Dita Von Teese

quipawiticism

Rising Star
Dec 21, 2014
Vancouver
I looked around and did a search, but couldn't find a thread on Dita. I wouldn't call her "thinspiration" per se, but she is quite petite, and I absolutely adore her. Despite having the "desirable, curvaceous" figure that men covet, she maintains such a graceful, soft spoken demeanour. It's like she was stuck in a time warp and arrived here from the 1940's. She has aged incredibly well, she's 44 years old!
I adore her, and her style.

dita1.jpg
dita2.jpg
dita3.jpg

I love Dita. She doesn't fit the mold here, but she is someone who seems to work hard for the body she wants and maintains it beautifully.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I love her. I think she's one of the few people who is able not to turn burlesque into something completely trashy. She's my definition of curvy, not fat.

• Agree
Reactions: 9 users
I love Dita. She just seems so elegant and put together, and she knows it. If I could age with even half as much grace as her, I'd be happy.

34be95ff73f83c18b1e8580da3632313.jpg

• Love
  • Agree
Reactions: 12 users
I have her book Burlesque and the Art of the Teese. It's mostly a picture book, but she does talk a bit about her childhood and how she got in to make-up, style, stripping, and eventually burlesque.

She shared an anecdote in it, where she went on a cruise with her family when she was around 10-12 (I don't have the book here, so I can't fact-check right now). Some older ladies that they had met mentioned when they thought she wasn't listening that her sisters were very beautiful, and it was "a shame about the other one" (Dita). So, she figured that if she wasn't born with it, she could manufacture it.

I always loved that story, because I really do think most people are (genetically) capable of being attractive, if they care for their body and their skin, learn how to do their make-up and hair in a way that suits them, and learns how to dress for their bodies, while obviously also practicing dicipline in their eating habits. If you in addition to that learn graceful movement, almost anybody can become something special.

Most people just aren't willing to put in the effort.

• Agree
Reactions: 16 users
I have her book Burlesque and the Art of the Teese. It's mostly a picture book, but she does talk a bit about her childhood and how she got in to make-up, style, stripping, and eventually burlesque.

She shared an anecdote in it, where she went on a cruise with her family when she was around 10-12 (I don't have the book here, so I can't fact-check right now). Some older ladies that they had met mentioned when they thought she wasn't listening that her sisters were very beautiful, and it was "a shame about the other one" (Dita). So, she figured that if she wasn't born with it, she could manufacture it.

I always loved that story, because I really do think most people are (genetically) capable of being attractive, if they care for their body and their skin, learn how to do their make-up and hair in a way that suits them, and learns how to dress for their bodies, while obviously also practicing dicipline in their eating habits. If you in addition to that learn graceful movement, almost anybody can become something special.

I wish I could "like" this x10000. As someone in the beauty industry, I totally agree.

That's a great story - I really admire people who take critique about themselves as motivation to improve or to work harder. It's a much better attitude that claiming that they were 'triggered' or something.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Super interesting story! I googled her sister and these pictures came up. I can see how her sister could be considered more traditionally pretty but Dita carries hersel with such grace and class, shes the one who really stands out.

3440f145d409f722b1242b6fe75013ae.jpg

Rachel+Pally+Celebrates+Fall+2013+Collection+2kCwEFMWwSHl.jpg

• Agree
Does anyone else have her book "Your Beauty Mark"? If I remember correctly it goes into her diet and exercise quite a bit, along with pretty much every other detail of her beauty routine. A wonderful read if you're interested in that sort of thing.

THIS. So much this.

My sister and I talk about this subject quite frequently -- often while watching shows such as My 600-lb Life or other self-improvement shows . . . or just when we see someone who's . . . unfortunate-looking.

I honestly believe that everyone has the potential to be attractive..

• Agree
That's a great story - I really admire people who take critique about themselves as motivation to improve or to work harder. It's a much better attitude that claiming that they were 'triggered' or something.

I find that this attitude is quite common among successful people. They take the criticism, and they use it to improve. Definitely a great quality in a person.

THIS. So much this.I honestly believe that everyone has the potential to be attractive.

I've met maybe two people in my whole life where I honestly don't think they could be attractive without surgery. I'm in my thirties. I've met A LOT of people. Mostly it's simply a matter of standing up straighter, making slightly better food choices, getting some better fitting clothes, and maybe checking out some make-up tutorials. Basically a days work of research, and some mindfulness in everyday life.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Mostly Marilyn Manson hahah. Probably a little bit of burlesque as well.
I can't believe you'd ignore her great qualities (have you even watched her interviews to see how she carries herself?) just because of a MAN she's been with. The men you've had a relationship with don't define you.

• Agree
I can't believe you'd ignore her great qualities (have you even watched her interviews to see how she carries herself?) just because of a MAN she's been with. The men you've had a relationship with don't define you.
Oh gosh, I'm not defining her by him whatsoever, but I do personally believe that who you date does say something about you. But, I also don't know Marilyn Manson in person. I'm only stating my personal opinion is all, so lay off a bit.

• Agree
^ Well, she's obviously not dating him now. We've all dated assholes at some point.

• Agree