(Pardon my clogging the thread, but this atrocity warrants a double post)

Tommy Hilfiger Says Gigi Hadid's Not Dumb Like Old-School Supermodels
"Tommy says Gigi is a break from the past, when models were beautiful, but dense."

Whereas Gigi, the genius who reduced gender identity to shapes, makes up for in brains what she's missing in looks? I believe that.

YekFNmpSY5wl.jpg

• WTF
  • Funny
Reactions: 3 users
Regardless of how intelligent he seems to think Gigi is, I'm so sick and tired of the 'dumb model' stereotype.

Frankly, there are dumbasses in every profession - but what particularly irritates me here is that many models have been able to use that career to overcome the disadvantage that can come from poor socio-economic backgrounds, and enjoy social mobility that would have otherwise been out of their reach due to factors outside of their control. Often, that includes access to 'good' education and potentially a home environment that promoted it.

Also, sure, intelligence is something to be valued. But so is beauty. Both are marketable skills, and both are influenced to an extent by genetics. Not everyone is born with the brain of a rocket scientist. I, for one, wasn't born with a brain for maths or science, but I've always had a solid command of writing and humanities. That's where my strengths are, and I'll be going into a profession that utilises that. Models, regardless of whether they have been blessed with looks and brains (which many have, paging @espressoenthusiast as an example), have chosen to utilise a genetic skillset the same way that every single person has to in choosing a career. So if some aren't very cerebral, what does it matter? Does that affect their job performance? If not, what's the point in randomly slating them just to elevate another woman?

In conclusion, fuck off, Tommy. Stop tarring models with the same, tired old rhetoric.

• Agree
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

"Tommy says Gigi is a break from the past, when models were beautiful, but dense."

Whereas Gigi, the genius who reduced gender identity to shapes, makes up for in brains what she's missing in looks? I believe that.

YekFNmpSY5wl.jpg
Also this is super insulting to the many models of those times who WERE as smart (if not smarter than gigi). Cameron Russell went to Columbia before even modeling, Brooke Shields went to Princeton, Christy Turlington went to Columbia (and has a MASTERS) and NYU, Cindy Crawford went to Northwestern briefly before modeling,Lily Cole went to Cambrige, Iman has a political science degree, I could go on and on. Gigi didn't even fucking graduate

• Love
  • Agree
Reactions: 19 users

YekFNmpSY5wl.jpg
Frankly this reminds me of those men who think saying “you’re not like other women, it’s so refreshing!” is a compliment. There’s really no need to make such a broad generalization about any group of people.

• Agree
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
I actually really disagree on Bella's outfit being good, feels like she's going for dominatrix/renaissance princess/haute couture Junya Watanabe SS15 but in black. I also think there are ways to execute the theme with a darker idea in mind but it looks forced here. To me it's on par (regarding tryhard-ism) with Nicki Minaj's outfit last year with a cutout patent/plastic Rei Kawakubo glued on her belt

tout-nicki-minaj-met-gala-2017.gif

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
View attachment 23990

Not a fan of the latex on top, but it’s not the worst she’s worn.

Sorry but this is a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad look. Were they trying to do a saint vs sinners thing? Gag. Neither of them are on theme but I personally think Gigi looked incredible, especially in comparison to Bella. Riffing on what @ecarlate said here but Bella is always trying SO HARD to be the darker, haute couture, alt version of Gigi and it's actually really sad. It's funny to me that Gigi wore Versace and yet Bella looks like she rolled up to a costume party dressed as the worst possible version of Donatella herself.

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: 7 users
Sorry but this is a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad look. Were they trying to do a saint vs sinners thing? Gag. Neither of them are on theme but I personally think Gigi looked incredible, especially in comparison to Bella. Riffing on what @ecarlate said here but Bella is always trying SO HARD to be the darker, haute couture, alt version of Gigi and it's actually really sad. It's funny to me that Gigi wore Versace and yet Bella looks like she rolled up to a costume party dressed as the worst possible version of Donatella herself.

I thought Gigi's could be an interpretation of angel wings?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
AD4BDEFA-AA2D-4B75-AF46-04BD7C8F48E0.jpeg
894B50ED-34FE-48D9-88B8-A58F87830DF1.jpeg

Putting her body aside for a moment, I think she’s much better suited to this aesthetic than all her previous Matrix cosplays.

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users