fashion & drugs

As tragic and sad as many cautionary drug tales are, they're often overly simplistic. Usually, the drugs in the story are illicit ones, and we're supposed to forget that:

1. Most illicit drugs are far less dangerous than the most commonly-abused legal drugs (alcohol, nicotine, oxycodone, valium, etc.)

2. Most illicit drugs are dangerous because of the law, not because of the drug.

For example - do you know why marijuana is so dangerous in many places? Because if you get caught with it, you'll go to jail, you'll lose your job, you'll lose your eligibility for student loans, etc...

Another example - you know how sometimes you hear about people getting "bad pills" at raves, clubs, etc.? Well, MDMA (ecstasy) is a really, really safe drug. But it's also really expensive, so people cut it (or replace it entirely) with a lot of cheap shit that isn't very safe at all.

Anyway, most tragic drug stories I hear are about people falling victim to the prohibition regime, not the drugs themselves.

I mean, if having orange juice was a capital crime, do you know how dangerous it would be?

Lots of shit - legal and illegal - is dangerous when abused. Educate yourself, moderate, and be careful. When in doubt, don't.

:kiss:

Agreed. Reminds me of when I was dating a narcotics addict and he had gallbladder surgery (a very common and relatively easily to recover from surgery) and the doctor prescribed him 550 mg of oxycontin. Was there a single mention of his addiction of painkillers? Nope.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. Reminds me of when I was dating a narcotics addict and he had gallbladder surgery (a very common and relatively easily to recover from surgery) and the doctor prescribed him 550 mg of oxycontin. Was there a single mention of his addiction of painkillers? Nope.

Thats exactly the point and also what annoys me the most. I also know several narcotics addicts and its not seldom that those people say stuff like "Weed is a bad drug, it should stay illegal" while they drop narcotics like candy and don´t even realize that they are addicted. Its double moral standard. I don´t get it.

So if you'd need it, would you take some again? Or it's not worth it?

Yes I would, but only if I were REALLY crunched to meet a deadline. The meds helped me focus on my work rather than obssess counterproductively about the work I still have left or how tired I am, etc. ect. Although coming down from it was really stressful, it was the lesser of two evils, so to speak.
I also think that the miserable next-day experience could be avoided relatively easily. I still had a lot to do when I was coming down last time, which was an emotinally unstable combination.
If I did it again, I'd definitely make sure that I had the day after compeletly free to relax at home and recover wthout anything to stress me out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa what? they provide drugs? what if they fall off the runway or something...

Oxycodone = hillbilly heroin. Pain Pills are such a huge problem in the US, especially in my area. Pain meds/opiates are pretty much the worst when it comes to ODing. You just stop breathing.

And high five to AB for his post about legal drugs being just as bad and sometimes worst than the illicit drugs. It's Effed up but it's true.

Oxycodone = hillbilly heroin. Pain Pills are such a huge problem in the US, especially in my area. Pain meds/opiates are pretty much the worst when it comes to ODing. You just stop breathing.

And high five to AB for his post about legal drugs being just as bad and sometimes worst than the illicit drugs. It's Effed up but it's true.

This. the double standard is out of control.

I guess one difference between legal and illegal is that if you take something legal as prescribed and don't abuse it, it's not going to kill you. But one bad batch of something illicit can. Like, I've taken morphene in hospital and I didn't die, but I've known a couple of people die of dodgy skag.

On the whole this makes me support legalisation, because dirty drugs kill a lot of people or make them sick, and legal drugs could be controlled for adulteration. I can say that the great majority of people I know do or have done drugs, and the fact it was illegal did not put them off, so I don't believe prohibition is particularly effective. Making drugs illegal just makes them a far riskier thing to do, and it means that people who get into trouble wait until it's too late to get help, because they're scared of getting involved with the law, losing their jobs and the social reaction generally. It was seeing the consequences of taking too much that made me decide it wasn't good for me any more, as well as the fact that I'm pretty invested in other things now that don't mix well with being out of it - nothing to do with wanting to obey the law. In fact I know plenty of (idiotic) people who won't take an asprin when they have a headache because they 'don't like putting chemicals in their body', but are perfectly willing to entrust their neurochemistry to some guy they met in a club if they feel like getting high. :facepalm:

Anyway, by the sounds of it fashion has the same attitude to drugs as any group with money, stress and a lot of young folk, and which puts a lot of importance on creativity and social connections.

Kind of funny, I consider myself to be an addictive personality, but I HATE pain pills. I took them for surgery recovery, and :superpuke:

Kind of funny, I consider myself to be an addictive personality, but I HATE pain pills. I took them for surgery recovery, and :superpuke:

Same. The thing, however, is that just because you may be an addictive personality doesn't mean that you will automatically become addicted to addictive things (and just so we are clear I need to use the word addiction just one more time to set a world record for a sentence :p)

Coke is amazing for your weight. and like my fellow VIP said, sex ;)
Pills/MDMA also make you completely lose your appetite too but only for partying- you seem crazy walking around on those during the day ;)
I'll quite often do MDMA instead of drinking loads of alcohol if i go to a party... no cals and you have a good time!
Weed is okay, recreationally, but like the others said your appetite goes insane on the comedown.
Speed is pretty good. like having a load of espressos without the mental shakes/sickness...

Is getting addicted as easy as people say?

Coke is amazing for your weight. and like my fellow VIP said, sex ;)
Out of curiosity, how does coke work for weight loss? I heard that the effects of each line don't last very long, so does that mean that you have to do lines all day long if you're doing it to stay thin? And does it work by speeding up your metabolism, or by suppressing your appetite?

I'm not asking for any personal reasons whatsoever...I'm just curious about how it works :nervous:

Out of curiosity, how does coke work for weight loss? I heard that the effects of each line don't last very long, so does that mean that you have to do lines all day long if you're doing it to stay thin? And does it work by speeding up your metabolism, or by suppressing your appetite?

I'm not asking for any personal reasons whatsoever...I'm just curious about how it works :nervous:

In my experience, it depends on the quality of the drug. The coke where I live is cut so much that the effect is minimal and short lived. I've used it in wealthier circles in London where it was a lot better. I used to use speed (don't use anything now as it didn't work out well for me personally) and that completely took away my appetite and I was very, very active so consequently constantly burning. Unfortunately, this as a benefit was totally outweighed by the hideous comedown that I always ended up with.

Personally, me and drugs don't go but I take no issue with anyone who uses them, providing they're mindful of potential consequences. If used sensibly and safely, why not.

I've never worked in a field as demanding as fashion but I understand from my sister who interned for a big, big London designer, drugs where everywhere in the women's design department - not so much about weight but more to sustain incredibly long and busy working hours on minimal sleep.