Hearbreak Hotel
Heartbreak-Hotel-Fashion-Editorial06.jpg
Heartbreak-Hotel-Fashion-Editorial01.jpg

Interview Magazine March 2017
Photographer: Mario Sorrenti
OrURZIud.jpg

BsBCs9jD.jpg

More reasons to love her:
After painful surgery and recovery, Oakville teen not just a model, but role model too

A 16-year-old model from Oakville, Ont., who made her Paris Fashion Week debut on Friday is not just remarkable because she's only been in the business for six months.

Emm Arruda was born with scoliosis, a sideways curvature of the spine that occurs most often during the growth spurt just before puberty.

She'd long been interested in modelling, but in a business that craves perfection, she didn't think the profession would ever be a possibility because of her condition.

"It made me self-conscious of my body. I wouldn't wear tight shirts or something with a symbol on it because you could see it was turned sideways," Arruda said between fittings and auditions in Paris.

She added that she would instead wear baggy clothing to hide the pronounced S-curve in her back.

Signed 6 months after surgery

Two years ago, Arruda had major surgery called spinal fusion. Doctors straightened her back using titanium rods and screws. These will grow together with the spinal bone, fusing it into the proper position.

"We were terrified of the surgery but Emm really wanted to do it so we supported her," said her mom, Liz Arruda. "I'm ready to cry just thinking about it."

Her recovery took six months. Meanwhile, a friend of her mother's sent photos of Arruda to modelling agent Chantale Nadeau, who wanted to sign her right away.

"She has this incredible posture and I figured out why later. Because of her scoliosis, she actually has a metal rod in her back, so she is very, very straight," said Nadeau.

Arruda's first appearance was at Toronto Fashion Week where she walked for fashion labels Mackage, Narces and Maram Paris. That was followed by appearances at New York Fashion Week and the chance to model for fashion powerhouse Dior during Paris Fashion Week.

Something special

Nadeau says booking agents seem to sense that there's something special about Arruda, even without knowing her full story.

"What she went through makes her really strong. And this is good for this industry because it's a tough industry. You have to take a lot of rejection and work really hard," Nadeau said.

Initially, Arruda says she'd hesitate when asked about the 40-centimetre scar running down the middle of her back.

"When I first started modelling I didn't want to tell people because I thought it was a bad thing … But then I realized it is a good thing. It can inspire other people and help other people," said Arruda.

After she posted before-and-after pictures of her surgery on Instagram, she received hundreds of messages, many from teens with scoliosis — and others just inspired by her story.

"A lot of girls on Instagram were texting her and asking about the surgery. She's someone they look up to. Not just a model — a role model," said her mother.

When they ask for advice, this is what Emm Arruda tells them: "You may not think that something is possible … but you can overcome anything if you actually believe that you can."

Also one of the 5 models that walked the most catwalks in Fashion Month – she walked 43 shows total, opening one and closing one.
http://en.vogue.fr/fashion/top-mode...ess-pw-jessie-bloemendaal-camille-hurel/41568
[along with Camille :luv:]

Instagram

and being cute with some other favorite new faces:

:luvluv:

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
She can be surprisingly versatile on the runway. I'm waiting to see more of her print work though! And her story is super inspiring.

Dior
emm-arruda_zpsxrj2e7k9.jpg

emm-arruda-proenza-schouler-dior-and-chanel.jpg

From left: Proenza Schouler, Christian Dior and Chanel
14607098_587812008081593_6107077950245437440_n.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Older:
tumblr_ovphaxi9mt1w8i9qdo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ovphaxi9mt1w8i9qdo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_ovphaxi9mt1w8i9qdo3_1280.jpg

Newest digitals (November 2017):
rHIYFxTJ_o.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
She's looking damn good in that black lace up body suit. Emm's face has always reminded me of someone but I just couldn't put my finger on it until now. She and FKA Twigs have similar face structure, particularly in the mouth area. Am I the only one who sees it?
637147E3-6760-4850-89FF-FCB7ED24E35E.jpeg
E5F90871-FCFF-4888-AD90-1027B3A3D518.jpeg

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Hate the collection but Emm looks amazing :luvluv:

7BDC373C-C453-4A9E-A2CC-7D377E12BA0F.jpeg

• Love
  • Agree
Reactions: 7 users
Louis Vuitton Pre-Fall 2023
oJd7Vxx.jpg

Chanel Resort 2024