France likely to pass bill banning super-skinny models

*sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place or it has been posted*
Well, this came as a shock to me! Jailing and fining because the models are skinny... IN PARIS?
But at least it is not definite!
Do you girls think it'll go forward?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/re...ly-pass-bill-banning-super-skinny-models.html

That's ridiculous. It's a very high minimum weight, so many girls are naturally thinner than that, they'd have to force some to do unhealthy things to gain weight, so it just creates a problem in itself.

I doubt it will actually happen entirely, I hope not anyway. It sounds like the sort of thing that will be proposed and then will prove so complicated to enforce that it will quietly go away.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't buy it. Probably just another publicity stunt to shut the public up for a few minutes. :yawn:

Reactions: 3 users
It actually didn't pass!!
I would hope not. Laws like this are very discriminatory. If we can fine someone for being too thin (bad influence on society blah blah) then we should be able to fine someone for being too fat (unfair use of limited societal resources)... eventually we might as well just fine a "normal weight" person for breathing because... air. :rolleyes:

I would hope not. Laws like this are very discriminatory. If we can fine someone for being too thin (bad influence on society blah blah) then we should be able to fine someone for being too fat (unfair use of limited societal resources)... eventually we might as well just fine a "normal weight" person for breathing because... air. :rolleyes:
I don't think a law like that would ever pass in France (I actually saw people reacting badly to it), and when it got rejected the main reason was that it was discriminatory.

Truth is, most of the population do not care. Those who do don't know much about anorexia.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not exactly like the Italian bill has been all that effective. None of my model friends have a BMI of anything even close to 18 yet they book plenty of shows at MFW.

Reactions: 2 users
That's ridiculous. It's a very high minimum weight, so many girls are naturally thinner than that, they'd have to force some to do unhealthy things to gain weight, so it just creates a problem in itself.

Next they should ban Mariah Carey songs because not everyone has a voice like hers and it makes all aspiring singers (and potentially everyone) feel bad about themselves and potentially damage their vocal cords straining to reach her range.

I remember reading some 'joke' that more people had damaged their voices trying to sing 'Hero' on those Idol/X Factor/the Voice shows than from smoking.

Now, those who run so-called “pro-ana” or “thinsipirational” websites risk a maximum year’s imprisonment and a fine of €10,000 (£7,344) for “provoking people to excessive thinness by encouraging prolonged dietary restrictions that could expose them to a danger of death or directly impair their health”.

The measure was voted as an amendment to a broader health reform.

However, a second proposal to slap fines and prison sentences on anyone employing undernourished fashion models was abandoned last week.

The news articles are providing conflicting information, either that or I'm not comprehending.

The news articles are providing conflicting information, either that or I'm not comprehending.
I thought the same. That second article makes it sound as though the bill to punish agencies employing girls with a low BMI didn't pass. Either they haven't worded it very well, or they've got it wrong as every other article I've read on the matter makes it very clear that the law was approved.

Here's another article from the BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32174364

It will be interesting to see what comes of it, I cant think of any other country that has actually been successful in regulating the weight of models, despite their best efforts, but I don't think there have ever been quite such drastic repercussions put in place before. I'll let you all know if I hear anything from any agencies and friends who work regularly in Paris.

I thought the same. That second article makes it sound as though the bill to punish agencies employing girls with a low BMI didn't pass. Either they haven't worded it very well, or they've got it wrong as every other article I've read on the matter makes it very clear that the law was approved.

Here's another article from the BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32174364

It will be interesting to see what comes of it, I cant think of any other country that has actually been successful in regulating the weight of models, despite their best efforts, but I don't think there have ever been quite such drastic repercussions put in place before. I'll let you all know if I hear anything from any agencies and friends who work regularly in Paris.
My best guess is that there will be a momentarily freakout IF there is one, then it will die down.
Even if they are not directly fining models, they are essentially saying that these models are not fit to work for being thin.
Really interested to see how this plays out.

http://www.nosdeputes.fr/14/amendement/2673/2310
(link in french to the official text)

The BMI limits will be set later based on HAS opinion (Hight health autority , which isn't 100% independant by the way) by the ministry of labor. I guess there would be discussions with model agencies and some time before the new law will be applicable.
Luxe industry is precious to our economy, politicians knows that.

Has anyone heard if this law has actually had any effect on underweight models? I sure hope not. This is just women being denied autonomy over their bodies. The same as if overweight plus sized models were banned. Could you imagine the public outrage?? Lol. What a double standard.