Date shoes

Silent Night

Community Duchess
Feb 8, 2012
UK
Dear girls, I need shoe advice! Please share your wisdom.

I've been asked out on a date for next weekend :)highfive: to me - it's been a while :oops:). I need to get some new shoes but I don't know what type to choose. The man is a lot older than me and an aristo type. He's a furnishings designer and art collector so I imagine will notice the details.

We haven't fixed the location yet but I'll definitely have to do a bit of walking as he's in London and I'm not. It'll be a daytime date and I'll be in an LBD. I'm looking for shoes that are classic and probably a little conservative, not like a day-glo wedge covered in spikes.

Problem is, I look like a bad tight-rope walker when I try to walk in heels. I need something chic that won't break my ankle but will still give me some poise.

The other problem is, I have very short, very wide feet, and very few shoes will actually fit on them.

I'm willing to drop a bit of money if the shoes are really nice and they fit, but nothing astronomical - cheaper would be better.

Ideas?

Reactions: 1 user
Yay! A date for my SG sweetheart :party:

I think it's a little difficult to choose a shoe without knowing more about the ldb style - maybe you can post a picture of your dress or a similar one?? And what style will you go for overall? Accessories, make-up....

So far, I would 'blindly' recommend a shoe with either Budapester pattern (for the details) maybe even with different colours such as black with a nude to not overwhelm your conservative gentleman, a special color as i.e. a burgundy (classy and sassy..) and for the heel - definitely block over stiletto! And I find it more comfortable to wear something which is 'almost ankle boot'?! Stylish and an eye catcher without going overboard.. something to show you what I'm trying to say:

The Budapester pattern (I don't know what it's called in English..) and a block heel:
marc-opolo-galeria-kaufhof-pumps-hochfrontschnurer-in-rotbraun-gr-45-fur-damen.jpg

Forget about the colour (although the red of that lining would be awesome!! Maybe a little too catchy though..): the pattern is nice, the heel is bearable, it's an ankle-ish cut as well so easier to wear, deals perfectly with wide feet if you buy half a/ one size bigger (worked for me..)
gortz-goertz-pumps-17-schnurpumps-in-silber-schuhe-fur-damen.jpg

Ankle boot with a nice red-ish colour and a good texture of the material:
zalando-pumps-victoria-delef-high-heel-pumps-jacinto.jpg

A 'simple' shoe yet with an interesting twist without being too stylish:
goertz-pumps-perret-schaad-cutoutpumps-paris-in-taupe-schuhe-fur-damen.jpg

and in black (this one looks a little more feminine as well..):
clarks-zalando-pumps-azizi-india-pumps-black.jpg

Otherwise I would recommend Peep-toes in a nude colour or black with ruby nails or Mary-Janes in general - I love Mary-Janes and they are classy yet interesting with that little strap, make feet look a little less hideous and easier to wear (the shoes not the hideous feet..).
All this gives a classic almost conservative look an interesting and stylish twist without looking like a ridiculous 'attention-whore-fashionista'.
And most important: good material! I believe you are vegan?? At least you don't eat meat I'm pretty sure so I don't know whether you wear leather at all?? Suede is always classic, velvet (no leather) is gorgeous (especially in those gemstone colours but I guess that could be a little too 'fashionable'.. :grin:) or go for patent leather of course! But there are plenty of faux-leather materials that look very similar as well..

I know, all those shoes above don't look really pretty but shopstyle.com had a very poor range this time.. I'm not the best person to 'ask' when it comes to shoe shopping either (sorry that I replied though :whistling:)

And just right now I notice why the heck did I write all this???? It's you!!! Seriously why do you worry about what shoes to wear?? You have a dress already so that makes sure for you actually being able to show up at that date :lol: so what?! Sealed the deal already - just start with a smile and some of your puns and - ZAP - he's totally in love: HAPPY END!!

Just have fun, wear your smile and your lovely personality and you can go barefeet without him even noticing..
Go for it and have a great date!!!! :kiss:

Dear girls, I need shoe advice! Please share your wisdom.

I've been asked out on a date for next weekend :)highfive: to me - it's been a while :oops:). I need to get some new shoes but I don't know what type to choose. The man is a lot older than me and an aristo type. He's a furnishings designer and art collector so I imagine will notice the details.

We haven't fixed the location yet but I'll definitely have to do a bit of walking as he's in London and I'm not. It'll be a daytime date and I'll be in an LBD. I'm looking for shoes that are classic and probably a little conservative, not like a day-glo wedge covered in spikes.

Problem is, I look like a bad tight-rope walker when I try to walk in heels. I need something chic that won't break my ankle but will still give me some poise.

The other problem is, I have very short, very wide feet, and very few shoes will actually fit on them.

I'm willing to drop a bit of money if the shoes are really nice and they fit, but nothing astronomical - cheaper would be better.

Ideas?

I'm happy for you, and I'm sure your date will be amazing ;)
so, if you want something elegant, conservative but not heels or something strange...I'll go for DERBY SHOES (OXFORD shoes, i don't know with which name you know them)
i love them, even if they are "for men", I feel confident and feminine when I put them...plus, they're good for every place and are ok with skirts, dresses, trousers! you can find them everywhere and even cheap (mine are from H&M :)
hope you like the idea, if not I won't feel offended ;) good luck for your date!
what-to-wear-with-Oxford-shoes1.jpg

tumblr_l783w36jF61qbeoyq.jpg

alexa_chung.png

Thank you so much everyone - these ideas are fantastic :luv:. I'll go shopping tomorrow and let you know what I turn up.

I spent ~7hrs pretend online shoe shopping today; the sad news is I can only ever really love £450+ shoes :nopity:. Woe.

He's a clear foot taller than me so he might not be able to see my feet anyway :grin:

Sounds like a plan to me?! :lol:

Other idea: BE CREATIVE!
Maler-heiner-pistorius-pinsel.jpg

And leave some footprints in the streets.... :lol:
Feet%25252520-%25252520Alien.jpg

I'm sure you can paint some shoes as well ;)

I'm sorry for my super useless post yesterday, I didn't understand you were looking for NO heels at all - I thought just no killer heels :rolleyes:

but the paint thing should make up for it, no?! :lol:
Have fun!!

So far, I would 'blindly' recommend a shoe with either Budapester pattern (for the details) maybe even with different colours such as black with a nude to not overwhelm your conservative gentleman, a special color as i.e. a burgundy (classy and sassy..) and for the heel - definitely block over stiletto! And I find it more comfortable to wear something which is 'almost ankle boot'?! Stylish and an eye catcher without going overboard.. something to show you what I'm trying to say:

The Budapester pattern (I don't know what it's called in English..) and a block heel:
marc-opolo-galeria-kaufhof-pumps-hochfrontschnurer-in-rotbraun-gr-45-fur-damen.jpg

I got ones like these in three types of oxblood leather - patent, suede and (fake) lizard skin. Decided I had really better get heels and pretend to be of normal height, at least for the first date :oops:

Thank you all! :luv:

I got ones like these in three types of oxblood leather - patent, suede and (fake) lizard skin. Decided I had really better get heels and pretend to be of normal height, at least for the first date :oops:

Thank you all! :luv:

mmmmmh, I see this with a happy alien foot and with a sad alien foot to be honest....

:lol::lol:

No, sorry.... I'm really happy for you that you could find some shoes you feel comfortable with! And I have to say they sound really awesome!!!! I loooove that colour :luv:

*fingers crossed for successful pretending* :grin:

I wish you both an amazing date :kiss: