Engagement Rings

I know that especially in the USA there is a huge deal about engagements and engagement rings. Not so much in Germany, at least where I live.

I know that my bf wants to propose and (ok beeing totally superficial here but) I'm afraid that I might not like the ring he's going to chose.

Did you smuggle a picture of rings you like in his wallet? Or did you show him? Or did your husband just have an incredible good taste? And do you know how much did your rings cost?

Thanks for your replies :kiss:

It's not superficial, you're going to wear that ring for (hopefully) the rest of your life, you need to love it! I don't see anything wrong with telling him what you like, I'd stop short at shopping for it with him, I think it's good for a man to choose the exact ring but you can tell him what metal, stone, cut you'd like ideally and see what he comes back with. I think it's a good indicator of how much effort he put into finding you the perfect ring.
I know the ball park figure of how much my ring cost, not the exact figure but somewhere close. It wasn't break the bank expensive but it wasn't cheap. My Britishness makes it hard for me to talk actual figures when it comes to money ;) I know he talked them down on the price too as he is incapable of paying full price for anything :rolleyes: so I don't know the actual ticket price.

Congrats and I hope you get the perfect ring for you!

@Nala
so you're back together? :party:

yes we are. the whole story is kind of complicated and sometimes i feel like people judge ne because i am still with him and now even or still want to marry him. but its our story and very personal.

@TubbsMcGee

thank you, you are right. i think i will show him what i like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think me & the man are getting pretty close, so I've been looking at rings seriously for the first time. I don't know why but I can't stop loving the classic tiffany setting (I even secretly went and tried it on last weekend with a girlfriend...lame?)
Everyone seems to think its basic, boring, and overpriced, but I :luv::luv:
The .9 carat was $18 000 though :wtf:
2u715c4.jpg

this is great news!! how do you know?

he told me when we had several serious conversations about him cheating and how our future will look like.

i totally feel you here. i always wondered how i would react if my bf would chose something ugly :nervous: .

i don't expect anything expensive. but i prefer gold over silver and maybe a tiny little diamond. i saw some nice rings online for maybe 200-300 euros. that would be enough.

he told me when we had several serious conversations about him cheating and how our future will look like.

i don't expect anything expensive. but i prefer gold over silver and maybe a tiny little diamond. i saw some nice rings online for maybe 200-300 euros. that would be enough.

that sounds nice! i like white gold very much, the "normal" gold is not my type. a small bling is fine for me aswell- classic and elegant. i also like 1 or 2 small stones on each side, one bigger in the middle:

215_0.JPG

I think me & the man are getting pretty close, so I've been looking at rings seriously for the first time. I don't know why but I can't stop loving the classic tiffany setting (I even secretly went and tried it on last weekend with a girlfriend...lame?)
Everyone seems to think its basic, boring, and overpriced, but I :luv::luv:
The .9 carat was $18 000 though :wtf:
2u715c4.jpg

I don't think it's basic,boring and overpriced at all!! But I'm biased as that is what I received from my husband. I think it's a true classic and really beautiful and not just because of the name. I hope you do consider it. It's simple but I think that's a good thing as it won't ever be out of fashion and you can't really get sick of the style. You'd be surprised at how often girls would reset their rings but you wouldn't do that with a Tiffany ring.
As for pricing, there's no doubt about the Tiffany premium but note that the Tiffany rings are cheaper in the States so you should think about a holiday over there! Otherwise you can just buy the diamond from a wholesaler and get it set in the Tiffany like setting. A couple of friends have done this too who wanted a larger stone. Anyway I am obsessed with Tiffany so there was no other way :)

I don't think it's basic,boring and overpriced at all!! But I'm biased as that is what I received from my husband. I think it's a true classic and really beautiful and not just because of the name. I hope you do consider it. It's simple but I think that's a good thing as it won't ever be out of fashion and you can't really get sick of the style. You'd be surprised at how often girls would reset their rings but you wouldn't do that with a Tiffany ring.
As for pricing, there's no doubt about the Tiffany premium but note that the Tiffany rings are cheaper in the States so you should think about a holiday over there! Otherwise you can just buy the diamond from a wholesaler and get it set in the Tiffany like setting. A couple of friends have done this too who wanted a larger stone. Anyway I am obsessed with Tiffany so there was no other way :)

Oh wow that's fantastic advice, I'll have to "accidentally" let him overhear me saying this to my girl friend :p thank you!

Seconded. It's sometimes even better to buy the stone separately, if you want to have a perfect clarity and higher carats. Usually the diamonds in store are not so good. And when it comes to stones, you can consider it an investment- flawless diamonds don't fluctuate much or deteriorate in value with time. That's one excuse for getting a pretty rock ;)

I pinned this in my wedding inspiration pinterest board:

b9dc828814e0cd5e473108f627223e91.jpg

My bf didn't have pinterest at that time, so I didn't think he'd see it, but a couple months ago while he was showing me some pictures he took on his phone, he accidentally swiped to a pic of that exact ring (except it looked like he clumsily snapped a picture of the computer screen showing the ring). He quickly changed the pic and I pretended I didn't see it :p

The only thing I'll change about this ring is the side pave. There's just way too much bling on this ring. I love the princess cut and the halo, with the ballerine style flanking the centre rock, but with the pave along the whole ring, it's too much. I want man-made diamonds as opposed to natural - I just find the whole diamond mining industry shady and inethical, plus man-made diamonds are technically diamonds after all, right?

I just got engaged! The ring is a family heirloom, a marquise cut 1.5k solitaire diamond on yellow gold. It is being sized down at the jewelers as we speak! it's a bit old fashioned but i love it!

I just got engaged! The ring is a family heirloom, a marquise cut 1.5k solitaire diamond on yellow gold. It is being sized down at the jewelers as we speak! it's a bit old fashioned but i love it!

Congratulations! I can't wait to see a picture, it sounds beautiful.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

@CallipygianRunner Thanks! I'll try to remember to post a picture once I get it back :)

congrats :kiss: i'd also love to see a picture :shy:

Best wishes!! Would love to see a picture - also, good luck with wedding planning!

I love antique rings -- my mother's engagement ring is a pave double halo ring that my great-grandmother won in a bet: it doesn't have a very large stone, but the micropave sparkles all over the place. It's a unique look I'll always associate with her!

(sort of looks like this, sans the baguettes on either side)
38950767aefa33a31654dd5bed14cacb.jpg

@Anri, that's a big ring!! It's gorgeous. Are you happy with it?? :D

Yup I love it. I'm only 20 so there aren't too many other girls my age who are engaged. I feel special lol