it despicable that we live in such a world honestly and yet people harp on about how feminism is dead and equality has already been achieved there is nothing left to do yada yada :wtf:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Liz, I agree that it is stupid, but more than that it is sad and a horrible reflection of the sort of culture we live in when a self-professed 'feminist' says something like this: "Not being the babest person in the world creates a nice barrier." Um, first of all, I don't believe that, I think its just too hard for her to lose the weight/she is addicted to junk food or whatever and this is a handy excuse, but nonetheless, why hasn't saying something like that created an uproar? What sort of a sick society is this where a woman may feel that she needs a 'barrier' in the form of FAT (or ugliness, or whatever) to deflect unwanted attention/creepers/other potentially scary things? I find it despicable that we live in such a world honestly and yet people harp on about how feminism is dead and equality has already been achieved there is nothing left to do yada yada :wtf:

I think the reason why there hasn't been an uproar is this: LD isn't some kind of icon of feminism, she doesn't stand up for female rights or anything, she is just a fat chick defending her fat acceptance via television (and gets applaused for that by fellow fatties).

I agree that it is a sick society where women have to blemish themselves in order to protect themselves (isn't that where these ear tunnels originate from?), I just don't think that this is what LD talks about. VS Models don't live in that average world where the office assistant has to endure sexual harrassement by a co-worker. Models work with their bodies so of course they are subject of discussion, but that doesn't automatically mean that people only talk to them "because of their big rack".

I hope I'm expressing what I want to say here, sometimes I'm struggling to explain my thoughts clearly in English. :shy:

At least there's one thing we can be sure of: no one talks to Lena Dunham because of her being uber-attractive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the reason why there hasn't been an uproar is this: LD isn't some kind of icon of feminism, she doesn't stand up for female rights or anything, she is just a fat chick defending her fat acceptance via television (and gets applaused for that by fellow fatties).

I agree that it is a sick society where women have to blemish themselves in order to protect themselves (isn't that where these ear tunnels originate from?), I just don't think that this is what LD talks about. VS Models don't live in that average world where the office assistant has to endure sexual harrassement by a co-worker. Models work with their bodies so of course they are subject of discussion, but that doesn't automatically mean that people only talk to them "because of their big rack".

I hope I'm expressing what I want to say here, sometimes I'm struggling to explain my thoughts clearly in English. :shy:

At least there's one thing we can be sure of: no one talks to Lena Dunham because of her being uber-attractive.

Thats true, she is no feminist icon by a long shot, perhaps I was just overreacting. And of course its true that a model's body being a subject of discussion (thats her job description) is not the same as an office worker's. Eh...it all just upsets me.

I like the line "So you're 11 lbs overweight and you think you know struggle?"

Maybe that makes me a bitch but whatever.

Also I'm never going to watch this show. It looks like dumb hipster nonsense that appeals to one white, rich, privileged demographic as per usual. Plus, I can't with Lena i-don't-know-how-write-black-people Dunham.