Daily Mail's blunt new article! what do you think?

@perkybones, don't be sorry. I didn't mean I don't like the article I actually like that woman's view and agree with most of what was said, it needed to be said. it's just what got me was that it was like she was mad because those fat girls seemed to be happy and wearing the clothes they did that she thought they shouldn't have been. Like they should be sad and depressed for their weight. I've been there and have felt incredibly insecure about my size before even though I've never even been anywhere near average but Just because a person is bigger I would never ever wish for them to be depressed and hide. I mean come on they were at the airport on their way to probably a holiday I didn't realize they had to be depressed. She took a 5 minutes of what she observed and generalized it. She made it sound as those crochet shorts weren't meant to be for that girl. How do we know whether when she went to the store she wasn't crying about not finding anything her size or that was the only thing or whatever else. Ok I get it some clothes some girls shouldn't wear. Again I also don't like a lot of the stuff that fat people wear and feel they shouldn't, they should wear the right size and for the body they have but some of it seemed like a bit harsh or it came out a little mean to me.

I completely agree. I wouldn't wish the amount of insecurity/low self esteem I feel over my weight on anyone. If they are confident enough to wear those things, I am very happy for them and I wish I could have the amount of confidence it takes to wear skimpy/tight clothes in a body that isn't skinny.

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely agree. I wouldn't wish the amount of insecurity/low self esteem I feel over my weight on anyone. If they are confident enough to wear those things, I am very happy for them and I wish I could have the amount of confidence it takes to wear skimpy/tight clothes in a body that isn't skinny.

Yeah. I would be lying if I said I never looked at a fat girl wearing skimpy clothing and thought "she shouldn't be wearing that", I don't personally find it attractive, and I do think that it's ridiculous how commonplace and normal obesity has become. But ultimately, I don't think it's very helpful for fat girls to feel totally ashamed of themselves and feel the need to hide. I mean, yes they should be encouraged to be healthy and lose weight but I don't think anyone should hate themselves. At the end of the day we all have choices to make, and while I may not agree with/like theirs, it's up to them on how they eat/dress/whatever...

Btw i wasnt sure where to post this
Thanks for posting this article! Gave you some Karma :kiss:;)

I agree with a lot of what she said in the article however it seems to me she's doesn't understand why those girls seemed to be happy and wearing skimpy clothes. Now don't get me wrong, I hate fat rolls and I can't stand how girls can walk out the door dressed the way they do with their size. Even when I wasn't the size I am today I wasn't anywhere near average size but on thin side but I was way to embarrassed to wear a sleeveless top. I'm sorry but if they feel confident and happy we shouldn't tell them how to dress and we shouldn't be mean about it even if we don't like it. I've cried many times about the size of my boobies but I didn't ever let anyone see that, there are moments in my life when I'm laughing or whatever, how can someone tell that I was unhappy and secretly wished I weighed like a little girl. We don't know whether the girls are truly happy about their weight and she made it sound as though those girls are doing nothing to reduce their size. She doesn't know that and she can't just learn that by standing behind them for 5 minutes. Yes I agree there are a lot of fatties out there that are lazy and don't do anything about it and again I would probably judge too if I see fatties eating a bag of crisps when they really shouldn't. I agree that it's and issue and I agree that mothers should stop tiptoeing around the problem. Fat is a problem and we have to do something about it and we can't ignore the costs that fatties are contributing to the society and to themselves.

Agreed.

EDIT: Just saw that this article was also posted by @doors-of-perception - so I merged the two threads :kiss:

I agree with a lot of what she said in the article however it seems to me she's doesn't understand why those girls seemed to be happy and wearing skimpy clothes. Now don't get me wrong, I hate fat rolls and I can't stand how girls can walk out the door dressed the way they do with their size. Even when I wasn't the size I am today I wasn't anywhere near average size but on thin side but I was way to embarrassed to wear a sleeveless top. I'm sorry but if they feel confident and happy we shouldn't tell them how to dress and we shouldn't be mean about it even if we don't like it. I've cried many times about the size of my boobies but I didn't ever let anyone see that, there are moments in my life when I'm laughing or whatever, how can someone tell that I was unhappy and secretly wished I weighed like a little girl. We don't know whether the girls are truly happy about their weight and she made it sound as though those girls are doing nothing to reduce their size. She doesn't know that and she can't just learn that by standing behind them for 5 minutes. Yes I agree there are a lot of fatties out there that are lazy and don't do anything about it and again I would probably judge too if I see fatties eating a bag of crisps when they really shouldn't. I agree that it's and issue and I agree that mothers should stop tiptoeing around the problem. Fat is a problem and we have to do something about it and we can't ignore the costs that fatties are contributing to the society and to themselves.

@perkybones, don't be sorry. I didn't mean I don't like the article I actually like that woman's view and agree with most of what was said, it needed to be said. it's just what got me was that it was like she was mad because those fat girls seemed to be happy and wearing the clothes they did that she thought they shouldn't have been. Like they should be sad and depressed for their weight. I've been there and have felt incredibly insecure about my size before even though I've never even been anywhere near average but Just because a person is bigger I would never ever wish for them to be depressed and hide. I mean come on they were at the airport on their way to probably a holiday I didn't realize they had to be depressed. She took a 5 minutes of what she observed and generalized it. She made it sound as those crochet shorts weren't meant to be for that girl. How do we know whether when she went to the store she wasn't crying about not finding anything her size or that was the only thing or whatever else. Ok I get it some clothes some girls shouldn't wear. Again I also don't like a lot of the stuff that fat people wear and feel they shouldn't, they should wear the right size and for the body they have but some of it seemed like a bit harsh or it came out a little mean to me.

tumblr_lq2u0cmb2s1qii6tmo1_500.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Despite being a smoker and therefore a hypocrite, I'm going to go along with the author's smoking analogy: if a smoker feels happy and proud about their habit, going about in public, bothering other people with it (personally, second-hand smoke is less uncomfortable to me than the sore sight of a whale in booty shorts), I'm going to think they're an idiot. You have a health problem, how are you going to solve it if you're happy about it to the point of flaunting it?

@classichic, I get where you're coming from with the confidence issues, I haven't worn a bikini in 7 years due to such thinking. But I really don't think it's the same if you hate a healthy, 'normal' body, and hating your crippling health hazard. Self hate is such a useless emotion no one should ever feel, but a healthy dose of critical thinking and even tiny amounts of shame and disgust can be highly motivational in battling physical and mental health problems (obesity, addiction). I know it sounds harsh and a bit archaic (with all the new age ''Love every part of yourself'' psychology bullshit), but honestly, most people are so incredibly lazy that they motivate themselves to improve their lives if they're happy with the way things currently are.

Oh my god the comments are so hilarious.
"Sounds a bit like you're envious."
"I feel some jealousy here."
Why is it that the go to fatty retort is to (absurdly) claim that the person is jealous? :lol:

@classichic, I get where you're coming from with the confidence issues, I haven't worn a bikini in 7 years due to such thinking. But I really don't think it's the same if you hate a healthy, 'normal' body, and hating your crippling health hazard. Self hate is such a useless emotion no one should ever feel, but a healthy dose of critical thinking and even tiny amounts of shame and disgust can be highly motivational in battling physical and mental health problems (obesity, addiction). I know it sounds harsh and a bit archaic (with all the new age ''Love every part of yourself'' psychology bullshit), but honestly, most people are so incredibly lazy that they motivate themselves to improve their lives if they're happy with the way things currently are.

But, to me that doesn't come off as critical thinking. It won't do anything to motivate those to do something. What she said in the article was a size 0 model advertised a crochet shorts and when the fat girl wore those she has extra layer of fat. So in other words the shorts only look good on size 0. She made a judgement and said that those girls were obviously unconcerned about their size. Again she can't possibly make that judgement at an airport. I can understand if she made that judgement in a restaurant watching those girls stuff their faces. But what can those girls do in an airport to show they are "concerned" about their size? Wearing layers of clothing will just keep fat out of sight but it's still there. It's good for us because we don't have to see the fat rolls it but the fat issue is still present and affects us all. I understand she was using this to highlight the main point of the issue but to me she just coms as though I don't like fat so you shouldn't either. If someone did that for skinny girls I would ignore it, I would think ok they don't like the skinny look. So again, a good 60% of fat people that reads this will think she doesn't like fat, she's anti-fat and they will ignore it and won't do anything about their health or even be concerned about what implications their health will have. The second part was fine for me and I agree with that, I just wish she didn't use the airport scenario.

But, to me that doesn't come off as critical thinking. It won't do anything to motivate those to do something. What she said in the article was a size 0 model advertised a crochet shorts and when the fat girl wore those she has extra layer of fat. So in other words the shorts only look good on size 0. She made a judgement and said that those girls were obviously unconcerned about their size. Again she can't possibly make that judgement at an airport. I can understand if she made that judgement in a restaurant watching those girls stuff their faces. But what can those girls do in an airport to show they are "concerned" about their size? Wearing layers of clothing will just keep fat out of sight but it's still there. It's good for us because we don't have to see the fat rolls it but the fat issue is still present and affects us all. I understand she was using this to highlight the main point of the issue but to me she just coms as though I don't like fat so you shouldn't either. If someone did that for skinny girls I would ignore it, I would think ok they don't like the skinny look. So again, a good 60% of fat people that reads this will think she doesn't like fat, she's anti-fat and they will ignore it and won't do anything about their health or even be concerned about what implications their health will have. The second part was fine for me and I agree with that, I just wish she didn't use the airport scenario.

I'll agree with you on the first part - you can't make a judgement about someone's relationship with their body based on seeing them at the airport for a couple of minutes. They may have just started a healthy diet, or they may have been even fatter and are wearing the crochet shorts because they're happy with their weight loss progress (although, statistically speaking, these most likely aren't the case, and the girls were just some of the many many fatties that simply don't have any self control so they stuff their faces and then put on a pair of shorts thinking ''Real women have curves'').

I honestly don't like people trying to make their anti-fat/anti-skinny comments seem like health advice and concern, because for the most part it's not. When I make a comment about someone being hideously fat, it's either because I'm truly shocked with their size or because I'm trying to be funny (sometimes both), I couldn't give a shit if some unknown landwhale stuffed themselves with McDonald's to the point of diabetes, I don't want to help them, I just don't want them to be near me. So yeah, the concern over them seeming unconcerned is a bit conceited and dim, but as for the ''I don't like fat so you shouldn't either'' - well, yeah... ''I don't like smoking/drugs/alcoholism so you shouldn't either because it's a disease that is ruining you and also disrupting my life (whether by simply making it aesthetically less pleasing, or by something more concrete - stepping on used needles in parks or having less space in a bus because you're sitting next to someone huge or making my throat dry with your cigarette smoke)''.

but as for the ''I don't like fat so you shouldn't either'' - well, yeah... ''I don't like smoking/drugs/alcoholism so you shouldn't either because it's a disease that is ruining you and also disrupting my life (whether by simply making it aesthetically less pleasing, or by something more concrete - stepping on used needles in parks or having less space in a bus because you're sitting next to someone huge or making my throat dry with your cigarette smoke)''.

I see your point here, haha I don't sit near a fat person or a smoker in public spaces.

I agree with @classichic and her opinions on the article. I do want to remind everyone though that this is the Daily Mail, or Daily Fail (or even Daily Heil as a former co worker put it)--they are going to have some sensationalist aspect to the article and I'm thinking that this airport scenario is it. I've never been out to Luton either, but I can safely say, spending some time out in Essex this summer (where husband's family is), I've seen my fair share of girls who fit the author's description in terms of clothing choice. While over the top, I think that there is something to be said about the message of this article. Just how people who are visibly dealing with an ED (as in beyond skinny and severely underweight) shouldn't be celebrated or emulated, neither should women who are clearly morbidly obese. I saw some documentary on Channel 4 awhile back about the whole "big, beautiful women" thing (or however that is called). While of course the network didn't say that this mindset was okay, it showed women who are large, actively trying to get larger to the detriment of their health, and being praised for it- like the total reverse of a pro ana site. I don't think that this is checked enough and there is a growing sentiment that it's okay to be overweight.

Massive rant sorry! Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. :rant:

I absolutely agree with classichic. I think the fat acceptance movement is potentially harmful if done wrong, but I also think that at the airport, those girls shouldn't be looked down upon for being happy. Most people have horrible eating habits, at least in my area though >>;;