Fat Pride Burns My Hide

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Skinny Gurl, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Skinny Gurl

Skinny Gurl The Boss
    Staff Member VIP

2. Softkitty

Softkitty Guest

Could Fat Pride be the cause of an increasing problem?

My biggest problem with big is beautiful is that it is conditioning an overweight unhealthy society to believe that being fat is not only acceptable but something to be celebrated. A 2003 study shows that now many are in fact unaware how overweight and unhealthy they are. The study, located at http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v27/n7/full/0802293a.html found that a disturbingly large percentage of overweight individuals believe they are a healthy weight. I can't help but wonder if this dangerous trend is at least in part influenced by our society's demand that one can be beautiful and healthy and still be fat.

3. Victoria

Victoria Guest

fat pride is just an excuse

I think fat pride is really only there to make larger people feel okay about themselves. Its not pretty, healthy or practical, but it does give them an excuse to carry on the way they are. Come on, fat people probably don't like being told that they should stop pigging out and hit the gym instead, they're a lot happier believing that its not just okay to be chubby, its beautiful! (EW) I think they need a good wake-up call and be told that its not okay, rolls don't count as curves, and they really need to sort themselves out!

4. ailsa2711

ailsa2711 Guest

Totall agree! Think there is a fine line between 'curvy' and 'fat'. It should not be celebrated or encouraged, being fat is unhealthy.

5. gmn

gmn Guest

I'd support anyone in being happy whatever size they are, or want to be, but to call it beautiful is taking things a step too far. Skinny just looks better.

6. Cat

Cat Guest

This. So much. I mean, if you are happy at your size, I'm not going to mess with you. It is your body. However, you shouldn't lie to yourself and say that you are "the healthiest you have ever been." If you are overweight, and not a serious athlete, you probably aren't super healthy.

The fat pride gives people an excuse to be unhealthy.

7. AnnaLeah Rose

Banned

(I'm responding to the portion that I underlined.) You're so right. Some people think that fat = curvy = good. Not so. Even though I personally don't want to be anything other than skinny, I think that for other people, curvy can look good. However, fat? Not so much: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=curvy+vs.+fat&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4TSNF_enUS444US444&biw=1311&bih=534&tbm=isch&tbnid=TSaMnF1IJQe49M:&imgrefurl=http://intentious.com/2011/03/09/are-thin-women-not-real/fat-curvy-slender/&docid=gXiqyBcinCihuM&imgurl=http://intentious.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/fat-curvy-slender.jpg&w=1255&h=749&ei=CH8YT7fzB8zEsQL3-aXPCw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=891&vpy=71&dur=4898&hovh=173&hovw=291&tx=144&ty=117&sig=115713529115004047077&page=1&tbnh=127&tbnw=213&start=0&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0

8. Samira

Samira Guest

Agreed!

I mean, if they want women to look "healthy" because runway models are "too thin", then why don't they show healthy women with a BMI of 21? Extremely skinny isn't a good idea, but neither is extremely fat. If "Fat Pride" is about body acceptance, then surely they should stop promoting extreme ideals and celebrate the average?

Oh, wait, I forgot "Fat Pride" was about lardy women who are too weak-willed and lazy to try to be skinny. I CAN BE OBESE AND HEALTHY TOO U GUYZ~~~

9. livingdoll

livingdoll Guest

I feel really sorry for the skinny model who appeared in that article pressed up naked against the Chub Monster. Honestly? Would they expect a fat woman to pose an article where they were criticising fatness? What a horrible thing to do to that girl; they're basically telling her that her body represents ugliness whilst trying to prove the point that people should be more accepting of the female shape. Double standards much?

10. TinyEmma

TinyEmma Guest

Exactly! Well said!

I cannot stand it when obviously fat people declare themselves as "curvy". It's like you're fooling yourself but you aint fooling the rest of us who can see you for the disgusting chubster that you are. xx

#10 TinyEmma, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012
  11. etoilevineta

etoilevineta Guest

YES. GOD. It happens all over Facebook all the time and I hate keeping my mouth shut. A seriously hideous person from way back in high school posted a picture of herself, at least 70 pounds overweight, in skinny jeans ready for a night out, with the caption "Big curvy girl are in style too!"

I'll leave the spelling out of it, but--I honestly think that curvy is based on bone structure and genetics, not on how much food you pour into your mouth. If you have a large bust, a small waist, and wider hips, you qualify as curvy. You know. Scarlett Johansson curvy. You qualify as "fat" if you have fat rolls. Stop snagging the "curvy" description from legit curvy girls.

12. TinyEmma

TinyEmma Guest

Here here! :) This is what I'm talking about!

13. lyssa

lyssa Guest

This is exactly how I feel! I hate when people try to make overweight sound better by calling it "curvy". Curvy is just your WHR, and skinny people can be curvy.

14. deirdre

deirdre Guest

Very true.

This whole "fat acceptance" idea is just an excuse to keep staying fat, and/or trying to make their obese selves feel better about their condition.
    An exercise in futility, in both cases, imho.

15. Samira

Samira Guest

^^^^ This.

16. Quill

Quill Guest

Has anyone seen THIS video series before? It's a documentary called "Fat and Proud"

*Warning: it's full of awful, ignorant FAT girls ... whales...*

17. deirdre

deirdre Guest

One of the scariest lines - "...and with Britain getting fatter, their voices will only get louder."

18. Anna

Anna Grand Dame

I think a grown up sane person has the right to be whatever weight they want... I believe in liberty. If you want to be fat, go ahead.
    However, if you have made the lifestyle choice (doesn't go for those with any conditions) to be overweight/obese and believe you are at an healthy weight, you pretty much have body dysmorphic disorder. A skinny girl believing she's not skinny and needs to get thinner has body dysmorphic disorder, why don't people realize an overweight girl who doesn't know her weight is unhealthy and eats is exactly the same.
    And I agree with all of you that curvy =/= extra pounds, as well as a glamorous body =/= chubby. Girls who are actually curvy (natural body shape) are not the same as a girl who is 20 pounds overweight, has big boobs because of it and has no waist.

19. Anna

Anna Grand Dame

Okay, so it's mean to shout stuff at strangers. But surely these women would approve of a night club and dance class exclusively for girls UK size 8 and under then? If this "fat movement" takes over the world then it might be necessary...

And I agree: they do sound ignorant. Stop saying you're better than everyone 'cos you're fat?! -.-

20. fels

fels Rising Star

Let's be fair, it should be based on bmi or something, otherwise curvy skinnies wouldn't get in!