Documentaries

Does anyone watch any 'vice' videos on youtube? They're quite short, sweet documentaries on heaps of topics. Such a good form of procrastination
I've watched a couple of these and think they're great and really touch on some interesting issues in a really informative way :)

I absolutely adore Modern History so some of my recent ones are:

The Tank Man

Vice - North Korea - absolutely fabulous as they film their visit

Vice - North Korean Labour Camps

Oh my gosh so many. If you like Modern History I can send you soooo many. WWII, USSR, WWI, Vietnam, Depression etc.

I also love Finance and Economic ones. So many hours spent watching them.

Reactions: 1 user
I absolutely loved the documentary "Picture Me" by former model Sara Ziff. It was a peak into the modeling industry in the mid-2000's and just kind of shows her as a model through the years and the various things she goes through. Very good watch. I actually watched it online for free, which is a plus (I think @Violet posted a link somewhere, not sure where though).

Here are the links she posted.

This documentary was very interesting and I thought some people here might enjoy it. It's about the model Sara Ziff.

Trailer

Free Version

Paid Version

Last edited by a moderator:
I absolutely adore Modern History so some of my recent ones are:

The Tank Man

Vice - North Korea - absolutely fabulous as they film their visit

Vice - North Korean Labour Camps

Oh my gosh so many. If you like Modern History I can send you soooo many. WWII, USSR, WWI, Vietnam, Depression etc.

I also love Finance and Economic ones. So many hours spent watching them.

hahaha my dad is OBSESSED with these! I've seen all of them :p

Happened upon this the other day.

It's about 'David Fisher' , supposedly the longest adherent of calorie restriction.
At 5 feet 10, he calorie restricts to 1600. He does this to retard aging.
I found it interesting due to the supposed aging differences they found between the presenter and him.

I definitely believe eating low cal but nutrient rich helps slow the aging process. Less oxidative stress on the body.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
for food docs, Fed Up (available on netflix) is pretty entertaining and pretty damn horrifying--a lot of basic/obvious info, but still worth watching--basically about the fast food industry conspiracy to get americans literally addicted to sugar with a lot of science and history backing their claims; and one i saw ages ago in my middle school health class but still stayd with me mentally, Supersize Me, where a relatively healthy average guy eats nothing but mdonalds for 30 some odd days and tracks how it destroys his health .__. pretty terrifying as well

It's not really a food documentary but I loved ''The Secret Life of The Manic Depressive'' by Stephen Fry. I'm not bipolar myself but I cried while watching it, it was very touching.

I hope this works:

I'm always interested in seeing more documentaries though! Could you perhaps give more some titels of great food documentaries that you enjoyed?

I've seen a lot of documentaries but I always forget titles. I remember Girl Model and Killing us Softly - though I'm not sure I can call that last one a documentary. I also liked the documentary Ballerina and A Year With The English National Ballet, both are on Youtube. Louis Theroux is always great. His documentary on nazis was very impressive.

I am bipolar and it was such a strange film to see, I felt so disassociated after. I am too affected by films as it is, and having on regarding this hurt a lot. It put more emotion in me than anything I've experienced.

I love those types of movies dealing with this subject, documentary or not. So more recommendations!

These are on Netflix, both about fashion.
Ultrasuede

Girl Model

The TV show an Idiot Abroad is hands-down top 3 funniest TV shows I've ever seen. I end up in tears and a ruptured spleen from laughing.

for food docs, Fed Up (available on netflix) is pretty entertaining and pretty damn horrifying--a lot of basic/obvious info, but still worth watching--basically about the fast food industry conspiracy to get americans literally addicted to sugar with a lot of science and history backing their claims; and one i saw ages ago in my middle school health class but still stayd with me mentally, Supersize Me, where a relatively healthy average guy eats nothing but mdonalds for 30 some odd days and tracks how it destroys his health .__. pretty terrifying as well

I actually just saw Fed Up as well! Basically, processed food = evil. There was this one bit where the mom of a severely obese boy was trying to help him lose weight and said something along the lines of, "He likes Hot Pockets, so now I get him Lean Pockets." :headbang: The boy didn't manage to lose any weight at the documentary, and it was so disheartening. If you want to feel absolutely frustrated and angry watching people let their lives fall apart because of what they decide to put in their mouths everyday, you need watch it.

I actually just saw Fed Up as well! Basically, processed food = evil. There was this one bit where the mom of a severely obese boy was trying to help him lose weight and said something along the lines of, "He likes Hot Pockets, so now I get him Lean Pockets." :headbang: The boy didn't manage to lose any weight at the documentary, and it was so disheartening. If you want to feel absolutely frustrated and angry watching people let their lives fall apart because of what they decide to put in their mouths everyday, you need watch it.

I just watched Fed Up last night on @sydvicious recommendation.

I can't believe what these parents were passing off as food and feeding their kids.
I was absolutely horrified. On one instance...an obese kid ( he is supposed to be on a diet) lists out what he ate for lunch at school to his mom.."burger..fries...juice AND milk" His mother has issue with him drinking both juice and milk and didn't blink an eye about the others. These parents are SO clueless about nutrition...how is this possible?!?

Someone explain to me....can't these kids pack their own lunch for school? These parents are so disconnected. They are even MORE clueless than their kids.

I watched Earthlings right before Christmas, just out of curiosity and not expecting anything, and I have never been hit as hard with a reality check.

Also suppressed my appetite more than anything to eat any animals forever

There is a new documentary about sugar called The Sugar Film, which I really enjoyed. It's quite recent I think. Basically it does not follow the typical "I will eat shit for x amount of days, let's see what happens" scenario. Rather he eats a certain amount of grams of sugar per day, but gets them from the foods that are labeled and marketed as healthy/diet/low-fat.

I've been on a huge dinosaur documentary kick lately. It's my inner child-nerd coming through I guess.

Earthlings - veganism
Cowspiracy - veganism
Blackfish - about the treatment of sea world captivity
I am - inspirational documentary on a personal level to anyone who watches it

All incredible and should be watched by all. Knowledge is power.

Not Quite Hollywood is a good documentary I saw recently about the Ozploitation in cinema in the 70's and 80's.
You can watch it on YouTube