COVID-19 magazine covers

You forgot the best one:
View attachment 79405

Yes, it's real.

Maybe the message is that we need to realize obesity is an epidemic šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ Otherwise I canā€™t understand how an xxl size lady can cover a Vogue issue.
Thatā€™s what I call a complete disaster:
302FA60A-5F40-4038-BC71-9F499A5547CE.jpeg

• Funny
  • Gross
Reactions: 3 users
Honestly I'm so over all the magazine covers that are some cheesy riff on mask fashion Ć  la Magritte's The Kiss or otherwise overly self aware "it's quarantine so we can't have a photoshoot, here take a twee illustration/empty landscape!!" from these past few months. Highly unoriginal and a real sign of how much magazines rely on their access to starpower to carry a lackluster photoshoot concept.

The cover shoots that have caught my eye have been the self-shot ones from the models' quarantine spaces. I think love seeing how they look at themselves, and what they're able to create with limited resources. I don't have many examples, would love to find more like these though if anyone knows of any!!

Robert-Pattinson-GQ-June-July-2020-Cover.jpg

Robert Pattinson for GQ - June/July 2020

R1340_COV_BadBunny.jpg

Bad Bunny for Rolling Stone - June 2020 (shot by his girlfriend!)

Reactions: 1 users
I hate Vogue UK covers. They're trying to be too meaningful but the images are just boring.

From Vogue Portugal I loved the second one, with the model sitting in the "beach". However, I didn't understand the first one...

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

The covers with masks are so beautiful but also cringe to me because we're not supposed to be in that close of contact with people yet for artistic purposes the photographer chose to risk spreading the virus through two people? It's an unlikely circumstance but I'm just surprised people aren't getting worked up over this. Personally, I don't care. I just find it a bit counterproductive in terms of "message".

The covers with masks are so beautiful but also cringe to me because we're not supposed to be in that close of contact with people yet for artistic purposes the photographer chose to risk spreading the virus through two people? It's an unlikely circumstance but I'm just surprised people aren't getting worked up over this. Personally, I don't care. I just find it a bit counterproductive in terms of "message".

The models are a couple. Sean Oā€™Pry & Fernanda Liz

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Vogue Portugal July/August 2020
View attachment 85519

I just know that people got triggered about it bc it looks like a mental hospital?

Article in the Guardian about the backlash to the cover:

How is this cover ā€œglamourisingā€ mental illness? The magazine has literally depicted a mental institution, but thereā€™s nothing ā€œfashionā€ about it. I personally like the mental health theme. I think itā€™s an important issue to discuss, particularly in recent times what with everything happening with COVID. I appreciate that Vogue tried to take a risk by commenting on mental health issues (always a controversial topic), but if youā€™re going to do so, at least try and be a bit more creative. This cover is too safe IMO. Iā€™d go so far as to say that the problem with the cover is its lack of fashion. Vogue Portugal is a fashion magazine after all. It is possible to use artistic expression to shine a light on mental health issues and "make it fashion" at the same time. For example, this cover for Vogue Italia in July 2007:

vogueitalia1.jpg

Some other images from that editorial:

vogueitalia2.jpg

vogueitalia3.jpg

vogueitalia4.jpg

vogueitalia5.jpg

vogueitalia6.jpg

vogueitalia7.jpg

vogueitalia8.jpg

vogueitalia9.jpg

Sorry for spamming with so many photos - I just think this editorial is fantastic. In comparison, the Vogue Portugal cover is awful.
No fashion whatsoever. I wish Vogue Portugal had tried to incorporate at least some fashion in this cover. No doubt they still wouldā€™ve received backlash for ā€œglamourisingā€ mental illness but whatever...people get angry for just about everything these days.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 7 users