Freida Pinto

^Sure.
You're entitled to your own opinion.
I guess it's really in-my-face the change in the way she talks because I'm from the same country, it's hard t ignore.
As for her representing India, she's kinda is one of the few that people identify as from India (or maybe Apu, from the Simpsons) - my problem being she's not really a good actor.

I don't know how many people think of Freida Pinto when they think of India, but I sure as hell don't think Miley = America or the NJ Guidos = Italy :lol:

Out of curiosity, why do you perceive it to be a bad thing that she no longer speaks with an Indian accent? If you're speaking English, you want to speak either American or British English (depending where you live), not English with an accent that makes it difficult for others to understand. It's the same with any language - most people when they learn a language want to speak to the same degree of fluency as those for whom the language is native.

Reactions: 1 users
Irene, my point is it's not like the way she was speaking she wasn't perfectly legible before - I mean foreigners are now accustomed to even the thickest of Indian accents.
She was speaking perfectly fluent Irish Catholic convent taught English before - since childhood. That's the way all the people I know talk and we're really not difficult to understand.
The putting on of an American twang, if you will, seems to me like she's trying too hard.

The putting on of an American twang, if you will, seems to me like she's trying too hard.

Maybe it's just better for her carrier. I saw an interview with Sofia Vergara where she said it was harder for her to get jobs because of her accent since it doesn't suit most roles. They either have to rewrite and adapt roles for her to suit the way she talks, or simply create one especially for her, like it was the case on Modern Family.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe it's just better for her carrier. I saw an interview with Sofia Vergara where she said it was harder for her to get jobs because of her accent since it doesn't suit most roles. They either have to rewrite and adapt roles for her to suit the way she talks, or simply create one especially for her, like it was the case on Modern Family.

I suppose that's possible.
I guess I just think she doesn't need to try so hard. And yes, the $$ thing!

Irene, my point is it's not like the way she was speaking she wasn't perfectly legible before - I mean foreigners are now accustomed to even the thickest of Indian accents.

I watched those videos, and as an american who lives in a very diverse area and speaks to Indians and Asians who recently came from their mother countries for my job, I had a difficult time understanding her in the first video. I don't think you know how it is here. We are not all accustomed to heavy accents. And people with heavy accents are treated differently. Is it fair? Nope. But thats how it is.

Reactions: 1 user
I won't say I don't know how it is there.
I actually spent a month in Manhattan and didn't have much trouble communicating with Americans.
Maybe a month isn't enough but then, my sisters been there for 5 years and she doesn't have a problem, either. But our English isn't as 'thick'.
Like I said, its striking to my ears how much she's developed her accent.

She is from Mangalore where my parents are from!

I know she doesn't look traditionally Indian but neither do I. I'm catholic with a Portuguese last name
Like her.

India is HUGE and people from the south look different than from the north.

And her accent changed over time which is normal. My parents were brought up in mangalore with a lot of English so their accents have faded over time as well.

I think she's really pretty and skinny. She doesn't have the typical sharp pointy features and I think it's pretty too.

Yss but she's mangalorean. Generally, they speak Konkani and it is not Hindi. Maybe that's why she sounds different. My parents sound Canadian mostly. I can't help sound completely Canadian as I was born and raised here.

She looks very, very beautiful to me.

I don't think she's thin, but it doesn't bother me at all - she's still gorgeous.

She is so average to me. I liked her look in Immortals, but that's it. Being familiar with the Indian actress line up, up till a few years ago, I find her really wide, especially through the torso, as is characteristic of some of the Indian actresses I've seen.

Freida Pinto is much like Ashwariya Rai to me. I don't understand her appeal, especially as both actresses cannot act well. Their faces are typical South Indian faces and if I was to see them painly dressed on a street in South India I would not notice them, let alone turn to look. In my books, Freida is over-hyped. At the cost of sounding discriminatory, which I do not intend to be, I find the buzz around her exists partially because she is "exotic" by the definition of "Hey, look, she's not white". Looking Indian is not a skill. I personally know too many Indian women who are far better thinspo and prettier than she is.

And OMG, that pretentious vintage pin-up wanna-be picture. Unfortunately, what has been seen cannnot be unseen.

From Cannes:
freidapinto.jpg

I love the dress, especially the color. :luv: I think she's looking good for an actress.