Getting into modelling as a twenty-something?

Moon

Rookie
Sep 28, 2012
Haven't posted in fucking forever but in desperate need of some advice from someone who'll be honest with me.

I got scouted on the street a week ago by a local agency that has been doing fairly well for itself. As a 23-year old with a good inch to lose on my hips, I am feeling pretty shocked they'd even approach me. I got in contact and they said they see a lot of potential, but obviously need me to lose the weight to get to 34" if I am serious about this.

Regardless of whether I'd be signed, it's a good kick up the ass to get in shape again and trim my hips down, because this is some serious confirmation I'm wasting my potential. Other than that, I'm feeling kind of conflicted about this offer because I would have never expected this to happen at my age, but they know and are fine with it. Secondly, due to my age, this is kind of interfering with the plans I'd loosely made concerning my future. I've been planning to get back in a 1-year MA programme, and am really unsure whether modelling and studying for an MA would be compatible at all? Should I even bother? I don't want to NOT do the MA, because it seems silly to take the jump, sign and then maybe not have any work whatsoever.

Perhaps these are all really dumb questions, and I'm probably overthinking all of this and probably the answers are obvious, but my friends are all like 'oMG thEy wAnT u tOo LoSe WeiGHt uR sO SkInNy aLReaADY!!' but obviously, this is how it works, so I just can't really talk about it with them. And I need to, because I don't want to get in something I can't commit to. I don't know the timelines on these things and need someone who can realistically tell me whether it'd be realistic to do my MA and sign with the agency too?

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly I’ve been scouted a few times despite being model-short. I have no idea why/what these people want from me but I’m wary. It takes a lot more than measurements and looks to model and honestly I’m not game. I suggest you dig deeper, find out what they want (are they charging you loads for cards? What do other models from that agency say?)

feel free to persue this but be aware if sunk costs and if it makes sense for you to take this career leap. Are you on a better trajectory with your current career choice? What would it do to your life-plans and goals if you took 1-2 years out to try modelling? What if you failed? Who can support you?

A male model friend of mine had his family support him while he modelled. He did fine, but he is now 27 and after the male model measurements changing ever so slightly, he couldn’t keep up. He is now a kiwi farmer in New Zealand. No shame, but his family have to support him now and it’s caused issues. What’s your fall-back plan??

• Agree
  • Eye Roll
Reactions: 3 users
@Moon - Just because you sign, doesn't mean you'll actually get the work.

Make sure you throughly understand the financial implications of signing (do you have to pay them for photos to build your portfolio, where are you supposed to be living - who will foot the rent, will you be reimbursed for travel costs, what is the minimum earn on a project, what is their commission per project, how often do they expect to use you, do you have veto rights on a job to protect your study time, is nudity part of it).

Understand the financial implications and time commitments, then make your decision.

Reactions: 1 users
My guess would be that if it is a local agency, the work will most likely be on the more commercial side, and therefore you won’t need to give up your entire life for it. A huge percentage of models, commercial AND fashion, keep other jobs if they are not in a major market city or consistently traveling for contracts abroad. The odds of your career getting to a point where you must dedicate your entire life are likely low, and if that DOES happen, you can cross that bridge then. You don’t have a whole lot to lose by signing so long as they are a reputable agency and not a John Casablancas or Social New York type.

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users
The odds of your career getting to a point where you must dedicate your entire life are likely low, and if that DOES happen, you can cross that bridge then. You don’t have a whole lot to lose by signing so long as they are a reputable agency and not a John Casablancas or Social New York type.

This (along with everyone elses') response is super helpful. Obviously all quite common sense but needed a place to vent and voice my doubts, and question what is reasonable/realistic. You've confirmed what I needed to be confirmed and emphasized what I was already wondering in the back of my mind. So thanks to every one of you.

From experience I can say: I've never been successful at modeling, some agencies that I've been with only offered jobs every 2-6 months. Which still meant: I had to go to the castings, meaning one day that I maybe had to take off work, and then chances could still be to not get the job. Those were little agencies. If you're not the typical "ideal" type, you might just not get as many offers as you'd think at first. Getting signed is the first step, but getting booked is another thing.
I'd say: don't sacrifice your main goals for something so vague, do both at the same time if the agency does not charge weird things or has bad reputation, and for those cadtings you can still take days off. If you're successful, you can still make new plans. Just don't sacrifice what's secure for something that's the hopeless dream of millions. Not saying it's impossible. Try it but continue your main thing still!

Reactions: 3 users