Fit to Fat to Fit on A&E

khaleesi

Rising Star
Feb 23, 2016
Washington, DC
Has anyone else seen this show?

http://www.aetv.com/shows/fit-to-fat-to-fit

The concept is that skinny/fit people will intentionally gain weight in order to "understand" the process of losing weight and getting in shape so that they'll better emphasize with fat people...

So far, watching people stuff themselves with unhealthy food in order to gain weight is working wonderfully to keep me on my fast.

Salon seems to think the empathy is manufactured and should be kinder to fat people. :meh:

http://www.salon.com/2016/01/25/its...fit_show_oozes_contempt_disguised_as_empathy/

Has anyone else seen this show?

http://www.aetv.com/shows/fit-to-fat-to-fit

The concept is that skinny/fit people will intentionally gain weight in order to "understand" the process of losing weight and getting in shape so that they'll better emphasize with fat people...

So far, watching people stuff themselves with unhealthy food in order to gain weight is working wonderfully to keep me on my fast.

Salon seems to think the empathy is manufactured and should be kinder to fat people. :meh:

http://www.salon.com/2016/01/25/its...fit_show_oozes_contempt_disguised_as_empathy/

I worked on this show and it was just painful on various levels.

1. It demonstrates yoyo dieting and binge eating just to make a point
2. It's insulting to overweight individuals by making it look so quick and easy to just shed the weight
3. It's unrealistic by pushing the luxury of having a personal trainer and dietician
4. It minimizes the dangers of obesity by achieving it voluntarily

And more I could touch upon. I hate that I work on shows I don't like or support but as a freelancer I often have to take whatever comes up because sometimes it feels like if I don't, I might never work again. Jobs are scarce and chancy but staying actively involved improves my resume and builds my network.

Anyway, back to the topic...Bottom line, I hate what this show stands for and how they use this subject for entertainment. I really hope they will not renew it for a second season.

Reactions: 5 users
I worked on this show and it was just painful on various levels.

1. It demonstrates yoyo dieting and binge eating just to make a point
2. It's insulting to overweight individuals by making it look so quick and easy to just shed the weight
3. It's unrealistic by pushing the luxury of having a personal trainer and dietician
4. It minimizes the dangers of obesity by achieving it voluntarily

And more I could touch upon. I hate that I work on shows I don't like or support but as a freelancer I often have to take whatever comes up because sometimes it feels like if I don't, I might never work again. Jobs are scarce and chancy but staying actively involved improves my resume and builds my network.

Anyway, back to the topic...Bottom line, I hate what this show stands for and how they use this subject for entertainment. I really hope they will not renew it for a second season.

That's really interesting; thank you for replying and sharing your experience. It seems like you would feel that the criticism from Salon is well-founded?

I've watched 3 episodes and, honestly, by the third it just started to feel....uncomfortable. Particularly when the trainers/fit-folk seemed to be individuals without a lot of other responsibilities (no children) OR employed in a job that pays them to be extremely active or healthy. One episode featured a woman (Caylee?) who truly wanted to change her lifestyle, but worked many hours and had to set her schedule around the needs of her husband/children. It made me sad to watch.

I DID like that it showed that thinness (and obesity) is a general lifestyle, not simply a choice that's made at mealtime.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh my god, I was hoping there was a thread on this. My husband and I turned this on a few weeks ago and I thought of the forum. I have a stronger stomach than him. He almost got sick watching this girl, an alleged "trainer" eat like a fatty. She was not "fit" in the first place (according to my standards) but nevertheless the transformation was quite shocking and disgusting.

Anyways, these shows are such great thinspo. It reminded me of the show Supersize vs Superskinny but it may have been even more satisfying to watch, in a thinspo way.

I just finished watching this series. As a whole, it was pretty unremarkable, but it was something good to have on in the background when working out. I would have liked to see the trainers have to maintain their high weight for a year and then try to return to their original weight. That would have been more interesting to see how the body reacts after it has a new homeostasis and the social/psychological aspect has really had time to set in. But that's just for my own entertainment, I wouldn't wish that on anyone really lol

@Chloe Madeline I know this comment is older, but would you mind adding more of your critique here? Especially as a person that had a direct connection to the show.

I know this thread is older, but I just started watching an ep or two and I'm curious if you recall any more pressing ethical issues or flaws.