Favourite Movie

Skinny priorities spotted in Germany Year Zero:

31283224-6C87-4492-858F-EA5BD61B79A8.jpeg

Checking my mass after they sell my scale by submerging myself in a tub full of rosewater each evening and collecting the overflow

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
SO happy this thread has been updated, I've been waiting for this moment 😂
My favourite film is The Dreamers (Bernardo Bertolucci).

The Dreamers (2003)

It's about an American who moves to Paris and ends up in a strange love triangle with a brother and sister. It's one of those films that the more I watch, the more I notice - it's full of easter eggs and intricate references, as well as a wonderful soundtrack and visually beautiful scenes.

• Love
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users
Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom will absolutely eradicate any appetite you have for at least a day...

Obviously Pasolini is a genius and it's absolutely a masterpiece in its own way. Plus the music, setting, and costumes are divine and there's a semi-comic dimension in a sense (love John Waters' discussion on its making).

(Not my "favorite" movie but I'm not about to list Pasolini's work as "thinspiration")

• Funny
Reactions: 1 user
Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom will absolutely eradicate any appetite you have for at least a day...

Obviously Pasolini is a genius and it's absolutely a masterpiece in its own way. Plus the music, setting, and costumes are divine and there's a semi-comic dimension in a sense (love John Waters' discussion on its making).

(Not my "favorite" movie but I'm not about to list Pasolini's work as "thinspiration")
I read a summary of Salò a few weeks ago and even that absolutely eradicated my appetite, I can’t even imagine the effect of watching the actual movie! Way too gruesome for me tbh, I can’t do gore :nervous:

So as to not derail the thread too much: not necessarily thinspiration, but I’ve been loving Czech New Wave cinema lately, particularly those with more surrealist leanings. I first watched Valerie and her Week of Wonders and Daisies many years ago and loved both, but never really delved much deeper than that. However, recently I’ve really enjoyed Intimate Lighting and The Firemen’s Ball. I know I’m totally late to the party and these are all well known, but I would highly recommend any of these movies to those interested!

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
I can rarely sit down and focus long enough to fully engage with a movie but when I do I always have superrr strong opinions. My favorite recently has to be Jennifer's Body starring Megan Fox; it's not necessarily a GOOD film, but I love everything about Jennifer, and I love this type of early 2000s horror comedy <3 In terms of actual emotional, thought-provoking films, I loved Beautiful Boy starring Timothee Chalamet- it made me sob.

• Eye Roll
Reactions: 2 users
@blondeicecube I am putting you on mute because the current influx of runts is close to making this site unusable for me, just as 98% of the internet, but I would advise you to calm down and get a feeling of the site before broadcasting your opinion on every topic that wafts into your head.

Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 4.40.18 PM.png

I always have superrr strong opinions

OMG how interesting, tell us more, it's not like literally anybody off the street has a ton of "opinions" on any topic after thinking about it for two seconds and is exhorted to "express" these opinions everywhere and all the time.

I can rarely sit down and focus long enough to fully engage with a movie
unbelievable-david-rose.gif

Girls tag me if she does anything egregious because I won't see her posts.

• Funny
  • Agree
  • Jizztastic
Reactions: 8 users
I’ve just finished watching Emma (2020) and loved it even more than the Gwenyth version. Anya Taylor Joy is a perfect Emma, imo.

I also finished Breakfast at Tiffany’s but found it quite slow and difficult to engage with. I am slightly crushed—I really wanted to love it. I might start the book and see if that’s any better.

I also finished Breakfast at Tiffany’s but found it quite slow and difficult to engage with. I am slightly crushed—I really wanted to love it. I might start the book and see if that’s any better.
I liked the movie, but that’s probably just because I love Audrey so much and she’s been such a huge inspiration to me for years. If you haven’t watched Roman Holiday you definitely should, it’s my favourite Audrey movie by far and much more engaging.

In saying that, I have read Breakfast at Tiffany’s and I liked the book a lot better than the movies. There are quite a few big differences (starting with the fact that Holly is blonde!), especially the ending, but it’s very funny and I found it much more engaging than the movie adaptation.

• Agree
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
I liked the movie, but that’s probably just because I love Audrey so much and she’s been such a huge inspiration to me for years. If you haven’t watched Roman Holiday you definitely should, it’s my favourite Audrey movie by far and much more engaging.

In saying that, I have read Breakfast at Tiffany’s and I liked the book a lot better than the movies. There are quite a few big differences (starting with the fact that Holly is blonde!), especially the ending, but it’s very funny and I found it much more engaging than the movie adaptation.

I’m sure you’re right r.e. Tiffany’s the book. I’ve read other Capote works and enjoyed them. The film was definitely missing a sense of humour; it all got quite bleak towards the end.

I will definitely give Roman Holiday a watch. For the pixie cut alone!

I always wonder how Breakfast at Tiffany's would look if we had ended up with Capote's preferred casting choice, Marilyn Monroe. The film has become so iconic largely due to Audrey's performance, but it could have been Marilyn's opportunity to become recognised as a more serious actress (which she tried to accomplish with The Misfits, which was released the same year as Tiffany's).

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I don't have one "favourite movie" per se, but I really enjoyed "A man called Ove" (En man heter Ove.) It's incredibly heartwarming, portrays intergenerational friendships, and touches on how a family isn't only "blood ties" but can be the people you choose to surround yourself with. As a child of immigrants, most of our "family" in Canada is a small collection of longstanding family friends. I rewatched it with my family and they really enjoyed it. This is also one of those movies where the book is even better, so I recommend giving that a read too.

Ove.jpg

If anyone has watched the American remake "A man called Otto" with Tom Hanks, please let me know if it's any good. My partner is not a huge fan of watching live-action movies with subtitles but I desperately want to share this gem with him. Unfortunately, last time we tried to watch an American remake of a movie, we had to switch to the original in less than ten minutes because it was SO BAD, despite the remake having really good ratings (The Bird Cage vs La Cage aux Folles) for anyone curious.

And for those who have already seen and enjoyed "A man called Ove," I strongly recommend "Hunt for the Wilderpeople." It's a New Zealand independent movie that touches on some similar themes.

Wilderpeople.PNG

• Love
Reactions: 4 users