Designer shames thigh gap through fake jewelry

Eternal Summer

Super Star
May 27, 2015
Link here.

/ March 25, 2016 12:59 pm

thighgapmain-500x375.jpg

Have you ever wanted to have a piece of jewelry hang down from your crotch? Because now you can! Well, sort of.

There appears to be a designer creating “thigh-gap jewelry,” basically, necklaces for the space between your thighs. The “jewelry” can run upwards of $195.

thighgap2.jpg

But here’s the catch. They aren’t real.

thighgap1.jpg

The designer Soo Kyung Bae created them as a sort of art-piece to open a discussion about unrealistic standards we have set for women’s bodies. If you try to add the jewelry to your online shopping cart and attempt to buy, it will take you to THIS site.

thighgap.jpg

The text reads, “TGap Jewellery is a fictional company that sells jewelleries designed for thigh gaps. It is launched to catalyze a debate on unrealistic body image social media portrays.”

Oh thank god! We were seriously worried that this was an actual thing that was happening, which is exactly WHY Bae created it.

“The jewellery pieces take the thigh-gap trend to another level, the pieces are created in hopes of sparking questions,” she told Dezeen magazine. “If we let the media keep popularising such unrealistic body ideals, will this eventually become reality?'”

The thigh-gap was one of the first unhealthy practices about body image to go viral. Since the thigh-gap, social media has been overrun with so-called body goals like the viral. Since the thigh-gap, social media has been overrun with so-called body goals like the bikini bridge and the paper challenge that are damaging to women’s self-esteem and physical health as they pressure women to achieve body goals that are unrealistic and potentially harmful.

Hopefully by making fun of the thigh-gap and simultaneously creating a serious art statement, as Bae has, we can stop idolizing these so-called “trends.”
[/URL]

I'm going to say what everyone is probably thinking:

It looks like a representative penis. Super phallic. If they were going to make fake jewelry to say some dumb, skinny body-shaming statement, at least don't have it be a metallic bar going straight out from the crouch. Who would even try to buy that?

Reactions: 4 users
I don't see how this is "shaming" a thigh gap. I would just want the Hope diamond down there instead. ALSO, the whole thigh gap trend (in MASS-consumption rather than here at SG) was over three years ago.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't see how this is "shaming" a thigh gap. I would just want the Hope diamond down there instead. ALSO, the whole thigh gap trend (in MASS-consumption rather than here at SG) was over three years ago.
I don't get it either. That's like saying bracelets "shames" wrists....
That jewelry looks pretty stupid, but I've seen other stupid jewelry so nothing new there.

At least one of the comments under the article pointed out that thigh gaps are often just down to body structure and not always due to a low weight.

In general I'm noticing more sane comments being posted under articles like this which is something, I think.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm going to say what everyone is probably thinking:

It looks like a representative penis. Super phallic. If they were going to make fake jewelry to say some dumb, skinny body-shaming statement, at least don't have it be a metallic bar going straight out from the crouch. Who would even try to buy that?

I bet Amber Skye Forbes would.

Reactions: 9 users
So annoying. No body is 'unrealistic' and I've seen bigger girls with thigh gaps just because they naturally have very wide hips....let's move on.

Reactions: 1 user
Finally! A commercial product that is a literal representation of my figuratively well hung phallus. I wonder if it comes in version that makes more of a statement. I would love for the alphas I work with to know that mine is bigger and more ornate than their's without having to speak cogently.

Reactions: 6 users
Finally! A commercial product that is a literal representation of my figuratively well hung phallus. I wonder if it comes in version that makes more of a statement. I would love for the alphas I work with to know that mine is bigger and more ornate than their's without having to speak cogently.

Just wear a bling'd out strap on hahaha. Bet it'd be cheaper too.

This "unrealistic body standards" conversation is getting old though. Clothing sizes are getting bigger, models are getting fatter; if you STILL can't keep up with adhering to this increasing 'ideal' size, then you're just a fatass and keeping your mouth shut would you do a world of good.

Wow, my life and particularly my body image has changed drastically as a result of jewelry some profound revolutionary made... I AM FINALLY FREE!!!! :mclap:

Why the so-called "thigh gap trend" is a major concern in the face of, I don't know, actual poverty, dwindling fossil fuels/future energy scarcity, the need to cure neurodegenerative diseases, or even the straight-up obesity epidemic and its related problems that burden the healthcare system.... is beyond me. :facepalm:

I find the whole anti thigh gap movement ironic due to the fact that by discussing the whole topic so frequently you are drawing attention to it which essentially undermines the whole purpose. Thigh gaps would've died a long time ago if the ever helpful media didn't discuss it as 'unattainable' and 'unrealistic' which instantly gives it a connotation of something special and rare and makes it appear like a very attractive feature. Personally one of my motives to be skinnier was to obtain a thigh gap after I read multiple articles about how it was unachievable. It's like saying 'Being super beautiful is not for everyone and most people naturally aren't so don't worry'- this just shines a light on how you aren't good enough and this is ineffective at portraying the desired message of 'body positivity!!!1!11'

So it's wrong for skinnies to shame fat asses, but it's right for fat lards to shame skinnies? #hypocrisy #thatdoublestanardtho

I used to think fat people are just fat, but now I am convinced that they are also dumb. Don't they realise the double standard behind all this bullying?

So it's wrong for skinnies to shame fat asses, but it's right for fat lards to shame skinnies? #hypocrisy #thatdoublestanardtho

I used to think fat people are just fat, but now I am convinced that they are also dumb. Don't they realise the double standard behind all this bullying?
Browse the site again and get a feel for the environment, and don't bump threads for pointless reasons.