Getting told you have ‘potential’

Apr 13, 2023
Hi guys!

First of all, I wanted to say that I know it’s annoying to see another runt making a post but I’ve searched through the forums and I can’t seem to find anything about this.

A few months ago I got scouted by a really big agency in London and after meeting with them I was told that I have ‘potential’ and that I should come back in ~ 8 months (around my birthday). I’m not sure whether to take this as they are considering if I am a right for them or if it’s some kind of agency lingo that means I should stop wasting their time and they are letting me off softly.

Any thoughts?

This did not need a thread, there are other threads this could have been posted in or it could have been a status update.

But if the agency scouted YOU and then told you to come back after a certain period of time, I would listen to them and take the time to work on your body/look, if this is something you actually want. If they wanted you to leave them alone they would have just said "no" or "we'll get back to you if we're interested".

Reactions: 4 users
This did not need a thread, there are other threads this could have been posted in or it could have been a status update.
Sorry! I completely forgot about the option of status update and I did look at other threads but didn’t know which one to post in. I won’t make threads in the future though.

Also thank you for your opinion, I think it might be just me doubting myself too much.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys!

First of all, I wanted to say that I know it’s annoying to see another runt making a post but I’ve searched through the forums and I can’t seem to find anything about this.

A few months ago I got scouted by a really big agency in London and after meeting with them I was told that I have ‘potential’ and that I should come back in ~ 8 months (around my birthday). I’m not sure whether to take this as they are considering if I am a right for them or if it’s some kind of agency lingo that means I should stop wasting their time and they are letting me off softly.

Any thoughts?
Sorry to stir up this thread again, but I feel as if I have a pertinent answer.

I’ve submitted to a lot of agencies over the years prior to getting my reps for tv/film work and I have a fair amount of experience with this kind of thing.

The ones who are interested in you as you are, are likely already aware they have to make an investment in you as far as taking time to teach you and curate your image to make you submittable to work. Regardless of what kind of modelling it is or whatever industry within entertainment if you go that route. Obviously, some incredibly higher tier agencies only take girls who are already working to meet quotas, especially in larger cities. Those websites will generally say they don’t accept unsolicited submissions or materials and that anything sent to them will be thrown away, ignored or returned unopened.

So, if they respond to your e-mails (like in my case) or demonstrate interest yet don’t sign up to represent you - you’re always welcome to try again in a few months. Generally, they wouldn’t have bothered to respond or speak to you in the first place if they didn’t see potential there.

Since most people continue to submit to agencies they start to develop an eye for what’s needed - like the small things, punctuation when you write, angling in images, lighting, etc.

They generally ignore people they have no interest in or that don’t fit the direction their roster is going in.

That and people who can’t follow directions. I’ll say it again in caps. FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS when they’re clearly written or outlined to you is more important than anything else. Any directives they give you are likely to make life more convenient for themselves or whatever casting director/industry professional will be looking at anything they end up submitting. If you can’t follow directions submitting, they’ll simply overlook you for people who can. Those small things that don’t require any teaching seperate those that reps have a willingness to teach and those who don’t. Potential means nothing without attention to detail.

I know you’re saying you were scouted in person, but you’ll likely be in a position where this comes into play should you continue this route with this rep or another.

They look for any excuse to skip over a resume, photos, submission, whatever. It isn’t personal, they simply receive a mass volume of correspondence and materials, and don’t have the time to comb through something that isn’t appropriately arranged in a manner that’s convenient to them. You’re the one vying for their representation, it is not the other way around.

There’s also certain times of year where they aren’t developing new talent or faces. Then there’s times of year where they cut people or move them from the main board. So them telling you revisit the opportunity is an earnest one and there’s reasoning behind them taking the time.

This is an instance where you don’t overthink and take what the rep says at face value.

I submitted to my manager a few years prior to actually being represented by him. The second time I submitted to him he offered me representation. I chickened out because I was young and under stress. Eight months later I asked him if his offer still stood and I’ve represented by him ever since.

The ones who demonstrate interest in you as you are, are the ones who will back you when the time aligns if you want to follow through on that. In most cases. Provided they’re reputable and a good fit.

Some may not even demonstrate interest at all and do so later. It can go any way.

But yeah. End rant. 😅

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user