Finding small clothes?

A

AnastasiaB

Hello,

I am sure this has been asked before but I am having a hard time finding clothes now that I am back to my lower weight. Ann Taylor size 0 is too big. GAP 00 fits but they never have any in-store. Brooks Brothers is way too big now.

I am resorting to buying kids shorts (size 14 or 16) but the pants are too short.

What suggestions do you have for skinny shopping? Oh and I am older so I tend to dress more conservatively.

Thanks!

So I am 36 and I shop at the following stores:

Banana republic--wear their 0 most of the time, I shop here for jeans and nice underpinnings and occasionally slacks
White house black market--I wear a 00 or XXS here, I shop here for dresses but don't care for their tops/pants/suiting
Dillards for Antonio Melani--I wear a 0 in this line. This is my favorite line for suiting and professional dresses. Their clothing is conservative, structured yet feminine. God I love their clothes
REI for lole, horney toad, prana and patagonia all size 0 or sometimes even a size 2 all for weekend and vacation clothing. I am pretty active on the weekends.

For reference I am 5'7" 110 lbs. 34.5-24.5-34.5

Reactions: 1 user
I will have to check out Dillards. Thanks for the suggestion! Our Banana Republic doesn't carry smaller than 2 most times and I really like to try on clothes in the stores. That and I buy on sale so if there are any small sizes they are usually gone by the time the clothes go on sale.

If you are short Banana Republic's petite section has a lot of small clothes. I am a size 0 in their normal slacks but a size 4 in the petite section. I'm 5'4".

Hi, I live in the uk, so this is kind of off topic. But this is one if the things that worry me about getting smaller. Nearly all uk highstreet stores stock size 8 (4) and most of the young fashionable stores stock size 6(2), but I have never even seen a size 4(0) in a store. Tbh I dont think i'll ever be a size 0, because I have a stocky frame. But if I get to a 6(2) I might still be limited for clothes in some stores.
So does this not worry some of you skinnier girls? If your losing weight to look better in fashionable clothes isnt it kind of silly if you end up buying stuff from the childrens section? If there.are so many girls that are size 4(0) then why have I never seen this size in uk stores?

@Rose Virgo
Next and new look do size 6(2), and topshop do size 4(0). Otherwise you might need to venture off the high street.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will have to check out Dillards. Thanks for the suggestion! Our Banana Republic doesn't carry smaller than 2 most times and I really like to try on clothes in the stores. That and I buy on sale so if there are any small sizes they are usually gone by the time the clothes go on sale.

We don't live in the same city so I can tell you my strategy and not have to fight you over it:grin: I never buy at Dillards unless it is 40-65% off. I can always find things in my size but I have the greatest success by going outside the city to the burbs where all the mommies have let themselves go. The 0 size is always on the sale rack in the burbs but not in the wealthy section of town or downtown.

For banana republic I have good success at their outlets.

@Rose Virgo
Next and new look do size 6(2), and topshop do size 4(0). Otherwise you might need to venture off the high street.

Next and new look and miss selfridge and dorothy perkins all do size 6(2), thats what I meabt by young fashionable stores. Now that I think of it topsgop is the type if store that would stock size 4(2), and the reaaon I never saw it is becauae I hardly ever go into topsgop because I feel intimidated by it. It seems like a store for really thin fashionable girls with money and I always feel I dont belong in it. Haha, no offense to anyone that shops there.

We don't live in the same city so I can tell you my strategy and not have to fight you over it:grin: I never buy at Dillards unless it is 40-65% off. I can always find things in my size but I have the greatest success by going outside the city to the burbs where all the mommies have let themselves go. The 0 size is always on the sale rack in the burbs but not in the wealthy section of town or downtown.

For banana republic I have good success at their outlets.

Ha! I think I know of a Dillards that probably would have lots of small sizes then! Also, the skirt I am wearing in my profile pic is from Banana Republic Outlet. I love it so I just wish it was closer to where I live.

At my LW I had to shop at Abercrombie kids to find jeans... I was a girls size 10-12

I loved knowing that I was soooo small that even 00 was too big for me

Hi, I live in the uk, so this is kind of off topic. But this is one if the things that worry me about getting smaller. Nearly all uk highstreet stores stock size 8 (4) and most of the young fashionable stores stock size 6(2), but I have never even seen a size 4(0) in a store. Tbh I dont think i'll ever be a size 0, because I have a stocky frame. But if I get to a 6(2) I might still be limited for clothes in some stores.
So does this not worry some of you skinnier girls? If your losing weight to look better in fashionable clothes isnt it kind of silly if you end up buying stuff from the childrens section? If there.are so many girls that are size 4(0) then why have I never seen this size in uk stores?

I do worry about the lack of options. It is very frustrating. I wanted to buy a gorgeous dress from Ann Taylor Outlet and even the size 0 was too big (the bust fit okay). So while I still hope to be able to find stuff that fits off the racks, one thing I am doing is finding really high quality items (on sale) and getting them tailored. Then I am filling in the holes with kids clothes. Since I am a little over average height the pants don't fit so I am sticking with shorts. Although I did buy a pair of boy's Joe's Jeans at Nordstrom Rack that I can wear with flats.

For basics (t-shirts, plain skirts, etc) American Apparel tends to be okay with their sizing. I haven't bought something from them for a while now, so I hope that hasn't changed!

For basics (t-shirts, plain skirts, etc) American Apparel tends to be okay with their sizing. I haven't bought something from them for a while now, so I hope that hasn't changed!

I second this. Especially their basics usually go down to an XXS. And they have cute dresses that run true to size (meaning the smaller sizes are actually small..)

I know, tell me about it! I live in London, and back last year when I was at my lowest weight, I could literally not find any clothes that fit, especially since I'm 'petite' vertically as well! And what's up with some stores (cough, M&S, cough) not stocking anything lower than 10-12 for most ranges? It's discrimimation, I say, discrimination!

H & M's sizes run small.
I usually wear a 0/2 and i fit snug into their 2's.
I love their buisness wear! I also love Express slacks.

Ann Taylor-- Their 0's are huge.
Usually stores directed toward the older crowds (ie Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft, The Limited) are usually sized way bigger.

Bringing this thread alive because it's a problem for us skinnies.

Reiss - size 4 (size 0) - but a bit on the generous size
Hollister
Abercrombie
Zara kids
J Brand jeans (I think on a smaller side)

Oh and I was on Nordstrom website and saw size 000 shorts. I don't know if they are generous or not in actual fit but. Any other places with 00 or 000 clothing or 0 sized clothes that actually run small?

Any other stores/brands suited for skinny girls?

@classicchic - great to see a UK girl post, this is something I struggle with a lot :) I'd never thought of zara kids...

I wear New Look 'Generation 15' kids clothes for jeans, usually an age 10, this is helped however by the fact that I am child sized in height! £10 for a pair of skinnies - ok, so not the best quality but they fit and a air of cheaper jeans that fit look far better than a pair of more expensive jeans that don't.

Miss Selfridge now do a size 4 in pretty much everything they sell (too bad about how awful the last 6 months worth of lines have been though :rolleyes:)

Hollister (already mentioned, but great for jeans especially - they have longs in 00 online). Abercrombie's 00s are one size bigger than Hollisters, so depending on how small you need them, here might be an option as well.

Wet Seal - they also have 00s online in longs:luv: Since both them and Hollister have junior sizing, their 00s are smaller than average.

Express - their 00s are kind of big, but their dresses tend to be stretchy material, so the XS should fit.

Torrid (haha, just kidding)

I get most of my clothes tailored. It's hard to find clothes that fit perfectly for anyone, especially us skinny girls. My size range is 00-2 depending (generally a 0), I just wish that more stores had grown up clothes in smaller sizes... I don't know what I would do without my tailor.

Anyone tried Asos stuff? Hows the sizing?

@eyelinerandspraypaint, it's tricky here in the UK. The only place is Hollister. Abercrombie used to be better but then Hollister decided to sell smaller stuff. I don't know how close you are to the stores but there's a few in London. Shipping is £9 which is too much for me unless I'm getting a lot of stuff on sale.

Oh and they have Gilly Hicks, I haven't brought anything from there. Anyone know if they are similar to hollister and abercrombie sizes?
I completely forgot about Abercrombie kids - I haven't brought anything from here since a long long time ago when I was in the US. Damn it we don't have one here and man much cheaper too. Oh ok getting excited now at the thought of looking at Abercrombie kids stuff.
For anyone that shops from both Abercrombie and Abercrombie kids which fitting is better, the smallest adult size or the kids stuff? I'm talking abut both tops and bottoms/dresses - everything really.

I haven't been to Miss Selfridges but haven't really been impressed with their stuff.

Other kids stuff - the kid stuff is massive so you be sure to buy for a really young age.
Tommy Hilfiger
Ralph Lauren