I am sorry, I didn’t want to create this chaos. Although I suppose most of you are: :popcorn:

I agree with @marieebo on the tackiness of the post, as I have already stated, but when I saw it I focused mostly on what was her main scope, aka being on the same (eating related) level as her followers, average people for the most part.

However, since the conversation has derailed and the new topic seems to be on the pandemic itself, I think we can all agree to disagree simply for the fact that we all come from different parts of the world, and the cultural factor plays a lot in this case.
I am Italian as well and I can say that the pandemic here has hit really hard, so our reality might be different from others’ along with our perception of what’s ok and what’s not in terms of posting on social media.
For example, I have American friends on Instagram that are now posting about vida loca in Mexico and that honestly pisses me off because I can’t help but thinking how these fuckers are basically using that country as a trash bin, probably bringing corona to people who in most cases don’t even have the money to get proper medical care.
My point is that, for example, as I am literally about to get to Sweden where coronavirus was experienced in a whole different way my perception of what’s right and wrong might change.
But, I find the discussione really constructive.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users
I'm not saying that the pandemic hasn't hit hard, in NYC or elsewhere, just that it has really exposed pre-existing class divides. People who were working class and financially unstable before the pandemic have had their lives torn apart, while people with money mostly haven't had to suffer much except for boredom. And for people truly living in poverty (the homeless, people in government-funded housing,) the hardships brought by the pandemic really aren't anything new. Even before all of this, they were at risk of losing their jobs and becoming very sick from diseases they don't have the money to treat.

This is why my ultimate point is that Bella's "out-of-touch" IG presence can be viewed as a symptom of the greater problem of class divide. Tbh my political views re: the economy aren't fully formed so I'm not even necessarily saying that the class divide is a problem, but I can pretty confidently say that if you take issue with celebrities being rich on Instagram you should look into the deeper societal inequities than enable this. I just think it's a weird stance to be like "I'm totally fine with the top .01% making billions of dollars while people starve, but GOD FORBID THEY POST ABOUT IT ON INSTAGRAM!!!"
For example, I have American friends on Instagram that are now posting about vida loca in Mexico and that honestly pisses me off because I can’t help but thinking how these fuckers are basically using that country as a trash bin, probably bringing corona to people who in most cases don’t even have the money to get proper medical care.
I have literally no idea why anyone would want to be in Tulum right now, but the fact that Mexico classifies tourism as an "essential business" has a lot to do with it too. Basically, DJs and promoters want to keep making $$$, Mexican cities like Tulum give them a place to do so, and wealthier Americans follow along for some reason.

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 4 users
I'm not saying that the pandemic hasn't hit hard, in NYC or elsewhere, just that it has really exposed pre-existing class divides. People who were working class and financially unstable before the pandemic have had their lives torn apart, while people with money mostly haven't had to suffer much except for boredom. And for people truly living in poverty (the homeless, people in government-funded housing,) the hardships brought by the pandemic really aren't anything new. Even before all of this, they were at risk of losing their jobs and becoming very sick from diseases they don't have the money to treat.

This is why my ultimate point is that Bella's "out-of-touch" IG presence can be viewed as a symptom of the greater problem of class divide. Tbh my political views re: the economy aren't fully formed so I'm not even necessarily saying that the class divide is a problem, but I can pretty confidently say that if you take issue with celebrities being rich on Instagram you should look into the deeper societal inequities than enable this. I just think it's a weird stance to be like "I'm totally fine with the top .01% making billions of dollars while people starve, but GOD FORBID THEY POST ABOUT IT ON INSTAGRAM!!!"

I have literally no idea why anyone would want to be in Tulum right now, but the fact that Mexico classifies tourism as an "essential business" has a lot to do with it too. Basically, DJs and promoters want to keep making $$$, Mexican cities like Tulum give them a place to do so, and wealthier Americans follow along for some reason.
I agree completely.

• Eye Roll
Reactions: 1 user
How? This is the sentiment I hear in the progressive movement and directly from lower-income New Yorkers, but I'll admit to having no personal experience in the matter.
I don't think it's right to believe that it couldn't possibly be worse and that the effects of the pandemic wouldn't make a difference for people in poverty. Just because you're struggling enough doesn't mean that struggle cannot be added to. For example, in my country and in many others, government funding during the pandemic to those in need has been shocking. Kids who relied on free school meals, now not allowed to be in school due to the pandemic, at first denied replacement meals at home- then once pushed to support these children, the government gave the most measly food packages you've ever seen supposed to suffice for a whole week. So many low-paid workers have been denied furlough and due to the pandemic, have no choice but to put themselves and their families at risk by going to work. The risk of coronavirus is significantly higher in poorer areas. I could go on for much longer but you get the gist- you might think extra struggle means nothing to someone, in comparison, living in unimaginable conditions- but believe me, it can always be worse.
It is much more accurate to say that the pandemic has actually negatively affected those in poverty more than anybody else.

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users
Just because you're struggling enough doesn't mean that struggle cannot be added to. For example, in my country and in many others, government funding during the pandemic to those in need has been shocking. Kids who relied on free school meals, now not allowed to be in school due to the pandemic, at first denied replacement meals at home- then once pushed to support these children, the government gave the most measly food packages you've ever seen supposed to suffice for a whole week. So many low-paid workers have been denied furlough and due to the pandemic, have no choice but to put themselves and their families at risk by going to work.
You're right, and I should have acknowledged this in my posts instead of speaking in a black&white way. I guess my original point was that pre-pandemic or mid-pandemic doesn't make much of a difference in the context of Bella's IG posts being "out of touch" with lower-income people.

Reactions: 1 user
I find it a little ridiculous that we’re bickering over whether posting about eating caviar is out of touch in the context of Spring Couture - the pieces that these models (and “models”) are wearing are thousands of dollars and out of most people’s budgets or lifestyles. If we’re going to pick at these women for being out of touch we could at least point out that they went from America to Paris in the middle of a pandemic (though I do understand that it’s for work).

It’s not really fair to go after rich people for mentioning doing rich people things - as long as they’re not looking down on people who can’t afford the things that they can (and as long as it’s not an ethical nightmare), it seems a little virtue signally to be up in arms about mentioning caviar.

Sorry if my grammar is a mess I just woke up

• Agree
Reactions: 16 users
0E9AD52A-6FF7-45CC-9241-9E560105694F.jpeg

0C895334-359D-4641-9FF2-9FE34EB07C96.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: 11 users
“GIGI IN WONDERLAND” [photoshopped pic of gigi with bee-stung face, dead eyes, split ends galore, arching her spine in pain, wrapped in a dress evoking a bloodstained bedsheet]
But considering the incredible things you can achieve with photoshop, I’m inclined to believe this is close to untouched.
98E47A25-107E-4BF9-98E1-C138C3F8F14C.jpeg
Instagram filters do a better job

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
And the accompanying YouTube video

When even the locals starts to talk about it:

I guess people has low tolerance to overly puffy faces...

Attachments

• C6B30C96-CBCA-4002-8F90-B9ED73B84B25.jpeg
    C6B30C96-CBCA-4002-8F90-B9ED73B84B25.jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 5D13E254-ED3B-4B65-9B52-CCC6539FD314.jpeg
    5D13E254-ED3B-4B65-9B52-CCC6539FD314.jpeg
    13.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users