Fat Doctor

Sakura

Rising Star
Sep 29, 2014
Wyoming
I couldn't find a thread on this series, so I thought It'd be a good idea to create one about it. This series is about morbidly obese people who desire to lose weight by going through gastric bypass surgery. Dr.Shaw Somers, otherwise known as the Fat Doctor, is a bariatric surgeon who performs life-saving gastric bypass surgery in attempt to help the morbidly obese lose weight, and live long, healthy, happy lives. It's quite inspirational, and very interesting. This show really opens my eyes up, and makes me realize that binge eating disorder is a real thing, and how destructive, and addicting it really is.

I just got finished watching this one episode of the "Fat Doctor", **WARNING SPOILER ALERT**, and It really shocked me. This episode is about a woman named Sharon who is 5'2, and 560lbs. Once Sharon gets gastric bypass surgery, she loses somewhere around 210-280 pounds. She became obsessed with losing weight, and results to starving herself in attempt to lose more, and more pounds. She ended up developing anorexia, which caused her nutritional deficiencies. She lost all feeling in her arms, and legs, and was then put into a nursing home for 6 months so that she could receive 24 hour care. Sharon later on developed septicemia from bedsores, she was rushed to the hospital where she slipped into a coma, and passed away. This was a big shock to me, I had never thought that anyone who underwent gastric bypass surgery would become obsessed with losing weight to the point that they would starve themselves to death. She jumped from one eating disorder, to another. It's a real eye opener to me, and educates me on the struggles of binge eaters, and the morbidly obese. If you want a good show to watch, I would suggest the Fat Doctor.

Wow that is a really intense story. Disturbing and sad.
But also I find it pretty concerning that they were celebrating a 15 year old getting a lapband... That seems extreme
Thanks for the share. Interesting (although horrifying) viewing.

Wow that is a really intense story. Disturbing and sad.
But also I find it pretty concerning that they were celebrating a 15 year old getting a lapband... That seems extreme
Thanks for the share. Interesting (although horrifying) viewing.
Yes, I found that a little extreme as well, but I guess that the 15 year old boys mother was terrified of him becoming like her, so she did what she thought was right to help him. I'm not saying that it's right, or wrong that the boy got a lap-band, but I understand why he got one.
You're welcome, thank you for taking the time to read my post!

This show is very similar to My 600lb Life and very sad. Most of these people have had terrible life experiences and limited financial resources.

I hate that surgery is always promoted as the solution. These people have severe eating disorders and should have access to therapy and treatment centers. I hate seeing how emaciated they look after surgery even when they are still overweight. It's so sad the way their bodies are being robbed of nutrients after surgery.