Eugenia Cooney

Cash skeleton? Cash stick bug? Cash...feral puppy? I'm having trouble thinking of creative new phrases because no animal is this skinny

You're right.. i wasnt actually calling her a "cow" in the literal sense.. cash cow is a phrase for someone who makes a lot of money
Cash skeleton sounds about right ☹️

You're right.. i wasnt actually calling her a "cow" in the literal sense.. cash cow is a phrase for someone who makes a lot of money
Cash skeleton sounds about right ☹️
Oh, I didn't think you were! It's just the word "cow" feels wrong within a 20-mile radius of discussion about this girl, even when it's an idiom.

@Ellie @FailedSupermodel

growthshare.gif

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...97043e57a22_story.html?utm_term=.fa4b23794ebd

this happened to a girl in New Jersey recently; she was older than Eugenia and had a similar bmi i'm guessing (60 lbs at any height is extremely emaciated)

I can't understand why nothing is being done to treat Eugenia then... I'm not too familiar with the US health care system, but if someone wanted to kill themselves by any other method, I can't imagine a hospital releasing them.

It's still incredibly difficult to accomplish, and varies state by state in the US under civil commitment laws. Some states it's more lax so to speak, others it's harder.

Though there is scientific support for the use of involuntary hospitalizations for severe anorexia patients, other research has found it can be of detriment, particularly with seeking further treatment for the psychosocial issues underlying the ED.

Eugenia almost certainly meets the "requirements" for refeeding in a given hospital (based on BMI, heart rate, blood pressure, temp, etc), but despite our conjecture it'd be up to a court to determine her competence.
RTEmagicC_CP015030054_t1.jpg.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
It's still incredibly difficult to accomplish, and varies state by state in the US under civil commitment laws. Some states it's more lax so to speak, others it's harder.

Though there is scientific support for the use of involuntary hospitalizations for severe anorexia patients, other research has found it can be of detriment, particularly with seeking further treatment for the psychosocial issues underlying the ED.

Eugenia almost certainly meets the "requirements" for refeeding in a given hospital (based on BMI, heart rate, blood pressure, temp, etc), but despite our conjecture it'd be up to a court to determine her competence.
I've always been under the impression that she's Canadian, at least I've seen several people refer to this - haven't bothered to check up on the details, but there might be a chance she's not a part of the US health system at all?

I've always been under the impression that she's Canadian, at least I've seen several people refer to this - haven't bothered to check up on the details, but there might be a chance she's not a part of the US health system at all?
I'd looked it up just now to confirm, but she's American. I'm not interested enough to look at which states though or more particulars.

I'd looked it up just now to confirm, but she's American. I'm not interested enough to look at which states though or more particulars.
I have a vague memory that it might be Connecticut?

I have a vague memory that it might be Connecticut?
She is indeed from Connecticut.

She's also recently moved away from her parents (mother and brother, at least, though she has spoken of her father 'coming home' to that house) to her own apartment in LA.

To be honest, while it does look like she is sick, I don’t think a court should have the option of declaring her incompetent. There is a big difference between what she should do/what is in her best interest, and what a judge should legally be able to impose and force physically onto someone.

There are severe cases in which it would make sense for temporary mandated hospitalization to happen (for instance if the person’s body is going through a major medical issue (stopped breathing, heart attack, etc), however legally I would be opposed to any law that would strengthen or expand this. As someone that was in a position where people were unjustifiably trying to force me into treatment I am acutely aware of how laws and criteria can be manipulated. For instance the DSM V would classify myself and many others on here as anorexic, simply for the fact that we wish to maintain a lower than “healthy range” body weight and don’t “understand” that this is dangerous for our health (though I know I feel better and am actually more healthy at a lower weight than I was eating shit at a higher weight).

I am not trying to imply at all that what we do is the same as Eugenia. However, when laws contain subjective language (does this period understand x, appreciate the consequences of x, act in their best interest, etc.) it can be used to apply and pressure people that really are not mentally ill at all like myself and any others on here. Not to be cliche, but it is a slippery slope, and lends itself to tyranny of the majority.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: 3 users
To be honest, while it does look like she is sick, I don’t think a court should have the option of declaring her incompetent. There is a big difference between what she should do/what is in her best interest, and what a judge should legally be able to impose and force physically onto someone.

There are severe cases in which it would make sense for temporary mandated hospitalization to happen (for instance if the person’s body is going through a major medical issue (stopped breathing, heart attack, etc), however legally I would be opposed to any law that would strengthen or expand this. As someone that was in a position where people were unjustifiably trying to force me into treatment I am acutely aware of how laws and criteria can be manipulated. For instance the DSM V would classify myself and many others on here as anorexic, simply for the fact that we wish to maintain a lower than “healthy range” body weight and don’t “understand” that this is dangerous for our health (though I know I feel better and am actually more healthy at a lower weight than I was eating shit at a higher weight).

I am not trying to imply at all that what we do is the same as Eugenia. However, when laws contain subjective language (does this period understand x, appreciate the consequences of x, act in their best interest, etc.) it can be used to apply and pressure people that really are not mentally ill at all like myself and any others on here. Not to be cliche, but it is a slippery slope, and lends itself to tyranny of the majority.

Right. In addition, it would be unethical (to hospitalize her involuntary). She's a legally grown-up woman and unless diagnosed with any disorder proven to affect a person's ability to make rational decisions (talking about dementia, amnesia, etc. just to name a few), it would be unethical...

I really hope she gets better. It's a hard path, but I wholeheartedly wish she would gather strength and keep on living...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I’m gonna add my two cents here in regards to being forced into hospitalization because in Eugenia’s case I don’t think it’s unethical.

There’s a point with Anorexia where your brain is so starved you are physically and mentally thinking and rationalizing things differently. It’s not only that the brain receives dopamine when ED behaviors are acted on but you actually think differently. When I was really sick I remember doctors, psychiatrists, and therapists telling me that I was so malnourished that I was rationalizing food and such differently than I would previously and I remember thinking “no way, that’s not true. I did this to me, I chose to do this to myself.” They called it “Brain Fog.”
Chronic starviation actually changes the way the brain processes certain things.

“With extreme starvation and malnutrition, the brain will actually shrink in size, which decreases the amount of gray and white matter.

This can result in a confused state, inability to concentrate, forgetfulness, depression, apathy, etc. These symptoms are frequently seen the person with anorexia who is underfed. On the outside, it may seem that this individual is disconnected, unable to engage in conversation, and withdrawn. The reality behind it is that their brain is literally unable to function properly due to the lack of nutrition available to the body.” - source

I remember a girl who was brought to my unit with body guards from the plane to the building to keep her from trying to runaway (they were also very rich ;) ). I didn’t want to believe it then but you really aren’t the same person and you don’t think the same way.

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users
I would like to clarify that I'm only for forced hospitalization in cases like Eugenia where people dip below a BMI of 11-12, or when they start having severe weight-related health problems as @Golden ice said. Even for legitimate cases of eating disorders, most physicians in Canada avoid inpatient treatment and forced feeding/forcing weight gain because it can be extremely traumatic for a patient and push them further into their ED. It's only used in extreme cases where the patient is highly in danger unless re-feeding is begun. However, anorexia nervosa does have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness, just as someone who is repeatedly attempting suicide would be involuntarily admitted/sectioned, so should someone who is dying of an ED.

Some physicians even talk of "terminal anorexia", where it is clear that the patient will never recover and likely die of starvation so they are offered palliative-like care. Pain management, etc.

(Sorry if my sentences aren't quite clear, I'm so sleep deprived I feel drunk lol)

• Agree
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
Adding my two cents on involuntary hospitalization - I don’t know about the specific legislation in the US but I would imagine the reasoning is similar to Canada. Here, a patient may be declared incompetent if they are not able to reasonably appreciate the consequences of a proposed treatment and its impact on their quality of life (i.e. they may choose not to undergo it anyway so long as they understand what the results may be).

This is best illustrated by Neto v. Klukach, where Neto, a woman with bipolar affective disorder, refused antipsychotic drugs. Her doctor applied to the Consent and Capacity Board to have her declared incompetent, which was granted, but Neto appealed. The Court found that although she had various delusions (such as believing she was the Queen of Portugal!) those delusions did not relate to her treatment. She was able to appreciate that without antipsychotic drugs, her symptoms would not decrease - so the Court overturned the CCB’s decision and found her capable under Canada’s Health Care Consent Act (and under rulings made by the Supreme Court in precedents such as Starson v. Swayze, also a fascinating case if anyone is interested).

Obviously I don’t know how this applies to Eugenia, as I don’t understand the facts of her case. However - and this is the case with a lot of anorexic patients, at least in Canada - if she were to state that “yes, people who starve themselves die, but I’m not starving myself so I’m not going to die” she would be found incapable and hospitalized involuntarily. I would assume a similar precedent has been set in the US - although they’re much more litigious when it comes to health care, so it’s hard to say for sure without sifting through all of the statutes and precedents.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users
I honestly hope she won’t read this remark, this could make a sick person starve themselves just because someone said so... But her thighs do look a tiny tad bit better?
I doubt she reads here. Plus, you should read the amount of people calling her straight up fat on her YouKnow.

There must be some part of her that wants recovery, but the limelight she is in will not help

• Sad
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users
I hate her style and how she wears her hair and her makeup. She has an awful taste in music. (Sorry, I know, each to their own but hers is horrible.) She's fan of shitty children's stuff and collects plushies of Pokémon and shit - how old is she? Six? On Instagram she always takes selfies and on YouTube the content of her clips puts you to sleep. Mostly it is ugly clothes or makeup which is too shrill for leaving the house or it is recreating something from the past or doing something with her MOM. So if we put anorexia aside: Why is anybody follow her? Anorexia sells I guess. :nervous:

• Sad
  • Agree
I hate her style and how she wears her hair and her makeup. She has an awful taste in music. (Sorry, I know, each to their own but hers is horrible.) She's fan of shitty children's stuff and collects plushies of Pokémon and shit - how old is she? Six? On Instagram she always takes selfies and on YouTube the content of her clips puts you to sleep. Mostly it is ugly clothes or makeup which is too shrill for leaving the house or it is recreating something from the past or doing something with her MOM. So if we put anorexia aside: Why is anybody follow her? Anorexia sells I guess. :nervous:

There's definitely an audience of people who are into the "cutesy" anime Pokemon scene girl thing. Plus, she does popular trend videos that most Youtubers do. I don't think her whole following is entirely ingenuine but it's fair to say that most of the comments on her videos are concerning her health and well-being.

But I have full faith she'd still have the same following even if she didn't have an eating disorder. Even though her personality isn't my thing, it caters to the "quirky scene kid" crowd which is still alive and well, even though they're not as popular as they once were.

• Agree