Favourite Movie

So many movies to choose from. And now you guys have given me a whole list of movies to watch over the next 3 weeks, so thank you :)

Here's mine
Inception
Breakfast at Tiffany's
The Apartment (it's on Youtube and highly recommend)
Disney Movies (Aladdin, Ratatouille, Snow White and Seven Dwarfs plus a whole bunch)
Cruel Intentions
Mean Girls
Run Lola Run
Vendetta
Black Swan
Amelie

There must be a lot more that I am too lazy to think of ;)

Amelie
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham

The only ones that come to mind right now.

I have wanted to watch Amelie what is it about?

Well, from the back of the DVD package...

"A painfully shy waitress working at a ting Paris cafe, Amelie makes a surprising discovery and sees her life drastically changed for the better! From then on, Amelie didicates herself to helping other find happiness...in the most delightfully unexpected ways! But will she have the courage to do for herself what she has done for others?"

That said, it a cute and corky little story about finding love and improving the lives of others. It's adorable and I love it! Oh, and unless you know French be prepared for subtitles.

P.S. - That stupid travel site totally stole the gnome idea!!

Reviving this as making an apposite thread seemed a bit extra.

@elle_w00ds quite inspired me to improve my English, even if it’s not my mother tongue I’d love to better my diction:inluv:

So, can you suggest any movie/series in which the level is a bit higher than the average Netflix show?

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
@clairefhjao I'm genuinely flattered! :luvluv:

I've found mere exposure to English (even when spoken at a not terribly high level) conducive to a better command of the language, and my suggestion would be to find a movie or series which truly interests you rather than prioritising only the technical details, as that will make the learning experience more enjoyable--plus you'll be motivated to spend more time on and pay better attention to whatever is going on on the screen, which ultimately yields a greater ROI, anyway.

If you are interested some more intellectually stimulating movies, I recommend Magnolia, Pi, Coherence, The Killing of a Sacred Deer*, Happiness, 2001: Space Odyssey, The Last Temptation of Christ, Exotica, and Dark City. Shutter Island, Inception, Matrix, Requiem for a Dream, and Primer are vanilla titles you probably know already, but I'll add them just in case.

There is also so much interesting content on youtube. I often watch panel debates and speeches on there, most recently Robert Sapolsky's lecture series in behavioural biology and lots of Terry Eagleton. Oxford Union puts out really interesting talks, too, but wherever your interests may lie, you are likely to locate something to your taste. It's an amazing resource, and you'll find exercised in the more scholarly videos rather advanced language.

*Nicole Kidman being a lovely skinny as an added bonus, and Lantimos is a brilliant director--I'd recommend Kynodontas, too, but it's in Greek and not suitable for this

Last edited:
  • Useful
@clairefhjao thank you for bumping this thread!

Mine include:
- Girl Interrupted
- Pulp Fiction
- Clueless
- I, Origins
- Before Sunrise
- Stepford Wives (the original, wanna watch the Nicole Kidman one too)
- Jeune et Jolie (great thinspo)
- American Psycho
- Cruel Intentions
- Kill Bill
- American Beauty

If it wasn’t obvious, I’m incredibly basic.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Some of my favorites are:

-Velvet Goldmine
-Valerie & Her Week Of Wonders
-Natural Born Killers
-Call Me By Your Name
-Nymphomaniac
-Lilya 4Ever
-Before Sunrise
-Lost In Translation
-La Belle Personne
-The Virgin Suicides
-Down By Law
-Gia
-Boys Don't Cry
and I also love Jeune et Jolie! Marine Vacth is so perfect :luv:

@elle_w00ds thank you! Very detailed and informative. Will start tonight x

Well, I’ll add my favourites. I’m in love with the French New Wave, Vincent Cassel, and black and white movies in general.

-Breathless (Jean Luc Gorard, FNW)
-La Haine (Matthieu Kassovitz, starring Cassel, one of my absolute favourites)
-Gaspar Noe movies (boring if not watched attentively imo)
-Every Wes Anderson movie (perfect in every way, from the animated to his short movies/ ads for Prada Castello Cavalcanti, which is inspired by Amarcord. Personal fav is Moonrise kingdom :luv:)
-Memento
-Training Day (with denzel washington)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Kind of a random addition but if anyone likes interesting visuals, I’d strongly recommend any Peter Greenaway film.
img%5D

More interesting movies that (I think) haven’t been mentioned yet: Orlando, Se7en, Dead Poets Society, Romeo + Juliet, Titus, Fight Club, Closer, The Dreamers, The Game, Rear Window, The Godfather, Gone Girl, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979), Melancholia, Desyat Negrityat, The Skin I Live In, Raise the Red Lantern.

Whatever you do, please don’t try Salò or Martyrs - Irréversible is OK if you have a thick skin but I don’t see the point.

• Love
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users
My favorites:
  • Into the wild
  • Requiem for a dream
  • 2001: Space Odessy
  • Persepolis
  • The eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
  • The truman show
  • Fight Club
  • Dancer in the dark
  • City of god (portuguese)
  • The secret in their eyes (spanish)
  • I origins
  • The dark side of the heart (spanish)
  • Princess Monoke (japanese)

Oh goodness... my list is so long and could be longer....
Silence of the Lambs
The Breakfast Club
The Hunger
Repulsion
Labyrinth
Eastern Promises
The Dark Crystal
Y Tu Mamma Tambien
The Usual Suspects
Amores Perros
Girl on a Bridge
Indochine
A Clockwork Orange
Rocky Horror Picture Show
City of God
Pulp Fiction
Salaam Bombay
Neverending Story
eXistenZ
Heathers
True Romance
Wedding Crashers
Joe Dirt
Metropolis
Edward Scissorhands
Suicide Kings
Requiem for a Dream
True Romance
Pan's Labyrinth
Snatch
Ferris Beuller's Day Off
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
Mean Girls
Crybaby
Fight Club
Heat
Breakfast at Tiffany's
The Rivers Edge
Clueless
Less Than Zero
The Wall (Pink Floyd)
Thelma and Louise
21 Grams

That's just off the top of my head... I watch too much film

• Love
My favorites:
  • Into the wild
  • Requiem for a dream
  • 2001: Space Odessy
  • Persepolis
  • The eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
  • The truman show
  • Fight Club
  • Dancer in the dark
  • City of god (portuguese)
  • The secret in their eyes (spanish)
  • I origins
  • The dark side of the heart (spanish)
  • Princess Monoke (japanese)
We have some movies in common... With regards to Requiem- I've never been so afraid if a refrigerator in my life! And City of God is one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen (Indochine you might like... it's different but the cinematography is aces) ... I forgot about Mononke but I loved that too.

• Love
A couple of mine (disclaimer: I am actually a 5-year-old and cry when animals die in movies, so I enjoy some pretty kid-oriented stuff :lol:)

-Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away <<< I, being the tree-hugger that I am, naturally gravitate towards movies with awesome visuals, great plots, AND environmentalist subtext
-Howl's Moving Castle
-Farewell, My Concubine (Mandarin)
-El lauberinto del fauno/Pan's Labyrinth <<< super duper DUPER scary imo (I'm a wimp, if you can't tell lol) but love the symbolism and magical realism
-The Book of Life <<< Cute and colorful. Kind of similar to "Coco"
-Both "Incredibles" movies
-Esteros (Spanish) <<< Kind of reminded me of "Call Me By Your Name" in the visuals/aesthetic and a little of the plot, but I got less of a "rich kids talking around their feelings vibe" from it+the age gap between the two characters wasn't so jarring
-Rise of the Guardians <<< told you guys that I'm a kid :p
-Crazy Rich Asians <<< Look I'm basic but I ADORE the visual aesthetics...like tropic-punk glamour??? Yes please
-Amazing Grace <<< A historical drama about William Wilberforce, one of the guys who worked to abolish slavery and the slave trade in England. I've heard people call it a "Christian" movie before and whatever IDK anything about religion I think it's still enjoyable without considering it as a 'religious movie'
-The Emperor's New Groove (lol)
-Inception <<< The concept is really really cool
-Ocean's Eight <<< I love how distinct each character is
-Anthropoid <<< 1) Cillian Murphy 2) The ending breaks my heart!!!
-Ex Machina <<< the ending OMG

Anyway sorry this list is getting pretty long so I'll just shut up now :lol:

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
We have some movies in common... With regards to Requiem- I've never been so afraid if a refrigerator in my life! And City of God is one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen (Indochine you might like... it's different but the cinematography is aces) ... I forgot about Mononke but I loved that too.

I love your list. You have so many great movies there. I've never seen Indochine, I will look it up. Great taste btw

• Love
Disclaimer: I don’t watch too many movies, so my list is probably crappy, but here goes:

Wadjda (Arabic)
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
Black Swan
Nymphomaniac and its sequel
Gone Girl
Hunger
King of Devil’s Island
Le Mépris
Indochine

A couple of mine (disclaimer: I am actually a 5-year-old and cry when animals die in movies, so I enjoy some pretty kid-oriented stuff :lol:)

-Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away <<< I, being the tree-hugger that I am, naturally gravitate towards movies with awesome visuals, great plots, AND environmentalist subtext
-Howl's Moving Castle
-Farewell, My Concubine (Mandarin)
-El lauberinto del fauno/Pan's Labyrinth <<< super duper DUPER scary imo (I'm a wimp, if you can't tell lol) but love the symbolism and magical realism
-The Book of Life <<< Cute and colorful. Kind of similar to "Coco"
-Both "Incredibles" movies
-Esteros (Spanish) <<< Kind of reminded me of "Call Me By Your Name" in the visuals/aesthetic and a little of the plot, but I got less of a "rich kids talking around their feelings vibe" from it+the age gap between the two characters wasn't so jarring
-Rise of the Guardians <<< told you guys that I'm a kid :p
-Crazy Rich Asians <<< Look I'm basic but I ADORE the visual aesthetics...like tropic-punk glamour??? Yes please
-Amazing Grace <<< A historical drama about William Wilberforce, one of the guys who worked to abolish slavery and the slave trade in England. I've heard people call it a "Christian" movie before and whatever IDK anything about religion I think it's still enjoyable without considering it as a 'religious movie'
-The Emperor's New Groove (lol)
-Inception <<< The concept is really really cool
-Ocean's Eight <<< I love how distinct each character is
-Anthropoid <<< 1) Cillian Murphy 2) The ending breaks my heart!!!
-Ex Machina <<< the ending OMG

Anyway sorry this list is getting pretty long so I'll just shut up now :lol:

Ex Machina = YES! as well as Farewell My Concubine :luvluv:

Disclaimer: I don’t watch too many movies, so my list is probably crappy, but here goes:

Wadjda (Arabic)
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
Black Swan
Nymphomaniac and its sequel
Gone Girl
Hunger
King of Devil’s Island
Le Mépris
Indochine

I just added Wadjda to my watch list... "Hunger" is the Irish movie? If so I like it a bunch...