Eugenia Cooney

At this point it doesn't matter what her "medical problem" is, if someone doesn't intervene & get her medical help she's going to die. Even the blindest most clueless person should be able to see this??

• Agree
Reactions: 12 users
Anyway, she basically admitted to anorexia and it is evident her family enable her for the cash.

Followed the link you posted and found this:

I think she might be one of the few people with a page on this website where if she gained, we'd all be thrilled.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
My friend met her at vidcon and she looked so sick :( I truly hope she gets help soon
IMG_1988.jpg

this will sound odd, but what does she 'feel' like? I mean she looks like a carcass (I'm sorry for my candidness)
He said she felt like a bag of bones, and he felt like he would break her if he hugged her any tighter.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
View attachment 13082 Why does she always angle her limbs inward....like she's trying to envelop herself....

I think originally she did it with her legs to highlight her thigh gap, but i dont think that's why she does it anymore.

It's symptomatic of muscle wastage that maintaining correct posture becomes actually impossible- you do not have the musculature and strength to use proper posture and to move through proper postures with this level of wastage. While initially she chose to move certain ways (as part of her style), having lost more muscle mass, she probably cant correct posture easily now, may need physical therapy to rebuild core musculature to do things like sit upright and stand more than an hour a day, etc... but physical therapy cant be productive til her caloric balance is positive and her weight out of absolute-emergency zone. (While i'm not a doctor, i say this from personal experience... I had physical therapy delayed in the past for this reason, and my weight/muscle wastage was nowhere near eugenia's.).

It's interesting that so many people comment on her poor posture, and so many comment on her visible muscle wastage in limbs-- but they dont tie these together. If she have such severe visible muscle wastage, her postural muscles are likely wasted, too. She can no longer fix her posture through choice/discipline/pilates or whatever it takes in a normal case, she's beyond that.

• Sad
  • Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: 11 users
I think originally she did it with her legs to highlight her thigh gap, but i dont think that's why she does it anymore.

It's symptomatic of muscle wastage that maintaining correct posture becomes actually impossible- you do not have the musculature and strength to use proper posture and to move through proper postures with this level of wastage. While initially she chose to move certain ways (as part of her style), having lost more muscle mass, she probably cant correct posture easily now, may need physical therapy to rebuild core musculature to do things like sit upright and stand more than an hour a day, etc... but physical therapy cant be productive til her caloric balance is positive and her weight out of absolute-emergency zone. (While i'm not a doctor, i say this from personal experience... I had physical therapy delayed in the past for this reason, and my weight/muscle wastage was nowhere near eugenia's.).

It's interesting that so many people comment on her poor posture, and so many comment on her visible muscle wastage in limbs-- but they dont tie these together. If she have such severe visible muscle wastage, her postural muscles are likely wasted, too. She can no longer fix her posture through choice/discipline/pilates or whatever it takes in a normal case, she's beyond that.

Along the same lines (but tangential, apologies), I've assisted in a therapy session (featuring the official PT & OT in a ward) with a patient who was emaciated, around the same level or slightly worse than Eugenia is, except this woman was a decade or so older.

The fat pockets by the patient's eyes and on the side of the skull were gone, sunken in. She had recently become incontinent due to muscle wastage (not so fun fact, nearly 2/3rds of anorexia nervosa patients have weak bladders or incontinence). She had foam padding placed over her tailbone and along the cervical spine (upper spine) so her skin didn't break down just from the bones sticking out against the bed/chair.

What we did for her was just sit her up in bed, get her standing, and walk her to the bathroom a couple feet away. This was a lot for her. The purpose was to evaluate her balance (just standing with support and walking with support, not like stand on one foot balance) and to prevent blood clots by getting her moving a little bit.

Your talk of PT, posture, & individuals with muscle wastage made me think of this patient. While Eugenia's function in basic daily living tasks is probably somewhat acceptable at this stage, meaning she dresses herself, bathes herself, and so on - it doesn't take anything but time really for her to slip into the territory the above patient was in.

• Sad
  • Useful
Reactions: 8 users
That was genuinely hard to read, @gracilis. Is there typically a BMI at which patients start struggling in basic daily living, or does functioning vary across individuals?

That was genuinely hard to read, @gracilis. Is there typically a BMI at which patients start struggling in basic daily living, or does functioning vary across individuals?
...It was hard to see and be near, honestly. As is common, she lacked insight into the degree of her malnutrition and impairment which made her very unsafe.

This is not an area I have extensive training/experience in, so I can only answer more generally: it's different for everyone, and depends on factors beyond BMI.

Basically, in acute care, a code/classification will be made for the patient's level of malnutrition severity (usually labelled as 'protein calorie malnutrition') based on a standardized list of factors, such as:
  • Weight stuff: BMI, recent or progressive weight loss (especially unintended loss)
  • Physical, visible stuff: visible wasting of muscle & fat tissue/physical things you can note (ex. temporal wasting - the hollows at the temples, where it looks like skin over a skull)
  • Risk factors: like alcoholism or GI disorders and so on that could make malnutrition more likely and more dangerous
  • Blood work: low albumin, anemia, transferrin, etc. that let us know what's going on inside his/her body
Generic standards say that BMI <16.0 is severe, with a myriad of medical consequences to that, People can and do die with BMI's at 15.X, and those that don't will have some level of damage to bones, organs, and so on. Heart issues are common as the heart muscle is consumed by the body.

BMI < 15
is recognized as emaciation with major medical consequences for being at that weight. For example, irreversible organ damage, or death.

While a somber topic, I hope this is a decent answer.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: 9 users
...It was hard to see and be near, honestly. As is common, she lacked insight into the degree of her malnutrition and impairment which made her very unsafe.

This is not an area I have extensive training/experience in, so I can only answer more generally: it's different for everyone, and depends on factors beyond BMI.

Basically, in acute care, a code/classification will be made for the patient's level of malnutrition severity (usually labelled as 'protein calorie malnutrition') based on a standardized list of factors, such as:
  • Weight stuff: BMI, recent or progressive weight loss (especially unintended loss)
  • Physical, visible stuff: visible wasting of muscle & fat tissue/physical things you can note (ex. temporal wasting - the hollows at the temples, where it looks like skin over a skull)
  • Risk factors: like alcoholism or GI disorders and so on that could make malnutrition more likely and more dangerous
  • Blood work: low albumin, anemia, transferrin, etc. that let us know what's going on inside his/her body
Generic standards say that BMI <16.0 is severe, with a myriad of medical consequences to that, People can and do die with BMI's at 15.X, and those that don't will have some level of damage to bones, organs, and so on. Heart issues are common as the heart muscle is consumed by the body.

BMI < 15
is recognized as emaciation with major medical consequences for being at that weight. For example, irreversible organ damage, or death.

While a somber topic, I hope this is a decent answer.

BMI below 15 seems a bit high to be considered like that. Mine is below that and has been for a long time, and I'm functioning completely normally in both physical and mental capacities. I'd say Eugenia's BMI must be well below 15 based on the pics I've seen on here.

To put what a BMI of 15 is in perspective, if you are 100lbs or under and 5'9" or taller, your BMI is below 15.

Not trying to disagree with you as I know you were just stating what the establishment thought is, I'm disagreeing with the establishment view. I've dealt in the past with quite a bit of bullying, manipulation, and discrimination from people following standards like these, so I strongly feel there needs to be a review of this mentality within the medical industry.

BMI below 15 seems a bit high to be considered like that. Mine is below that and has been for a long time, and I'm functioning completely normally in both physical and mental capacities. I'd say Eugenia's BMI must be well below 15 based on the pics I've seen on here.

To put what a BMI of 15 is in perspective, if you are 100lbs or under and 5'9" or taller, your BMI is below 15.

Not trying to disagree with you as I know you were just stating what the establishment thought is, I'm disagreeing with the establishment view. I've dealt in the past with quite a bit of bullying, manipulation, and discrimination from people following standards like these, so I strongly feel there needs to be a review of this mentality within the medical industry.
I know some people here are near that BMI range, but I believe the majority of such users here are fastidious with their health and nutrient needs, which makes all they difference (and frame size contributes too). :flower:

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Right, BMI of 15 varies quite harshly, it looks completely different on different people.

I'm really worried for her (just like half of the internet is), you know - checking her youtube channel maybe once in a month and feeling scared she just might not be there anymore.

View attachment 18737 When your phone is bigger than your thigh....so sad that someone hasn't intervened at this point.
What would they do? She's above 18 to my knowledge, and in the US, for better or for worse, it is incredibly difficult to get some one hospitalized or in treatment without her consent. You could say her family is supporting her financially and could threaten to revoke that should she not get treatment, but actually following through with that threat would be incredibly difficult emotionally for the family and could just lead to hastened physical degradation of their daughter.

But I don't know the specifics. I'd find it very likely Eugenia has already had interventions via friends, family, doctors even, but has not responded to them. And, provided this is a self-inflicted state, her malnourished brain probably can not conceptualize the extent of her illness, as is common in anorectics.

• Agree
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
@gracilis I agree. I feel like if she had been in the UK she would have definitely been sectioned. The stark contrast between both health care systems amazes me.
I also keep forgetting that she's over 18, I think that at this point she might have some permanent brain damage. She sounds much, much younger.

@gracilis I agree. I feel like if she had been in the UK she would have definitely been sectioned. The stark contrast between both health care systems amazes me.
I also keep forgetting that she's over 18, I think that at this point she might have some permanent brain damage. She sounds much, much younger.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...97043e57a22_story.html?utm_term=.fa4b23794ebd

this happened to a girl in New Jersey recently; she was older than Eugenia and had a similar bmi i'm guessing (60 lbs at any height is extremely emaciated)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...97043e57a22_story.html?utm_term=.fa4b23794ebd

this happened to a girl in New Jersey recently; she was older than Eugenia and had a similar bmi i'm guessing (60 lbs at any height is extremely emaciated)

I can't understand why nothing is being done to treat Eugenia then... I'm not too familiar with the US health care system, but if someone wanted to kill themselves by any other method, I can't imagine a hospital releasing them.

I cannot believe how much muscle wastage she has. Her muscles look completely atrophied. I want her to get healthy. She deserves to live a long happy healthy life. I dont think its going to happen. I think shes going to die... and i think its going to cause a shitstorm. I think her family isnt stepping in because she is their cash cow.
IMG_4618.jpg
IMG_4620.jpg

Eugenia, if youre reading this, you can and probably would continue to be a cash cow if you gained. Although i know thats probably not why youre losing in the first place..

• Sad
  • Agree
  • Dislike
Reactions: 4 users